Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2008, 05:57 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Brake Problem Poll Results

The object of the poll was to "gather data about brake problems on the Workhorse Chassis". It was not designed or intended to show the root cause, point fingers, to cover all variations of brake problems or focus on 1 particular chassis model or OEM. Things to consider before you respond to the results.

A) The Poll function provided by this site was not designed to produce a scientific type poll.
1) No If Then Logic
2) No way limit usage
3) Limited to signed in members
4) No way verify chassis # and/or year of chassis manufacture

B) With less that 100 responses we are looking at probably looking at fraction of registered owners of Workhorse chassis from 2000 to 2008.

C) In retrospect we should have split the poll into 2 pieces.
1) Those with problems
2) Those that didn't have problems

Have you had a brake Problem of any kind?

65% did not have any brake problems.

How many Brake Problems?

19% had 1 repair but 53% had no repairs. Multiple repairs, more than 1, was 18%.

Did you report it to NHTSA?

This was a surprised me... 19% did NOT report the problem!

Maintenance

If you look at the maintenance type items like the caliper pin lube, brake Zerk, brake fluid flush/bleed you will see that about 20% of the responses were NO and that less than 20% were YES. To me this means that the maintenance factor is not the issue!

What year is your Workhorse Chassis?

If you look at the "Chassis Years" 2003/2004 you have 68% of the responses. I venture to say the many of the responses did not actually indicate the proper year. Example - I have a 04 model year but an 03 chassis. This does make a difference.

What Chassis?

It is fairly obvious that the W22 is the #1 chassis with 62%.

What is the mileage?

I missed this one... I should added some bigger numbers... to include 30k to 50k.

Repaired Under Warranty?

Only 9%...

Parts Availability/Repair Time/Repair Cost

Of those that had repairs it seems that the parts were generally available and it took less than a week to repair. Now the cost of repair for those that had pay out of pocket varied greatly and only a small number got any financial assistance from Workhorse.

What got repaired

Only 10% got a complete 4 wheel rebuild. Of the partial rebuilds its looks the calipers got the lions share. But, what really surprised me was the wheels that got the rebuild - Both Fronts and the Drivers Side Rear.

Towing

Did towing a car, trailer or something else have a bearing on the problem. I would suspect Yes if you did NOT have Auxiliary braking. But 54% of those that were towing had auxiliary brakes.

ABS Question

I added this question just see how many participants think it may be a solution.

OK folks have at it...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2008, 05:57 AM   #2

Brake Problem Poll Results

The object of the poll was to "gather data about brake problems on the Workhorse Chassis". It was not designed or intended to show the root cause, point fingers, to cover all variations of brake problems or focus on 1 particular chassis model or OEM. Things to consider before you respond to the results.

A) The Poll function provided by this site was not designed to produce a scientific type poll.
1) No If Then Logic
2) No way limit usage
3) Limited to signed in members
4) No way verify chassis # and/or year of chassis manufacture

B) With less that 100 responses we are looking at probably looking at fraction of registered owners of Workhorse chassis from 2000 to 2008.

C) In retrospect we should have split the poll into 2 pieces.
1) Those with problems
2) Those that didn't have problems

Have you had a brake Problem of any kind?

65% did not have any brake problems.

How many Brake Problems?

19% had 1 repair but 53% had no repairs. Multiple repairs, more than 1, was 18%.

Did you report it to NHTSA?

This was a surprised me... 19% did NOT report the problem!

Maintenance

If you look at the maintenance type items like the caliper pin lube, brake Zerk, brake fluid flush/bleed you will see that about 20% of the responses were NO and that less than 20% were YES. To me this means that the maintenance factor is not the issue!

What year is your Workhorse Chassis?

If you look at the "Chassis Years" 2003/2004 you have 68% of the responses. I venture to say the many of the responses did not actually indicate the proper year. Example - I have a 04 model year but an 03 chassis. This does make a difference.

What Chassis?

It is fairly obvious that the W22 is the #1 chassis with 62%.

What is the mileage?

I missed this one... I should added some bigger numbers... to include 30k to 50k.

Repaired Under Warranty?

Only 9%...

Parts Availability/Repair Time/Repair Cost

Of those that had repairs it seems that the parts were generally available and it took less than a week to repair. Now the cost of repair for those that had pay out of pocket varied greatly and only a small number got any financial assistance from Workhorse.

What got repaired

Only 10% got a complete 4 wheel rebuild. Of the partial rebuilds its looks the calipers got the lions share. But, what really surprised me was the wheels that got the rebuild - Both Fronts and the Drivers Side Rear.

Towing

Did towing a car, trailer or something else have a bearing on the problem. I would suspect Yes if you did NOT have Auxiliary braking. But 54% of those that were towing had auxiliary brakes.

ABS Question

I added this question just see how many participants think it may be a solution.

OK folks have at it...

Old 09-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dale,

Great job. Interesting and eye opening info.

Thanks,

Bill

Workhorse W22
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
He ain't the OEMY for nothing

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:58 AM   #5

"With less that 100 responses we are looking at probably looking at fraction of registered owners of Workhorse chassis from 2000 to 2008."

I'd say it relects an equal percentage of all owners.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good job. Interesting results, Thank you.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #7

abarkl,

Let's agree to disagree..

Without production numbers from Workhorse neither of can make any valid statements about percentages... god or bad. Let's leave it at that.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #8

Thanks,
When asked you were the one to step up and do it.
Good job
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great job Dale, AGAIN! I think I did pick 02 for the yr.of my
WH chassis, and my born on date is 9/11/01,a collector item.

I was just thinking that we have 3 WH in our group of 6 campers
Two of us, Phil and I have had brake problems. Phil told me
just yesterday that the cost of both front rotors and pads
with associated seals and not sure about bearing.
He said his cost was just shy of $400. and that was wholesale
price as his nephew works at a large truck shop. Said that
the rotors were like $110. each. I will talk to nephew soon.

Phil (not the observant one) had blown seal on the front(wet)
bearing and only notice it when applying brakes and the smoke
just bellowed.That was two yrs. ago. in NY.I am thinking that
the brake was draging at that time, and reptured the seal??

Now the other WH, Gary is sort of full time, summers in (hometown)
Watertown, NY, winter in FL. And has had NO brake problem in his
03 Demon. .....Tenn
Old 09-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tenn.Vol, You have a P-32 and have had brake problems? Same as the W-22? Sticking pads/ calipers?
I did'nt think the P-32 had this problem.
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i was ready to replace the brake fluid in my moho. i found a layer of a heavy viscosity waxy like substance floating on top of the brake fluid and clinging to the cap.
not wanting to flush that crap through the system, i put the job on hold until i figure out a way to suck out this substance.
i wonder if this substance has a bearing on the workhorse brake problems? maybe a possible cause?
i have never seen anything like this in a brake or clutch reservoir before.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:24 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DAN L:
i was ready to replace the brake fluid in my moho. i found a layer of a heavy viscosity waxy like substance floating on top of the brake fluid and clinging to the cap.
not wanting to flush that crap through the system, i put the job on hold until i figure out a way to suck out this substance.
i wonder if this substance has a bearing on the workhorse brake problems? maybe a possible cause?
i have never seen anything like this in a brake or clutch reservoir before. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The goop you refer to is normal assembly lube applied by Bosch. According to WH no harm no foul.

Dieselclacker