Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2011, 04:38 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Timers View Post
. All the responses except one said theirs had no slit. I would be interested to see if any other Workhorse owners have this slit. Maybe yours is broked. Maybe Jon from Redlands can chime in. I am sure he has seen many of them.
FT,

per Bosch ...
The diagnostic if the brakes self apply is to clean the vent passages in the reservoir cap. This would be due to: Constricted master cylinder reservoir vent.

Bosch Hydro-Max Manual

Look it up in the diagnostics.

I would not blame you for not wanting to open your master cylinder for the heck of it however that said, curiousity having peaked your interest, I would find a parts store that had the master cylinder cap and rule out if there is or not a vent. Oemy said that the cap is an available part OTC.

That would be Mike at Redlands or Jon at Brazels.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #44

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would be interested in hearing an explanation of how the brake master cylinder would function, in its present design, without being vented. Anyone? Also, on the same subject, not removing the cap of the master cylinder for fear of somehow contaminating the fluid with moisture from the atmosphere is pure nonsense. How else are you to add fluid? Caution should be used however, not to allow solid contaminents (dirt,grime, etc) to enter the reservoir. For this reason cleaning area around the cap, and the cap itself should be done before opening.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:32 AM   #45

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
The one I am looking at was bought at Autozone.... I use to work at Autozone and most of the folks working there don't know a thing about how things work... They just pinch in the info and sell you the part.

I will check my MC... tomorrow and report back.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:38 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
I would be interested in hearing an explanation of how the brake master cylinder would function, in its present design, without being vented. Anyone?

Dieselclacker
Especially with the big old ABS Controller being part of the mix.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Timers View Post
Sorry guys but I am still not seeing it......... My engineering background says this is wrong. You really got me curious but I an not going to open my system to check it out.
FT: I really admire your spunk

In spite of seemingly overwhelming evidence from at least three other members who each have some degree of expertise in the matter, you stick to your guns.!!! As the kids would say......"You ROCK" !

Seems to me this whole thing revolves around the difference in the definition of closed VS. sealed,........... Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok took my caps off this am. The slit is normally closed until the bellows can no longer extend, then open to balance pressure above and below bellows. I would call it a closed system. But does open when necessary.

Mike
Old 07-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #49

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
Ok took my caps off this am. The slit is normally closed until the bellows can no longer extend, then open to balance pressure above and below bellows. I would call it a closed system. But does open when necessary.

Mike

I believe the vent works both ways, allowing atmospheric pressure in, and any pressure generated from within the system to vent out.

Dieselclacker
Old 07-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
I believe the vent works both ways, allowing atmospheric pressure in, and any pressure generated from within the system to vent out.
dieselclacker, This is also the theorem supporting the flux capacitor where molecules are observed transitioning freely and bi-directionally through time and space.

Just in case it came up!
Old 07-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #51

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
dieselclacker, This is also the theorem supporting the flux capacitor where molecules are observed transitioning freely and bi-directionally through time and space.

Just in case it came up!

Agreed, sounds perfectly logical to me,

Dieselclacker
Old 07-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #52

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Well I thoroughly enjoyed this thread. I admire everyone who participated in the fact that you were all respectful of others opinions. That is one reason why I am proud to be a member of the Workhorse Custom Chassis Motorhome Forum.

I must admit that I read a while back that moisture will in fact penetrate the rubber hoses and seals and contaminate the brake fluid. It only takes 3% moisture to lower the boiling point of brake fluid to a dangerous level. So moisture will infiltrate the brake system even though it is never opened. I did more research on the slit in the cap seal and found more info including a paten on the slit. This is to allow air to pass through and not brake fluid. Without going into detail the air passage is needed more in ABS systems because of the vacuum created during ABS operation. I also found that virtually all vehicle manufactures recommend flushing your brake system with new fluid every 2 to 3 years EXCEPT GM. GM doesn’t even mention it. I think we all got a good education out of this and I have always said, “A day is lost unless you learned something”.

In closing I would like to apologize to DriVer for hijacking his original post;

Quote:
Now that most of us have new calipers and brake components and the Brake Recall is fading into history like the space shuttle, lets not repeat the omissions of the past and not consider the fact that our brake fluid requires periodic flushing.

So git-er-done.

No worries; I'll be back next year with the same reminder.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:

Just in case it came up!
Well now, I'm going to go "Back To The Future" and check out the flux capacitor and see if I can get the Doc to explain this theorem of molecules transitioning through time and space.

Just in case it comes up!

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieSCPO View Post
Just in case it comes up!
Bob, Humor is a good thing.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #55

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought a set of speedbleeders from Oemy before the recall. I had the recall work done in early July and will be on vacation next week so I am thinking it might be a good time to install the bleeders. Just wondering about it now- will my bleeders that were made for the original calipers still fit the new calipers?
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
I bought a set of speedbleeders from Oemy before the recall. I had the recall work done in early July and will be on vacation next week so I am thinking it might be a good time to install the bleeders. Just wondering about it now- will my bleeders that were made for the original calipers still fit the new calipers?
Yes sir.....

Tags
brake, fluid