Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2009, 02:50 AM   #1

Brake Pedal problems on P-32

Hi all

New memebr here from ENGLAND

Why is it after storing the RV for 6 months the brake pedal dont come back up all the way after being applied! this leaves the brake lights on, after driving it for a few times this dont happen, We own a Damon Daybreak 2001 which has covered 36000 miles on a Workhorse Chassis P-32! 35 foot with 1 super slide in ENGLAND

Thanks

Darren
dazza40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:22 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Make sure that the "bell crank" grease zerk has been installed to start with.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:14 AM   #3

No it aint mate! well i dont think it has, not sure where to look
Old 03-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #4

I just picked up my 2004 Hurricane on a P32 chassis last weekend from storage and had the same problem. I had to keep pulling up the pedal with my toe. I couldn't find any answer on RV.net so I tried here. I'm also a new member and this is my first post. I found a thread here that helped but now I can't find it again. There is a similar problem on the W22 chassis that seems to require the addition of a grease fitting to a "torque tube" linkage that can be found from the front of the engine compartment. On the P32, I went under the chassis, looked up and found a similar linkage. In my case, there is a tube approximately 4 inches long and about an inch in diameter with links attached. The bolt running through it appeared to be over tightened. I loosened it up half a turn and sprayed it , and the attached linkages, with some aerosol white lithium grease and it is much better now. I plan to look at this in greater detail when the weather gets a little better and before a take any trips. Try looking in this area and good luck.
Terry
Terry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:00 AM   #5

Thanks mate, will do. when i drive the rv i always pull the pedal up with my foot.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:01 AM   #6

I must say you guays are a lot more help then the guys on RV.Net

Thanks again every1
Old 03-13-2009, 04:15 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
brake bellcrank grease fitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza40 View Post
No it aint mate! well i dont think it has, not sure where to look
do a forum search on bellcrank grease fittings. you should be able to find some pictures. find the brake master cylinder under the hood and look next to it. the search function of this new site is not working as well as on the old site.
i have some posts related to installing the grease fitting, but no pictures. you can find them by searching for posts by DAN L.
you can do that by clicking on my name icon to the left of this post.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:21 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club

For a temp fix run a heavy spring from brake cylinder arm to the chassie frame in general area until you can place a zerk fitting.

Welcome mate dazza40 to irv2. Glad to have you from across the great pond.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:12 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's Oemy fix for the "zerk" fitting--- I dug it out for you.

Back iin late 2003 or early 2004 there were a number of people that reported that the brake pedal did not return completely. The usually fix was for the dealer to install some sort of return spring on the brake bellcrank. But, Workhorse finally fixed the problem by adding a grease zerk to the bellcrank shaft. If you were under warranty Workhorse would install it free. I elected to do mine own as I was 150 miles from my dealer.
I use a 1/4x28 Grease Zerk. This takes a #3 drill bit or 7/32 drill bit for the proper tap.
The Problem

The Fix

Return to Tech Tips
Old 03-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #10

Dazza 40,
This is the thread I found last week that helped me. " brake pedal doesn't rise completly " started by Rick_od. I thought it contained photos but I don't find any now. It looks a little different than the above photos from the W22 chassis but the same principle and adifferent location. I don't know if the addition of a grease fitting would help but I don't think it would hurt. The next warm dry weekend I want to look in more detail to find eaxctly what is binding.
Cheers
Terry
Old 03-14-2009, 06:30 AM   #11

Thanks for all the replies guys, we had a look under the RV today and there is no zerk fitted, took the RV for its yearly inspection (MOT Test) and the pedal was fine, we know there is a problem. we are washing it maybe tomorrow so we will see about fitting a zerk, once again many many thanks

Dazza
Old 03-14-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza40 View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys, we had a look under the RV today and there is no zerk fitted,
Dazza, Open the bonnet and the fitting should be located at approximately eye level adjacent to where the steering column comes through the fire wall. The fitting that we are describing is not under the RV.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Talking

Lift the bonnet!!!, spoken like a true englishman, DriVer.

Dieselclacker
Old 03-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Dazza, Open the bonnet and the fitting should be located at approximately eye level adjacent to where the steering column comes through the fire wall. The fitting that we are describing is not under the RV.
DriVer,
I'm not sure you will find it at eye level on his P32 chassis. All of the photos I have seen of the linkage on the W-22 are nothing like mine. I can't speak for all years, but I have a 2004 Hurricane on a 2003 P32-chassis. On this chassis the only way to get to the linkage is from below.
Terry