RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2010, 08:39 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Brake issues//temps at the rotors/calipers

I recently purchased a 94 Winnebago Suncruiser 34RA with a chevy P30 frame. Just to be on the safe side for my family and others on the road----I would like to confirm a couple of things. The brakes are working fine at present. It does not pull to one side or the other when the brakes are applied. I am new at this RV experience. I am just respecting this machine and others on the road. I recently took a 2-3 hr road trip. The outside temp was 98 degrees. I thought I heard a possible brake dragging sound a couple of times. I took a temp gun along and checked the temp at each wheel (rotors/calipers) and I got as high as 250 degrees f to as low as 140 degrees f at diff intervals. Does anyone know what is a satisfactory temp for this procedure? With outside temp near 100, the temp on the asphault has got to be much higher. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
James

94bago is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #2

I wouldn`t think those temps were too high but there are much more knowledgable people here who could say for sure.

Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spoonman,
I am in agreement with you on the temps. But I am respecting this machine and want to stay ahead of any possible brake issues. There seem to be some very experienced people within the forum that I would hope could latch on to these temp questions.
Thanks,
James
Old 09-02-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94bago View Post
Spoonman,
I am in agreement with you on the temps. But I am respecting this machine and want to stay ahead of any possible brake issues. There seem to be some very experienced people within the forum that I would hope could latch on to these temp questions.
james, We have archives here about thermocouples and calipers temperature sensors that have been developed by some of the owners. You may want to use our "Search" feature to find those posts. Some folks here have TST TPMS that indicate the temperatures at the valve stem.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Driver,
Thanks for the reply. "valve stem" Are you referring to the valve stem on the tire? Dang, it hurts to be inexperienced! I am not familiar with the "search" feature or a TST TPMS. I would sure like to find the info on the thermocouples/caliper temp info that you described.
Thanks again for your info,
James
Old 09-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94bago View Post
I am not familiar with the "search" feature or a TST TPMS. I would sure like to find the info on the thermocouples/caliper temp info that you described. Thanks again for your info
James, Please see the attached photo it'll show you where the link is located for the search. Just enter search terms in the boxes called "keywords" and it will go out and find these things for you ...

The "Search" is on the top of the page.
Attached Images

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:49 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Driver,
Thanks much. I will do some digging and learning.
Hope the wind is at your back,
James