Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2015, 08:48 PM   #1

Brake Caliper Recall

A few months back I bought a 2009 Monaco with 6k miles. I found it was involved in the brake caliper recall. I finally was able to get it approved and dealer got calipers in stock and now dealer is saying I need to replace the rotors at my cost of $2600 due to it sitting for a long time. They e mailed me pics of rust on the rotors and wear. The coach currently has about 8800 miles almost all interstate.

When I pulled into the servicing dealer this week you could smell the rear brakes were burning and in addition the ABS light intermittently came on and off. In reading up on the recall, the calipers stick after sitting, causing damage to the entire brake system. What has been the experience of others who have been effected by this recall? Did you have to pay out of pocket for rotors or anything?

Thanks...
Sky Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2015, 09:22 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
A few months back I bought a 2009 Monaco with 6k miles. I found it was involved in the brake caliper recall. I finally was able to get it approved and dealer got calipers in stock and now dealer is saying I need to replace the rotors at my cost of $2600 due to it sitting for a long time. They e mailed me pics of rust on the rotors and wear. The coach currently has about 8800 miles almost all interstate.

When I pulled into the servicing dealer this week you could smell the rear brakes were burning and in addition the ABS light intermittently came on and off. In reading up on the recall, the calipers stick after sitting, causing damage to the entire brake system. What has been the experience of others who have been effected by this recall? Did you have to pay out of pocket for rotors or anything?

Thanks...
The recall is calipers only and a quart of brake fluid IIRC. [moderator edit] Rotors can be had for $75 a piece. One part # fits all 4 corners. Brake pads will run about $60 a set. ABS sensors are $65 a piece.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:01 PM   #3

Quote:

Thanks...

IMO the dealer is trying to rip you off. There's no way you can need new rotors unless they were collaterally damaged by the faulty calipers and IF that is true then Navistar is obligated to replace them as collateral damaged parts. Even if they refuse to replace the rotors you should not pay anywhere near $2,600.00 for them.
If they dealer won't give you a detailed break down showing how they can justify that price I would take the coach elsewhere.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:55 AM   #4

Thanks for the input. The calipers were sticking engaged. The service Mgr smelled the brake pads burning when I pulled into the dealership. It was the rear calipers and the service Mgr pointed out the heat on the wheel and tire. I thought I might have left the emergency brake on but no. It was the calibers sticking which is going to cause the same wear as if I had left the emergency brake engaged. I have not pulled a toad. I agree the price seems excessive but with only 8800 miles the brake rotors and pads nor rotors should not be wearing out. Also the Allison Tranny has a very effective grade brake and there is little need to ride the brakes downhill. I have owned 8 or 9 RV's and never had any brakes issues and this coach only has 8800 miles?

Here is a bulletin from Workhorse that I found and they mention replacing By the Workhorse Technical Team

In May 2009 Workhorse mailed an “interim notice” to alert affected Workhorse owners of a defect in certain Bosch brake caliper assemblies used on Workhorse W20, W21 and W22 motorhome chassis models. Pending an approved recall remedy for the problem, the interim notice described the authorized interim repair procedure, at no cost to the customer, for those brake problems related to the defect.

However, brake repairs related to typical wear and tear or other issues are rotors if damage was caused by the sticking calibers:

still the financial responsibility of the customer. As with any recall, misunderstandings about the defect and about who is responsible for what often arise. This article will briefly explain the nature of the problem and how owners and technicians can determine whether a brake problem is related to the defect or not.

Warning signs

The problem is usually noticed as a sudden seizing or locking up of the brakes. It also typically appears in motor homes five years old and older that have not been driven for extended periods of time. Signs of the problem may include: All the things listed below have happened in the few months I have owned the coach
•A distinct brake burning smell.
•Having to apply more engine power to overcome an unaccounted for slowing of the vehicle commonly associated with brake drag.
•An ABS light that is continually on.
•Smoke coming from the wheel end.
•A soft or spongy feel when applying the brakes

Owners of the affected chassis models who experience any of the signs indicated above should have their brakes inspected at an authorized Workhorse service center. The inspection is at their expense; however, if the problem is related to the Bosch defect, Workhorse will provide an interim repair at no cost to the chassis owner.

Caliper assembly at fault

The defect is related to the Bosch 2 X 66 mm brake caliper assembly. Each caliper contains two pistons that are made of a phenolic material that technicians will recognize as similar to Bakelite. If the motor home is not driven for extended periods of time (typically six months or longer), the phenolic material may absorb and retain moisture from the atmosphere, which may result in an increase in the piston diameter. Motor homes operated more frequently are not likely to experience any problem because the heat generated during braking under normal conditions inhibits the absorption and retention of moisture in the phenolic material.

The piston clearances in the caliper are fairly small — the specified clearance of a new phenolic piston is .004 to .008 of an inch. Measurements of certain phenolic pistons taken from motor homes that have been in service for several years have shown an increase in diameter of up to .0035 inches.

The caliper piston is designed for some expansion due to normal heat absorption during braking. During normal operation, the internal piston caliper seal pulls the piston back into the caliper bore when the brakes are released. However, if the phenolic piston expands due to moisture absorption and heat, the seal may not be able to pull the piston back (called “binding”), which may result in the brake pad dragging on the rotor.

This can be hard for a technician to diagnose because if the brake pad drags as above and then the motorhome is parked for a period of time (as short as 20 minutes), the piston may cool and decrease in diameter, releasing the piston from its binding condition.

Diagnostic signs of the defect include:
•Piston dust seals/boots that are cracked or appear discolored (white powder markings).
•Front wheel seals that show signs of damage.
•Front spindle caps that show signs of heat damage or leaking.
•Heat damaged ABS sensors and wheel speed sensors; ABS sensors that have stopped functioning at various speeds and may have intermittent loss of function and associated fault codes.

Rotors with radial cracks are not considered recall related damage unless there is other evidence of damage. Such cracks are typical of “riding” the brakes downhill, absence of a tow car brake system and continued hard braking. If the cracks are severe enough to merit replacement, that would be at the owner’s expense.

Rotor colors also vary from vehicle to vehicle, and some discoloration and transfer of brake pad material along with brake pad wear is normal. However, if the rotor exhibits significant transfer of brake pad material, that may be related to the Bosch defect. Similarly, if the brake pads show a rough and damaged surface associated with significant material transfer, that would be considered defect related damage. Replacement of both rotors and pads in this case would be covered by the interim repair procedure.

Affected owners will be contacted

Again, Workhorse will notify all affected owners with instructions when the recall remedy is available. In the meantime, affected owners of W20, W21 and W22 Workhorse chassis should simply be aware of the warning signs noted above and have their brakes inspected just as they normally would should any question arise about their functioning.

This is the second in a series of Workhorse Technical Reports with information that Workhorse considers most important in helping motorhome owners avoid potential problems and maximize the economy, safety and enjoyment of their driving experience. This particular report addresses a number of RVer questions surrounding a recent Workhorse recall concerning a Bosch brake defect.
Sky Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Thanks for the input. The calipers were sticking engaged. The service Mgr smelled the brake pads burning when I pulled into the dealership. It was the rear calipers and the service Mgr pointed out the heat on the wheel and tire. I thought I might have left the emergency brake on but no. It was the calibers sticking which is going to cause the same wear as if I had left the emergency brake engaged. I have not pulled a toad. I agree the price seems excessive but with only 8800 miles the brake rotors and pads nor rotors should not be wearing out. Also the Allison Tranny has a very effective grade brake and there is little need to ride the brakes downhill. I have owned 8 or 9 RV's and never had any brakes issues and this coach only has 8800 miles?

Here is a bulletin from Workhorse that I found and they mention replacing By the Workhorse Technical Team
Rotors with radial cracks are not considered recall related damage unless there is other evidence of damage. Such cracks are typical of “riding” the brakes downhill, absence of a tow car brake system and continued hard braking. If the cracks are severe enough to merit replacement, that would be at the owner’s expense.

Rotor colors also vary from vehicle to vehicle, and some discoloration and transfer of brake pad material along with brake pad wear is normal. However, if the rotor exhibits significant transfer of brake pad material, that may be related to the Bosch defect. Similarly, if the brake pads show a rough and damaged surface associated with significant material transfer, that would be considered defect related damage. Replacement of both rotors and pads in this case would be covered by the interim repair procedure.

Affected owners will be contacted

Again, Workhorse will notify all affected owners with instructions when the recall remedy is available. In the meantime, affected owners of W20, W21 and W22 Workhorse chassis should simply be aware of the warning signs noted above and have their brakes inspected just as they normally would should any question arise about their functioning.

This is the second in a series of Workhorse Technical Reports with information that Workhorse considers most important in helping motorhome owners avoid potential problems and maximize the economy, safety and enjoyment of their driving experience. This particular report addresses a number of RVer questions surrounding a recent Workhorse recall concerning a Bosch brake defect.
I edited this to save duplicate reading.

There is no way the dealer or anyone else could convince me the rotors were ruined by anything else than the sticking calipers holding pressure on the pads and constantly contacting the brake rotor. This would be exactly the same effect as "riding the brake". Strange you didn't have a rotor problem until the calipers started sticking. These calipers have a manufacturing defect. You should NOT have to buy additional parts because of their neglect in building the components right in the first place.
I'd be rolling around on the floor with anyone who told me otherwise!
Lynn
Old 11-06-2015, 10:13 AM   #6

Brakes $$$$$

Your quote of 2600 $ was what I had to pay at RR RV Center in washinfton State. Yes it was a shock, but when I seen the rotors all cracked (ALL) What doesn,t make sense is if a caliper is the reason for the recall why isn,t the damage it did not covered. They tried to blame me for riding the brakes. Hells fire my system was working fine when I took it to them for the recall. Now I have intermittent ABS light. So I guess i will really check things out better before I go back for a Recall or any maintance that I can,t do. I will shut up now Thanks Jim Athol Idaho
fayjim2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, recall