Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #1

Brake failure

In early December, we drove our 2005 Fleetwood Bounder from NH to Ft Myers Florida. During the last leg of the trip - from Rainbow Springs State Park in Dunnellon, Florida - I got a brake warning. Stopped and found that the brake reservoir was low. Filled the reservoir and continued to Ft Myers with no problems. The Bounder has been parked for about a month, and I decided to run the motor for a bit. Started it up and got all sorts of warnings that the ABS system and the brake system had failed. Checked the reservoir and it was empty. A bit of investigation revealed that there was a fitting on a power brake hose that was rubbing one of the steel lines from the master cylinder and had rubbed a hole through the line. This is something that came that way from the factory. If you have a W20 or W22 chassis form around 2005, take a look and see if there is a problem. The hose and line are located inside the frame on the driver's side near the front. Note the brown spot on the brake line. There is a hole at that point. The brake line was the rearmost line at the MC. This could have been a huge problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake line 002.JPG
Views:	1411
Size:	425.3 KB
ID:	54285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake line 003.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	54286  

BluBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check mine today.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe I'll check mine also!

Mike
Old 01-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK, I have 3/4" clearance at that spot.

Mike
Old 01-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #5

Brake lines

Many Thanks for the info I'll check mine.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBounder View Post
If you have a W20 or W22 chassis form around 2005, take a look and see if there is a problem. The hose and line are located inside the frame on the driver's side near the front. Note the brown spot on the brake line. There is a hole at that point. The brake line was the rearmost line at the MC. This could have been a huge problem.
BluBouder, could you help me out? I guess I'm just not clear where I should be looking for the lines to be rubbing.

Thank you. - RT
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20140124_133329_473.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	54607   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140124_133339_955.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	252.7 KB
ID:	54608  

Name:	IMG_20140124_133430_553.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	54609  
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:13 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you look at the picture you can see a hose fitting possibly the AC feeder line fitting rubbing against the brake line. The brake line has a brown spot check your brake lines around this area up front your brake lines maybe all clear from objects that might rub against them.
The chassis nut could possibly cause a problem also.
Your brake lines look pretty clear with the line separators installed.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
If you look at the picture you can see a hose fitting possibly the AC feeder line fitting rubbing against the brake line. The brake line has a brown spot check your brake lines around this area up front your brake lines maybe all clear from objects that might rub against them.
The chassis nut could possibly cause a problem also.
Your brake lines look pretty clear with the line separators installed.

Based on your observation, do I need to be inspecting down towards the bottom of the engine compartment (My picture #3), and would you say that with the line separators, my chassis was a later year model run compared to BluBounder, so maybe the potential problem was already resolved?

Thank you. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #9

Some what of topic. I need help with a 1994 Pace Arrow/454.
Where in the hell do i service the power steering. My brakes are making alot of noise when applied, power steering is OK.

I have had no luck talking to dealers in this area, I can see the pump below the a/c compressor but no fill port.

Please help, I do not want to ruin a P/S pump.

This is a Hydro Boost System

Thanks in advance

Stan
Pace arrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:49 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had an 85 I think, and the reservoir I believe was at driver side of radiator. only maybe 8oz can or so. I'd give a good sum for a memory, If I could find the sum.

Mike
Old 02-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
My '87 Pace w/454 has the power steering fill under the hood on the drivers side. Brake master cylinder in behind front wheel on drivers side. You need a mirror and long arms to reach it to check the fluid level. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #12

A follow-up to our brake failure problem. I went to the local Camping World to request service and I was pretty unimpressed since the service writer didn't seem to know anything about mechanical stuff. In spite of my suggestion that they pick up a piece of brake line at the local parts store and splice it in, he insisted that they would have to order the part from Workhorse. After 2 weeks they had the parts which had nothing at all to do with my particular problem. A second service writer admitted that they were ill equipped to fix this issue and suggested that I take it to Wallace International which is, as it turned out, the local Workhorse service dealer in Ft Myers, Fl. I paid a visit and made an appointment. They also said they would order parts from Workhorse. Later the same day they called and confirmed the parts were on order. So then the issue became how to get the coach to the repair site. I didn't like the idea of having it towed although I have towing insurance. So, I picked up a piece of 1/4" fuel line and installed a patch with 2 clamps over the hole. Filled it up with brake fluid ( loosened the clamps to let the fluid push out any air in the line) and we seemed to have a decent pedal. The day came and no fluid had been lost so I very tentatively started out - trying the brakes at very slow speeds. Worked just fine and I was able to drive the 10 miles to the shop without any problems. Wallace found that the parts that Workhorse sent were unrelated to the repair and spliced in a piece of ordinary brake line. Excellent workmanship. They tied up all of the power steering hoses that caused the problem and routed the brake lines inside the frame where they belonged ( I had bent the faulty line out in order to install the "Patch"). If you need Workhorse service in Ft Myers I can heartily recommend Wallace International on Edison Ave. Ask for Bubba (really). 239-826-3711
Old 03-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #13

BluBounder: Excellent follow-up report- glad you got it fixed. If possible, please post a picture of the Wallace-spliced repair. I'm glad to learn that can be done, and want to see it. THANKS.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #14

As requested, here is a photo of the finished repair. First photo is "before" and the second photo is "after". There is actually a fair amount of clearance between the repaired brake line and the PS hose. There is also good clearance between the other brake line and the chassis bolt/nut. Nothing moves now. The problem was that the fitting on the PS hose was actually in contact with the brake line so that, even though there was very little if any movement, there was enough from vibration to rub a hole.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Brake line 003.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	57498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake line 002.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	428.3 KB
ID:	57499  

Tags