Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrazel View Post
What happens is condensation forms in the exhaust pipes and then gets blown back by the exhaust flow and stains the tailpipes black.
Exactly!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #16

Black soot means it's burning rich. Same with spark plugs.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jon Brazel and DriVer are correct. If your not sure with there answer, talk to Keith Shomaker at Redlands Truck and RV . Oh, and by the way my 8.1 also has black residue since new.

Ed
Old 03-07-2011, 06:35 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Actually my exhaust pipes (stock) exit in front of the rear tires so the length of the pipes is not very long at all. In terms of heat I'm not sure how hot these run but you sure wouldn't want to touch the exhaust tips when the engine is running. I've had many gas motor homes with much longer exhaust pipes that never showed soot. Having said this I have no issues with the way my 8.1 runs. It is by far the best engine/transmission/chassis I have ever owned.

JoeG

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #19

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Did the other motor homes have dual 3" pipes?
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrazel View Post
The black soot is actually not from the engine running rich. What causes this is the design of the exhaust system. Workhorses have 2 3" exhaust pipes that run the length of the coach and towards the back it does not get hot enough to burn out all the carbon like on most automobiles. What happens is condensation forms in the exhaust pipes and then gets blown back by the exhaust flow and stains the tailpipes black.
Jon, why don't I have soot like I did before my ECM was reprogrammed by your shop?

Bob
Old 03-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #21

It could be that the fuel burned in the combustion chamber is not 100% efficient thus the remainder is blown out on the exhaust stroke of the engine. For instance if the fuel is burning at 90% then 10% is being wasted, now if we can figure out how to burn that extra 10% for energy that would pick up some mileage.

Mike Bronzini
Mike Bronzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bronzini View Post
It could be that the fuel burned in the combustion chamber is not 100% efficient thus the remainder is blown out on the exhaust stroke of the engine. For instance if the fuel is burning at 90% then 10% is being wasted, now if we can figure out how to burn that extra 10% for energy that would pick up some mileage.

Mike Bronzini
Mike, Perhaps just bumping up the ignition a dab would duit.

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #23

When I bought my 2000, 454 I didn't notice soot until the check engine light went on, checking codes found an O2 sensor was bad, replaced and heavy soot stopped, but it is still black, so it might be right to be black but not so much that it washes out when moisture in exhaust drips on warmup.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
You can’t compare the Workhorse W22 chassis to others. I have seen more black soot on the WH W22 chassis than others and they all do it. What I hate is when I first start it and idle while I bring in the slides and levelers and the condensation spits black soot on my cement slab.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
If it's a diesel (sounds like it's not) there better be some black soot.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Steve Brazel and I had this discussion some time ago while tuning my 8.1 for fuel trims and MAF calibration. We suspect that GM uses raw fuel to cool the CATs and thus the black sooty pipes.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #27

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I did a bit of research on this a few years ago, I tested several coaches that had the black deposits with a 5-gas analyzer and found that the exhaust was normal...not running rich. I tested under various loads, speed, rpm's on our dyno and no issues. I came to the conclusion that the design of the exhaust system along with the fuel addition to cool the cats was the most likely cause.

Steve
Brazel's RV Performance
Old 03-14-2011, 06:20 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech@brazelsrv View Post
I did a bit of research on this a few years ago, I tested several coaches that had the black deposits with a 5-gas analyzer and found that the exhaust was normal...not running rich. I tested under various loads, speed, rpm's on our dyno and no issues. I came to the conclusion that the design of the exhaust system along with the fuel addition to cool the cats was the most likely cause.
Steve, Thank you for the information. We keep bringing up this issue over the years however the answer remains the same.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote