Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
blown engine, now what?

After owning this Dolphin 36' MH for approximately 4 months and 4000 miles later, the oil pump shaft decides to break. Its a 2003 workhorse with 39000 miles on it when I purchased it. I'm thinking it was a great idea that I bought the extended warranty when I purchased the unit. The MH sits in a Chevy dealership in Memphis, also a authorized workhorse dealer. Seems like all the ducks are in order.....Well XtraRide, Protective, seems to be just sitting on their hands wondering how and where they can find the cheapest engine to be authorized to be put in my MH. When I paid over $4000 for the policy and paid the higher rate for the "Platinum Package", I assumed there would be no hassles with any of my claims. Actually I was thinking I probably wouldnt even get the chance to use this policy. Thank God I got it. But why do they have to take so long and search for the cheapest deal for them. Since May 19th my MH has been sitting in a dealership 500 miles away. Has anyone out here ever had a claim with the company, Protective? Exclusively endorsed by RVDA, seems like they would act alittle bit faster and smoother for their policy holders. The engine the dealership gave them a estimate is from Crate engine depot. It's a 8.1L reman. engine. Would this engine company confirm that this engine they may send is designed for a MH, not just a SUV or truck? Wouldn't the engine components, ( cam, pistons, etc.) be different in a engine going into a MH ? Please advise and add your opinions. Thanks, Pat
lilgreek7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have they actually authorized replacement or are they still deciding if it's going to be covered?
Makes no difference that you paid for the Platinum package, they will still try to get out of it or go the cheapest route. If they can do a rebuild and save $100 that's what will happen.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought my MH new along with the extended warranty so this may or may not pertain to you. I had to show my maintenance records and receipts from the day I had bought it brqand new. They took a very long time to make a decision. I wrote letters to the insurance commisioners and the BBB in CO and NY and that seemed to get them moving, took about 6 weeks I believe. They paid $13,000 and I had a $50 deductible but the shop would'nt do it unless I came up with another $1000 for a "New GM engine". It was not RV specific and the water pump and a few other things had to be swapped from my blown engine.
I always wondered if you bought a used unit , would the ESP insist on maintenance record from the time the unit was new. I hope they don't pull that on you.
Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
All of these insurance companies work under the same premise. If they can save a buck,that is the road they will take. They must have computer programs to weight the odds. Things like repairing a radiator that even the repair company says will fail again but it is cheaper to repair than replace so they will go with the repair counting on the odds that your policy will expire before they have to reparir/replace it again. And since there is no provision for what happens to you while your coach is down they really don't care if you are stuck in a motel or worse. I really can't say that extended warranty policies are any worse than any other insurance policy. It's just the way the game is played.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, they told the dealership that they are going the engine replacement, but still searching for the best deal. We all know that cheapest isn't always the best way to go. The shop found that the oil pump shaft failed and broke. I had all the work that the RV dealership did for me before I purchased it. It included alot of detailing work and they changed engine, generator oil. The day before it broke down I had a engine light on checked out at the same dealership where it is today. It was diagnosed as a oxy sensor and had the brake recall done. I was told that it was already done before I bought it. You guys on here told me to be sure it was done, when I mentioned here that I was going to buy it. They either lied or got bad info from the previous owner. I paid my deductible (200.00) then for that inspection. But the warranty co. wants me to pay another deductible for this episode because they say it's a different issue, less than 36 hrs. later. But I guess I wont argue that matter.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:01 PM   #6

Deny, Delay, Defend

Deny, Delay, Defend. The three words all insurance companies live by. First they try to Deny that the incident was covered. But it sounds like they can't really deny this one. So, now they are in phase 2, Delay. If they delay long enough, you will get frustrated and agree to something you shouldn't have to do. It is an emotional thing that they are counting on. You get emotional and make a snap decsion, maybe not the best one. You will probably not get to Defend, that means you hire a lawyer. Don't be tempted to do it unless you really feel they are doing something illegal. Patients is your best friend. Just wait them out and you will get what you deserve. About 6 months is as long as it will go. Anything longer than that and you can get the State Attorney involved.

Call them about once a week. Document every call, who you talked to, what they said, etc. E-mail is good, because it gives you a written copy. Play their game. Wait them out. It will be the easiest money you ever made.....
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Mike. I have a bad experience with my last rv. It's sad the way companies operate like this. I won't even go into what happened the last time, it makes me still get mad about it. What it boiled down to was taking them to small claims court. All the evidence I had was awesome. Just like you said, all the converses with everyone, dates, times, names. I even got a written statement from the correcting mechanic, but failed to get it notarized. The judge came out and told me that if I had had it notarized I would have won. But in the same token he made it to where I could bring them back to court..lol So much for that. Hate to think of this going that far. I just want my MH back so I can get on the road. Thanks for your feedback
Old 06-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry this happened to you but thank goodness for the extended wty. It really is too bad some companies have to do business like this.

While I haven't had to have an engine replaced, every claim I've submitted on my EZ Care policy (including replacing my Winegard Satellite dish) has been paid immediately without me ever even having to speak with anyone at EZ Care. They have always worked directly with the dealer or shop doing the work.

Best of luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Warranty companies seem to be the bad guys, but in my case the Repair Facilitry is who is being the buttheads and I am seething mad now at the 8 week point!

The 8.1 suffered catastrophic failure. Had to be towed to Repair facility 135 miles away. Rt 66 warranty only covered 300 dollars of towing, which with a motorhome wont get you hooked up. Luckily had AAA Plus with RV coverage and they paid first 100 miles, I paid the rest. Went to Chevy Dealer in Kernersville, NC and they were also "Authorized WorkHorse Repair Facility". Took the dealer from 14 April until 16 May just to get the motor out of M/H. Seems they did not have the lift to remove it and stalled and diverted until I threatened to have it towed to another dealer, then they made their own lift. Once motor was out RT 66 inspected and authorized replacement in 2 days. The Dealer balked, whined, insisted I cancel the warranty and pony up the $17,000.00 so they could install a WorkHorse complete crate engine. This BS went on for 10 days until I again threatened to have it moved to a competant facility. Motor ordered and delivered in 3 days by Rt 66, then Chevy Dealer whined it was an incomplete motor, meaning it was a short block from Dahmer Powertrains and simply needed the accessories transferred from the donor motor to the new engine. What a horrible experience and all the fault of an incompetant dealer whining like an 8 year old trying to make big bucks from an RV owner that could not afford to stay in a little town 600 miles away from home and watch these clowns.

I am disgusted and mad as hell and wondering if others have ever been treated this way...

Be safe, Enjoy the Open Roads... Thank A Vet for your freedoms.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:56 AM   #10

Sorry of all of your troubles. Did the motor seize up or did you shut it off when it lost oil pressure? If you shut it off when it lost oil pressure the engine should be repairable by replacing the oil pump and pickup tube? As best I can see most of these after market insurance policies are a problem getting them to pay a claim. However I do beleave the dealer doing the work creates a large part of the problems as well. Just seems like everyone wants to reach in our pocket, and don't have any clue what good customer service is. $17,000.00 is a bunch of money for GM 8.1 engine swap, a new GM crate Long block should be around 8K (new not rebuilt) and another 4k to install. So here's the the problem I was talking about, dealer trying to charge the insurance 17k for a 12k job, and the insurance co trying to get out of paying anything at all. Sounds like calls to the BBB are in order, and some paid legal councel may be in order to help resolve your issues. You might also call Workhorse about their Dealer, as I'm sure they don't want the bad rap because of a poor quality dealer.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:18 AM   #11

Workhorse is the chasis manufacture, not the engine. The engine is manufactured by GM; those same people that went bankrupt and resurfaced with taxpayers money. 12k to put a remanufacured engine in is robbery. A remanufactured engine should be less than 4k.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:42 AM   #12

Pat, there is probably a difference in the cam because of where the torque rpm range needs to be. I would think that an motor for a pickup truck would be the same. Something to consider is a super heavy duty oil pump shaft in the new motor. They are only about $15 and don't use that plastic coupler.
Moroso 22080 - Moroso Heavy-Duty Oil Pump Intermediate Shafts - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #13

Pat the 8.1 GM V8 is a HD truck motor only from 1 ton on up to 23000 gvw, as such should fit your application, I wouldn't worry to much about the cam. With that said if they are ordering one for your motorhome there should be no reason if it is ordered baised on your vin # then it should be the correct motor.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #14

I believe that the brake recall was re-recalled, and that the first replacement calipars were not the fix, so a second recall was ordered.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote