Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2009, 10:58 AM   #15

Bill- One thing about motorhomes- practically every motorhome will go thru years of setting for 90 days or more. Very very few are out regularly over the entire course of their lives.

Its the lifestyle. As a second home, their use is subject to the exigencies of the first home (near kids, medical services or whatever keeps us tied to a locale for a long period each year). Even for those who live in them full time, eventually rigs get parked some place for long periods each year. We own a space in a nice Havasu area park where folks show up from Oct thru Dec, and leave from March thru May to head back north or northeast. Rigs sit without brakes exercised for 3-6 months throughout the park, even tho our rigs are in full time use.

And even those rigs that are constantly on the move w/their current owner will be eventually sold to a subsequent owner who will have the more usual activity/non-activity use pattern. So by the time a rig is 15-20 years old, that 90+ day recurring sedentary pattern is virtually guaranteed for many ownership years on practically every rig.

I'm just guessing as we all are at this point- the new caliper materials & design will incorporate this expectation of motorhome use, to be more resistant to the actual conditions of use instead of fleet van usage (and its concomitant continuous fleet maintenance). It should be a huge benefit in the long run, even tho an egregious pain in the tookus in the next 6 months.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #16

Appalachian Campers
Thanks, Mike. your perspective is appreciated.

Bill
WCVonderburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
It should be a huge benefit in the long run, even tho an egregious pain in the tookus in the next 6 months.
Mike, I believe that you've hit the nail on the head!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:52 PM   #18

Usually I hit the head right on the nail.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Usually I hit the head right on the nail.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:35 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Frustrated with you

When my right rear locked up I waited overnight as Workhorse Roadside recommended and I drove 22 miles the next morning to where they made an appointment for me---I had to pay for the inspection of all my wheels except for the bad one which they replaced the caliper and brakes on. When I left --- about 30 mins down the road my right front started locking up pulling my steering wheel. I call the WH dealer and they told me to continue driving to see if it would unlock now that I was out of town. in about three minutes after turning my wheel left and right it unlocked. I then went to the NATSA website there is a NATSA Campaign ID # 09V110000 and an ACTION# EA07016---I filled out a safety form hopefully helping in letting the NATSA know that there are still problems out here and they need to get this recall started before someone gets killed.

Woody
W22 chasis 2004 Allegro Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCVonderburg View Post
Sorry to sound touchy, George.

We're just very frustrated. However, good news. My one local dealer said he has new Bosch parts and is certain he can get us back on the road safely. He said from his experience, the affected coaches are more than five years old, have very low mileage and often go 90 days between trips. This describes our use perfectly. I retire next year, so we can start using the coach like it's supposed to be.

Cheers!
woodyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This inconsistency in repairs baffles me! A "one wheel" brake repair is against all my automotive training. If Workhorse authorized this repair they should be slapped. And once it was confirmed that you had a brake failure the brake inspection should have been picked up by Workhorse. Not my .02 cents___ Fact..

Mike Fire
mfire1339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyk View Post
When my right rear locked up I waited overnight as Workhorse Roadside recommended and I drove 22 miles the next morning to where they made an appointment for me---I had to pay for the inspection of all my wheels except for the bad one which they replaced the caliper and brakes on. When I left --- about 30 mins down the road my right front started locking up pulling my steering wheel. I call the WH dealer and they told me to continue driving to see if it would unlock now that I was out of town. in about three minutes after turning my wheel left and right it unlocked. I then went to the NATSA website there is a NATSA Campaign ID # 09V110000 and an ACTION# EA07016---I filled out a safety form hopefully helping in letting the NATSA know that there are still problems out here and they need to get this recall started before someone gets killed.

Woody
W22 chasis 2004 Allegro Bay
This totally unacceptable..... It's about time for Workhorse to MANUP and fix the current problems at their expense.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
This inconsistency in repairs baffles me! A "one wheel" brake repair is against all my automotive training.
Mike, This type of repair practice is not inconsistent with after market insurance plans. They will only fix what's broke. The aftermarket insurance company in this case would have only fixed or authorize the repair of one caliper and whatever else that is affected by that caliper, pads, rotor, sensor and hose.

If you review the Interim Notice it clearly states that Workhorse will fix what's broke at their expense. Now if they fail to do what they stated in writting then we all have something to gripe about otherwise I believe that we've been notified in writing what they will fix and that's what they authorized.

If the owner turned around and made it back to the dealer or moved on to another dealer they would fix the other caliper if it is seized. Those are the terms of the Interim Notice and I don't expect that to change.

In but a few more months the campaign will launch and everyone will be made whole all 47,000 of us.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyk View Post
I then went to the NHTSA website there is a NHTSA Campaign ID # 09V110000 and an ACTION# EA07016---I filled out a safety form hopefully helping in letting the NHTSA know that there are still problems out here and they need to get this recall started before someone gets killed.
Woody, The campaign that has been fielded by Workhorse is 90501-C and it is expected to launch within the next few of months. At that time all of us will be getting new calipers on 4 positions PLUS anything else that is apparently broke by the defective calipers. The problem at the moment is that there aren't any (or enough) "NEW" or redesigned parts at the moment to launch the campaign.

NHTSA is totally aware of the campaign that they instituted and they are aware of what the problem is. You can call NHTSA directly at 888-327-4236 if you need to talk to them immediately. Workhorse has provided us with an Interim Notice as to how to proceed between now and when the campaign launches. We have that information here in case you haven't seen it. Please look in the stickies at the top of the page for that information.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:12 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Mike, This type of repair practice is not inconsistent with after market insurance plans. They will only fix what's broke. The aftermarket insurance company in this case would have only fixed or authorize the repair of one caliper and whatever else that is affected by that caliper, pads, rotor, sensor and hose.
Workhorse is not an "after market insurance company". They should at least pickup the inspection, a complete flush/bleed of the brake system and tow to the nearest Workhorse Service Center if the customer does not feel safe to drive it there.

Quote:
If you review the Interim Notice it clearly states that Workhorse will fix what's broke at their expense. Now if they fail to do what they stated in writting then we all have something to gripe about otherwise I believe that we've been notified in writing what they will fix and that's what they authorized.
But, saving $15 worth of brake fluid and $80 in labor is ok.

Quote:
If the owner turned around and made it back to the dealer or moved on to another dealer they would fix the other caliper if it is seized. Those are the terms of the Interim Notice and I don't expect that to change.
Yep... and another xxx miles he might get to do it again and again. Not a nice way to spend a vacation. Also, it does not do much for Workhorse's customer sat!

Quote:
In but a few more months the campaign will launch and everyone will be made whole all 47,000 of us.
I believe there is a song entitled "Any Day Now".
Old 09-02-2009, 06:45 AM   #26

Appalachian Campers
And then, and then

In but a few more months the campaign will launch and everyone will be made whole all 47,000 of us.[/QUOTE]

And then, all 47,000 of us will race headlong into whatever certified WH repair shop we can find and get in line to wait for repairs.
WCVonderburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:25 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Brake issue

Thanks for all the reply's, I know that eventually it will get repaired, however this has been going on for to long--maybe everyone should put in a safety issue at the NHTSA to get this train moving faster--what puzzle's me is that my brakes were all inspected, caliper slide pins cleaned and lubbed-brake fluid changed and my right front still locked up. I don't ride my brakes--I was in heavy stop and go traffic--allot of red lights etc. And I don't meet the criteria that another blogger stated reference to letting my coach set--I'm constantly going on Mission work all over the southeast--usally stay at one place for no longer than three weeks. Don't get me wrong--yes i'm frustrated but at the same time I'm glad Workhorse stood my their word. ,To also help others I must inform you of what the Prattville RV manager told me. He stated that if you don't have the proper maintenance pulled in reference to the brakes caliper slide pins being lubbed every other year then WH won't pay for your problem. I told them I had it done annually and I had to show my maintenance log. They asked me how I knew about the lubrication of the caliber pins and thank goodness I've been reading this web site and joined for I've downloaded the WH maintenance guide and went by the numbers as you all suggested. That's the only reason that WH picked up the tab for my problems--If you all haven't had the maintenance pulled and changed your brake fluid, due it now. Hope this helps others--
Woody
woodyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCVonderburg View Post
And then, all 47,000 of us will race headlong into whatever certified WH repair shop we can find and get in line to wait for repairs.
WCVonderburg, The process will go like this. You will get an "Official Campaign (recall) Letter" in the mail according to law.

The letter will instruct you to contact your WASC and make an appointment. The ASC will probably get back to you with a date so that there won't be lines 50 deep out in the street. I expect that's how it's going to go but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.