Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2009, 04:45 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Brake monitor alarm

This maybe way out in left field but lets see what others think . My instrument panel will provide a warning signal audible and visual if the turn indicator is left on for an extended period of time and I think it is a great idea and has alerted me a few times. Now since we all know that there is a code recorded after the brakes have been actuated for more than 2 minutes with the vehicle moving why could there not be a similar alarm to alert us to this situation as well. Maybe it could be as simple as a small indicator lamp that comes on with the brake lights.
What do you think?

Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2009, 08:38 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK so i guess this is a bad idea 45 view and no replies thanks to all that looked.

Rick
Old 11-27-2009, 09:55 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Rick

This is a good idea if your already monitoring OBD2 codes.
Try sending it to Scanguage or VMS producers. To them it's a software change. To anyone else it's a whole system development. One that can't be done in the garage by a normal person at least.

Dick
Old 11-27-2009, 10:06 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why would you want a 2 minute delay in the warning. If you want a red light on the dash to warn you that you are applying the brakes, just run a circuit off the brake light switch to the dash warning lamp.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Quote:
Why would you want a 2 minute delay in the warning. If you want a red light on the dash to warn you that you are applying the brakes, just run a circuit off the brake light switch to the dash warning lamp.
Dieselclacker
Exactly Diesel thats what i suggested as the simplest way
Quote:
Maybe it could be as simple as a small indicator lamp that comes on with the brake lights.
The 2 minute thing is maybe something that could be incorporated into future builds and would coincide with the existing code setting feature and would not be as annoying as a light that comes on every time the pedal is depressed. I am sure the simple circuit could also have a delay timer build into it very easily without having to be part of the ECM circuity but would not provide the movement component so if you were stopped with the brakes applied (stop light) it would come on unnecessarily.
Just thinking out loud I guess.
Thanks for the replies
Rick
Old 11-28-2009, 10:26 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
If you want a 2 min delay use this time delay relay to light a light on the dash or even add a buzzer. Something Workhorse would have done if they knew what was comming.

Connect the brake kights to the input.

Amperite - 12D1-100SST1 - Allied Electronics
And here's the data sheet.
Cost about $30.00 plus wire light and resister.

Dick
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Amperite.pdf (217.2 KB, 50 views)
Old 11-28-2009, 06:24 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Dick that will work for sure . Might be a good winter project. The only problem I see is it might tell us something we don't want to know .

Rick
Old 11-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does'nt 2 minutes sound like a long enough time to heat up the rotors pretty good? It certainly never takes me 2 minutes to stop the MH and on long mtn. grades, to maintain my desired speed, I only stab them for maybe 1 to 3 seconds.

2 minutes of steady using the brake is a long time IMO, You could rub sticks for 2 minutes and start a fire, could'nt ya?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
Does'nt 2 minutes sound like a long enough time to heat up the rotors pretty good? It certainly never takes me 2 minutes to stop the MH and on long mtn. grades, to maintain my desired speed, I only stab them for maybe 1 to 3 seconds.

2 minutes of steady using the brake is a long time IMO, You could rub sticks for 2 minutes and start a fire, could'nt ya?
Max, I follow the same mountain braking method, only I use 5 seconds.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:27 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Max49;572922]Does'nt 2 minutes sound like a long enough time to heat up the rotors pretty good? It certainly never takes me 2 minutes to stop the MH and on long mtn. grades, to maintain my desired speed, I only stab them for maybe 1 to 3 seconds.

Max the reason I picked 2 minutes is that is the time that is already built into the existing system that sets the code in the ECM ie: 2 minutes of brake actuating and vehicle movement and that is one of the items that is looked at by the SC when determining the cause of brake component failure so actually WH picked the time.

I totaly agree with you that 3 seconds to 5 seconds is sufficient time to slow the unit down. Maybe we need a variable timer? or maybe we do not need any more gadgets just common sense.

Rick
Old 11-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Brake Temperature Alarm

I have posted this before but some that have joined this forum recently may not have seen it. This is what I have done:

Workhorse Chassis Brake Temperature Monitor

It is a pretty extreme solution but it works. It is set to sound an audible alarm if the temperature of the backing plate reaches 400 degrees. That has happened a couple of times since I installed it. Both were in conditions I think may have indicated a dragging caliper. Both cleared themselves after going to limp-along mode and allowing them to cool but without the alarm I may not have caught it before serious damage was done.

For a easier solution consider the 4-channel monitor referenced at the end of the linked page. It does not have an alarm function. There may be similar products that do but I do not know of one.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hwybnb.......
I noticed on the website below there is a 12volt version of the controller. Have you seen this? It appears to be the same as your 120v version.

If you have a chance maybe you can take a look and see if it is the same.

12V Dual Display PID Temperature Controller
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I mjust be missing something. Using the brake light switch (which is attached to the brake pedal) as a warning for a sruck caliper can't work. You will have released the brake pedal and the caliper is still stuck. No warning!

The temperature solution seems effective, if slightly heroic.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"The temperature solution seems effective, if slightly heroic.[/QUOTE]"

Actually the temperature monitor will serve a purpose after the "real" caliper replacements. It can warn you of a dangerous situation when going downhill
and give you time to either pull over if possible or downshift to slow down before toasting the brakes.
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote