Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Brake Manufacture

If our 04 W-22 Bounder does not have Bosch brakes, Then what does it have? If it is Bosch, then why do some have trouble and others do not?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2009, 06:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It has Bosch brakes, as to why you are not having trouble that is a very good question. How long does the rig sit between trips? What are your driving habits like? Do you downshift and use the engine to help brake or do you just brake? What type of maintainece do you do on your brakes if any? Do you use a supplemental braking system in your tow car? Do you wash your rig wheels which helps to clean the ABS sensors? There are so many factors that could cause a problem or help not to cause one. If anyone knows for sure, they ain't saying yet.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gramps-Drive about 60 mph, down shift, plenty of room between vehicles, try to remember that we're in NO hurry, clean the wheels when I wash the MH but no maintenance to the brakes AS yet. Thanks for your insite and information! Be safe!
Old 03-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gramps- View Post
It has Bosch brakes, as to why you are not having trouble that is a very good question. How long does the rig sit between trips? What are your driving habits like? Do you downshift and use the engine to help brake or do you just brake? What type of maintainece do you do on your brakes if any? Do you use a supplemental braking system in your tow car? Do you wash your rig wheels which helps to clean the ABS sensors? There are so many factors that could cause a problem or help not to cause one. If anyone knows for sure, they ain't saying yet.
Boy, there sure is alot of questions pointing to the owners. May I be so bold as to ask a few myself? Did workhorse install a brake system that is to small for our mh's? Did workhorse state in our owners manual how often we should use our mh or our brakes would fail? Does workhorse have a manual on how to correct our driving habits( I bet ford is glad these guys with these driving habits, who had brake failures didnt buy their chassis)? Did workhorse explain in the owners manual how to wash my wheels and I did'nt get the memo? And last but not least, I guess the mh's that dont tow but had brake issues need to install a supplemental brake system.
I dont know the answers either and since I've had 3 failures, I am waiting on answers from nhtsa myself.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Okay, jdsr why do YOU think Travel hasn't had a failure? Whoose fault is it when the brakes work?

Just for edification:

Symptoms of a foulded or dirty Speed Sensor are that the brake will drop down in segments and act erratic. It almost seems like pressure is applied and something breaks and the pedal will drop down before engaging a second or third time. If these are your symptoms, odds are you have dirty
sensors and they are not properly detecting the speed of the wheel believing it has stopped and reporting you to the ECU that you have lost traction. to that wheel.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Okay, jdsr why do YOU think Travel hasn't had a failure? Whoose fault is it when the brakes work?

o that wheel.
I dont know and you dont either But I surly wont blame PEOPLE I DONT KNOW driving habits, lack of use, lack of service, how they use their trans, and how they wash there wheels. To the op, If I were you I would wait for the results from the nhtsa or you can go here www.nhtsa.gov and read the test results they have so far.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh....man, I just bit my tongue. Hold on a second, I think it quit bleeding, yea, I'm fine now.
Sure I'll go read those reports, again, reports submitted by a bunch of people I don't know except for one..me!

The day I had my failure, I was riding the brakes, wasn't down shifting and forgot to turn on my toad brake so guess what? I think my brake failure was my own fault. I think it almost cost me 2200 bucks because the service center was trying to rip me off and would have, if I given into the scare tactics and replaced two sets of rotors and calipers. Now I don't think my failure has anything to do with anybody's elses, but it did make me change my driving habits.

(oops, I am being a smarty alec again)
Old 03-12-2009, 11:32 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Oh....man, I just bit my tongue. Hold on a second, I think it quit bleeding, yea, I'm fine now.
Sure I'll go read those reports, again, reports submitted by a bunch of people I don't know except for one..me!

The day I had my failure, I was riding the brakes, wasn't down shifting and forgot to turn on my toad brake so guess what? I think my brake failure was my own fault. I think it almost cost me 2200 bucks because the service center was trying to rip me off and would have, if I given into the scare tactics and replaced two sets of rotors and calipers. Now I don't think my failure has anything to do with anybody's elses, but it did make me change my driving habits.

(oops, I am being a smarty alec again)
you forgot you didnt wash your wheels that day(lol) but you did have a failure and traded it in in less than 45 days. Shoot , you couldnt get out of it quick enough. I think I will wait for nhtsa results before I blame mh owners. Have a nice day now, ya hear.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:20 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I will have a nice day. I traded for my UFO 45 days later cause I made the mistake of test driving one at an FMCA rally a few weeks after my brakes got hot and I was hooked like a fish! It's sad but true..I was the victim of an obsession. You have no idea how hard I shopped for a coach with an interior and floorplan the DW would love so I could get the UFO but it was worth it, even with Monaco's present troubles. So you are almost right, the truth is, I couldn't get INTO it (the UFO) quick enough.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I spent almost 4 years researching and shopping for this chassis and I learned to choose my sources very carefully now. So to answer the op question, wait for nhtsa report and maybe those of us who are having or have had issues will get some answers.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsr View Post
I spent almost 4 years researching and shopping for this chassis and I learned to choose my sources very carefully now..
jdsr, I hope the results of the EA live up to your expectations. I don't believe you made a mistake with your choice.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The question I have is "What should I do to the brake system basicly to keep it trouble free? Any ideas will help reguardless how far out they are! I know the problem is large but a starting point is somwhere. Thanks
Old 03-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel View Post
The question I have is "What should I do to the brake system basically to keep it trouble free?
Flush and bleed your brakes at least annually to 18 months.
Lubricate your pins and slides at least every 2 years.
Grease your bell crack or brake relay rod periodically at least 2 times a year.
Lay off your brakes. Apply them only to stop the vehicle. Use select shifting and or transmission grade braking (TGB) whenever possible.

That's a start.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good advice from Driver. If you have read about all the problems some folks have had, then you need to be proactive with your Driving Habits and your maintenance. Be certain, that you use a qualified Braking system on the Toad, as this helps releive some of the strain on the RV.