Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2006, 10:11 AM   #1

On page 93 of my maintenance manual under "Preferred Maintenance" it is recommended that the "Brake pedal to master cylinder linkage pivot and joint" be lubricated at the time of chassis lubrication. It does not say what lubricant to use. Since there are no grease fittings, it appears that a couple of shots of oil would be in order. Am I correct?

This installation really looks marginal for something that gets as much usage as the brake pedal. It would seem to me that a lubicant such as chassis grease would be more appropriate.

Bob....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2006, 10:11 AM   #2

On page 93 of my maintenance manual under "Preferred Maintenance" it is recommended that the "Brake pedal to master cylinder linkage pivot and joint" be lubricated at the time of chassis lubrication. It does not say what lubricant to use. Since there are no grease fittings, it appears that a couple of shots of oil would be in order. Am I correct?

This installation really looks marginal for something that gets as much usage as the brake pedal. It would seem to me that a lubicant such as chassis grease would be more appropriate.

Bob....
Old 09-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bob, Later models are eqipped with a grease fitting on the upright shaft on the piece you are referring to. I understand some owners had this fitting installed free of charge at w/h service centers. My 2003 manufactured 2004 W-22 Workhorse does not have the fitting. My service center does not know anything about it, but that is about par for the course with this dealer. There are pictures somewhere on this site showing proper location. Driver also has info I believe.

Dieselclacker
Old 09-04-2006, 11:08 AM   #4

We just had new Koni shocks put on the front of a Workhorse W22. They also installed a grease zerk in the upright shaft of the brake linkage. They charged us $85 total. They drilled a pilot hole in the outside of the vertical shaft and then used a bottom tap to thread the hole for the grease zerk. Now you can grease it just like any other chassis fitting.

2006 Gulfstream Ultra LE 6316
ghamblen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:24 PM   #5

hey ghamblen...how about a picture for us DIY'ers???
Is the zerk in the coach or outside underneath???
Old 09-04-2006, 12:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a link to a photo showing the zerk installation.

Photo
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:11 PM   #7
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I installed one myself. Get a zerk fitting and the appropriate drill bit. Drill slowly until you just penetrate the outer collar - DON'T CONTINUE or you will mark the shaft. Then take a sharp tool like an awl and pick out the cut metal enlarging the opening through the collar. Dosn't have to be a perfect opening.
Then screw in the zerk fitting till it threads itself into the collar - NOT too tight so that it pushes up against the shaft. Slide the collar up and down and make sure there is still free play.
Then grease away till grease comes out above and bellow the collar. I used chassie grease.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:32 PM   #8

WCC Tech Support required one be installed on my 2001 after they replaced all the components under warranty two months ago as they suspected the brakes (calipers) were dragging and caused the severely cracked rotors.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #9

Thanks to all who took the time to respond to my original post and particularly to wa0mqe for the photo. I oiled the clevises with engine oil, but some WH secondary strucutre which has the fuse box mounted on it creates a real problem for drilling for a zerk.

Bob, wa7hra
Old 09-09-2006, 10:25 AM   #10
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I don't understand. The shaft colar is right in front of you under the "hood" - easy to get to with a drill. I can send you a picture if you would like.
I some one can help me post it ( tell me how) I will.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:10 PM   #11

I have seen the area under the hood on a 2003 or 2004 Dolphin and the brake actuator bar is almost impossible to see. You can reach behind the structure post and feel the actuator bar behind it. It would be very difficult to get to with an ordinary drill. Might be possible with a small right angle drill. Maybe another Dolphin owner has done this modification.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:53 PM   #12

I can get to mine pretty good, mine has some space at the top of the collar so I hit it with some motor oil after seeing this thread. It seemed to take oil inside the collar freely, I also put some oil on the connections where the pins are. We've had no brake problems, but it seemed like good insurance to start lubing this part. Richard
Old 09-10-2006, 01:06 AM   #13

ghamblen is correct. The only way to get at the "collar" would be to remove the fuse box from the chassis and force it out of the road which would involve bending a wire bundle the size of your wrist. Not a good procedure.

Bob...
Old 09-10-2006, 10:48 AM   #14

wa7hra - Would it be possible to use a pump type oil can with a flexible spout to oil that top collar area. You might be able to put a bend in the spout and reach back behind that frame structure to get some oil in there for lubrication. Just a thought.