Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Most states limit the time an insurance company has to settle a claim, or at least make a 'bona fide' offer (the period starts once you've given them full proof of claim and all reasonably necessary documentation). Ours is 30 days, I suspect that is fairly standard. You may want to check both the state in which you purchased the policy, and the state in which the work is being done, either could apply. If that period has expired I'd call the company, advise them that as that period has expired you'll be generous and give them 24 hours to come up with a definitive plan, that gets repairs underway immediately, or you'll be contacting the state insurance commissioner.

Good luck.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Will try to be short and sweet. We purchased 2006 Monaco Dynasty decided to opt for Premium warranty. Read all fine print etc, thought was great insurance. Cummins engine blew was about $6000.00 repair.
Will not go into all the ugly details of trying to work with the insurance company. Suffice to say we found out a lot of interesting facts, they "contract" out their inspectors and he did not think there was an issue.He also lied about when he showed up to inspect the engine and we knew it was a lie as the company we took it to for repair was closed the time and day he logged in he had "inspected".
They denied the claim, Cummins came thru with warranty due to miles, they were amazing.
After MANY phone calls, letters and "discussions" we canceled the policy and they could not understand why. We will never make that mistake again, period. They are all about taking your money and then trying to get out of everything they "cover"!
I am generally very low key and easy going but must say I had a few choice words for the agent prior to cancelling. RV dealers love to sell the insurance due to the profit they make....
BarkAvenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Pat, there is probably a difference in the cam because of where the torque rpm range needs to be. I would think that an motor for a pickup truck would be the same. Something to consider is a super heavy duty oil pump shaft in the new motor. They are only about $15 and don't use that plastic coupler.
Moroso 22080 - Moroso Heavy-Duty Oil Pump Intermediate Shafts - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Mike that heavy duty part does not fit an 8.1

Mike
Old 06-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for all the feedback. I heard from the Protective Co. and they have authorized the work. The Reman. engine will have a 3yr/100,000 miles. I just hope it's the proper engine, slated for a MH application. As far as I understand, from Workhorse, is the difference in the exhaust manifold and the water pump. So, I will wait and see how all this plays out. I expect it to take week or two to remove and replace the engine. I will be during a good and thorough test drive and inspection. I will have a good test drive just going back home (Memphis to Minneapolis). Thanks again for all your thoughts and advice. Will keep you updated. Pat
lilgreek7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
From information I have seen, others may have better detail also, but when an extended policy, is sold by a dealer, they get something on the order of 50% of the policy price. This is somewhat confirmed by the fact that I have priced simular policys,(not through a dealer) and seen the price to be about that amount lower. The dealer is not doing you a favor by selling you the policy, he is padding his profit, for a very few minutes of work.
pkmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:44 AM   #20

Last year we bought our MH as is. Five days later and 700 miles from home, it threw a rod. We were at Corbin, KY and had a new Jasper 454 put in it. The truck repair place had it done in under two weeks and at a cost of $7,100.00
We figured that it was just "One of those things in life". I have a real nice looking 95 Brave with a brand new engine now. I hope things straighten out for you and you can go relaxing and enjoy your MH.
Be sure to read your warranty. You will have to change the break in oil. For mine it was at 700 miles. Keep all your receipts.
CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
You should get in touch with motorhome magazine. Hotline column is great in building a fire under people. These people don't like for their dirty little secrets to get out. You can go online and contact them.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #22

i dont mean to be an "i told you so' but if you had bought a diesel pusher in the beginning this whole conversation wud not be happening. live and learn.
buki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:55 AM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I could also say if you had bought a Ford in the beginning, this whole conversation would not be happening, but I would be just as wrong.

Keith
Old 06-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #24
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I had the oil pump extension shaft shear it's dog legs causing immediate oil pressure failure. I was lucky enough to stop the coach immediately. When I contacted Workhorse they paid for the problem even though I had slightly over 36,000 miles on the unit (again a 2003). I was told that they had "farmed" out some of the oil extension shafts and that they were overtempered. The representative even told me that one unit just made it off of the dealers lot befor it failed.
When he said that mine had gone the longest - I asked if I "won" a new coach. Ha HA but they did pick up the bill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9918 (Small).JPG
Views:	148
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	11237  
Old 06-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #25

It does not matter what engine you have including diesel it can fail at any moment. I worked fighter jets and those engines would fail with 1 hour or 600.
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buki View Post
i dont mean to be an "i told you so' but if you had bought a diesel pusher in the beginning this whole conversation wud not be happening. live and learn.
Diesels BLOW up also!
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, didnt mean to get a flame going. I'm waiting for the call from the Chevy dealership saying my unit is ready for pick up. I sure hope and pray that everything is working and ready to roll. What is your opinion about pulling a toad back home with the new motor? I don't think it's a good idea. Plus I believe there will be a break-in period. I probably will have to vary in my speeds on the way home. I may even head east to Chattanooga for a test run. Just in case there is any problems that need to be taken care of. Please give me some feedback. If its not a good idea, I will have to fly down to Memphis to retrieve it. Thanks again.

P.S. I live in Wisconsin
lilgreek7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:04 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreek7 View Post
Please give me some feedback. If its not a good idea, I will have to fly down to Memphis to retrieve it. Thanks again.
lilgreek7, You go down there with your car and you pull that sucker back home. I would not worry about any break-in stuff. The engine is warrantied for 3 years or 100,000 miles - go for it! You spent enough money.

Now on the other hand, if time is of concern to you flying one way and driving home will take you half the time or less. It's all up to you but I would not be afraid to pull my toad.

Don't be afraid to kick that new engine in the butt. Don't baby the thing whatever you do. It's a big motor and you got to let er' run.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote