Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2006, 08:35 AM   #1

My 03 W-22 35' Dolphin is now in the shop with a blown ABS sensor and everything else that seems to go along with Bosch brakes. My question to this group is this. Has anyone come up with a cure for this problem. I have read of some people needing multiple rebuilds. Is there some sort of preventive maintenance that can be done? WH has agreed to pay this time as a goodwill repair, but they also mentioned corrosion and dust as a possible factor. I thought the recall was supposed to take care of that issue with new boots and lubrication of the pins. I have been looking at this board for a couple of days now and haven't really seen what I'm looking for.
THanks for any help or advice you might have

W-22,
tnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2006, 08:35 AM   #2

My 03 W-22 35' Dolphin is now in the shop with a blown ABS sensor and everything else that seems to go along with Bosch brakes. My question to this group is this. Has anyone come up with a cure for this problem. I have read of some people needing multiple rebuilds. Is there some sort of preventive maintenance that can be done? WH has agreed to pay this time as a goodwill repair, but they also mentioned corrosion and dust as a possible factor. I thought the recall was supposed to take care of that issue with new boots and lubrication of the pins. I have been looking at this board for a couple of days now and haven't really seen what I'm looking for.
THanks for any help or advice you might have

W-22,
Old 07-05-2006, 10:54 AM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
If you have an 03 National Dolphin there's a good chance that the 10th digit in your VIN# is a "2". If it is you would most likely have ZOPS Bosch calipers and those are subject to the recall. In late or later 03, Bosch introduced ZOHT calipers and these are not subject to the recall nor do they present any short of long term difficulties. Current build W20 & W22s feature ZOHT Bosch calipers and they don't present any types of problems nor do they require an excessive amount of maintenance or out of the way inspections. I am approaching 45000 miles and there has been no trouble with the brake system. I have had to top off the front reservoir on the master cylinder but that was it.

Regarding ZOPS brakes it is recommended that on a yearly schedule that the slide pins be removed, cleaned, lubricated and restored.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:19 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. I believe WH will be rplacing the front rotors and calipers along with the rest of the repair. Do you know if the new calipers will be upgraded or will they be the older style. seems a waste to put the older ones back on, unless they won't fit.
Tom

W-22,
Old 07-05-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
In the spring I got new front rotors -I had to pay for the pads and labor at Apachie Junction service center in Mesa. They replaced the rear ABS sensors (were melted) but never checked the rear rotors.

Last week I had the rear rotors (cracked) and pads replaced by Westgate RV in Kellowna B.C.(w with no charge - was approved by another Workhorse rep (had some heart and knowledge of the units). BUT neither center replaced the calipers. They did lubricate them and check for rust and piston leaks.

Also the Workhorse rep recomended a Zirk fitting in the vertical tube between the brake pedal and the master cylinder. Apparently some have rusted.
I drilled the hole, picked out the metal chips and installed the Zirk fitting myself. Now grease flows out both at the top and bottom.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:21 PM   #6

Maybe I misunderstood the service writer about replacing the calipers. But you do bring up a good point. I was an auto mechanic for 16 years and I have seen a number of times where a mis-adjusted or corroded brake pedal, brake light switch, master cyl. pushrod, or booster has caused a very similar problem. When I get my MH back I will look for the rod you are talking about and install the zerk.

I have never before heard of a vehicle that needs annual lubrication of the brake pins. But I guess that is Bosch for you. They make poor quality spark plugs too...
Thanks

W-22,
Old 07-05-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tnoel:
I have never before heard of a vehicle that needs annual lubrication of the brake pins. But I guess that is Bosch for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The Z-Bar or bell crank is not a Bosch design but is simply a pivot arm that transfers downward brake pedal travel to horizontal force applied to the Bosch Hydro-Max Brake Booster. The booster is the best piece of equipment that is suited for our purposes and it has nothing to do with their spark plug division.

A zirk installed on the vertical pivot arm assures a quantity of lubrication in a movable joint which is consistent with good design principals. You can test to see if you have a problem with your Z-Bar by manually rotating the bar with your hand until the emergency motor (pump) kicks in. Let go of the bar and the motor should stop. There should be a bit of vertical freeplay and there should not be any binding in the shaft what so ever with or without grease.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:00 PM   #8

Sorry for the spark plug comment, I didn't mean to offend anyone, I just don't like Bosch spark plugs, and I'm sure they are not the same division. I will try your suggestion with the bell crank.
Again I'm sorry if I sounded cynical it's just that my vacation has been cut short and our lives endangered by a faulty brake system, and I'm trying to get some information on my next move(s) I had hoped this MH would be with us for the next 10 years, Now I'm not sure.

W-22,
Old 07-05-2006, 06:39 PM   #9

WH paid for and replaced all of my rotors and calipers last month on my 2001. They also installed the grease zerk as they suspect the brakes were dragging causing them to heat up and crack.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:31 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
tnoel,
I also have had premature brake system failure New pads and new rotors were installed at Apache Sands in Mesa this past December. Calipers were not replaced. Apparently WH didn't consider my VIN # within the recall but made a good will replacement of above mentioned parts at all 4 wheels. Had ABS issues too. WH covered new sensor and replaced the ABS ECU. Non of this has corrected the ABS issues tho.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:22 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Regarding ZOPS brakes it is recommended that on a yearly schedule that the slide pins be removed, cleaned, lubricated and restored.

What type of lubricant should be used on the slide pins?
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:01 AM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wa0mqe:
What type of lubricant should be used on the slide pins? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Although a good lithium based grease with an EP rating can be used, it is recommended that slide grease be used on the brake caliper pins. The slide grease is better suited for long term use in damp locations. You can find especially formulated grease at an automotive jobber, just ask for it.

The enemy of good and effective brake service is allowing your motorhome to sit for extended periods of time. In other words, use it or loose it. There is no such thing as a "seasonal" motorhome. Run it like you stole it.

I would also like to revise my comments about ZOHT brake caliper slide pins, they also need to be routinely serviced possibly as much as once a year as well.

That said if you keep your vehicle on the road and run it a lot you should have little if any brake problems.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:58 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M&EM:
Had ABS issues too. WH covered new sensor and replaced the ABS ECU. Non of this has corrected the ABS issues tho. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is the ABS issue? I have noticed on a few occations that when I used the brakes it feels like you are driving on a gravel road. Then when I let off it is smooth again. The gravel road feeling was constant just before we noticed the smell of burning brakes. In addition, I don't remember the ABS light coming on, even though the Sensor was blown out.

W-22,
Old 07-06-2006, 06:27 AM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tnoel: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We could help you a lot better if we knew your year, make and model.