Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2009, 07:04 AM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Driver, it looks to me that what probably happened here is that when the "pins were lubed" the caliper pistons were probably pushed back in their bores. whadda ya think?"
"To DAN L., I believe that Max has a handle on this process and this is my experience as well."
Well now, first we're told to lub the pins on the calipers. Now the problem happened because the pins on the calipers were lubed. Am I understanding this correctly? I had the pins lubed at a qualified service center. I don't know if they pulled the calipers or not. I was not allowed to watch because of insurance reasons (supposedly). If this is the case, then Workhorse needs to clear all this up. What is the correct procedure to lub the caliper pins? Jeez, are you saying if I did not have the pins lubed the problem may not have occurred?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think you can forget about the pins causing the problem. Both of my front locked up and it is now in the shop waiting for Workhorse to make up their mind about to cover or not to cover the repair under warrenty. I watched the mechanic pull the calipers off of mine and all the pins were lubed well with a high temp graphinte grease. So I think the pins have nothing to do with all of our problems, it is the calipers I would bet. This pin lube and brake fluid flush has nothing to do with our problems. I have 16000 miles on my MH and this is the third time. The first time was the rear calipers, they replaced the calipers and no more problems with the rear, then it was the left front , took in and they lubed the pins, less than 60 days later both front locked up. I have had problems with the left front before and if they would have replaced the caliper when I took it in , we would have caught it before all the damage to other parts. But Workhorse is just dancing around the problem and it would not surprise me in the least if they try to wiggle out of this recall. Next thing we are going to hear is that the Brake caliper manufacturer has went belly up and we will be stuck with a bunch of motor homes that nobody would want. I cannot beleive they would let us set standed, broken down while they toss the dice as to fix or not, when they know d** well if is their engineering problem. Very discusted with them right now.
I wonder what Workhorse is going to do when someone gets killed with this problem and they also have a class action law suit against them for millions of dollars . Are they going to also go belly up like the rest of the companies we are hearing about every day. I would think that in times like this they would be doing all they can to retain their customer base. But you know if this is not straighten out they are going under. I know I will tell everyone I know and I am sure everyone else will also. Nothing like a ticked off customer. Can cost you a lot of business. Workhorse is not the only one in this game.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #31

Richard,
You are reading it correctly, the opinions here change like the wind. Starting way back when it was all our fault for not knowing how to drive.Then it was follow our maintnance instructions and you will be ok. Then it was the disclaimer "these are only mods opinions, not WH directives" now, don`t do the maintnance. And still no official word from WH except wait for parts.If WH had responded properly in the beginning instead of trying to cover their butt by blaming everybody else this process would be a lot farther along.

uote=Richardrky;526070]"Driver, it looks to me that what probably happened here is that when the "pins were lubed" the caliper pistons were probably pushed back in their bores. whadda ya think?"
"To DAN L., I believe that Max has a handle on this process and this is my experience as well."
Well now, first we're told to lub the pins on the calipers. Now the problem happened because the pins on the calipers were lubed. Am I understanding this correctly? I had the pins lubed at a qualified service center. I don't know if they pulled the calipers or not. I was not allowed to watch because of insurance reasons (supposedly). If this is the case, then Workhorse needs to clear all this up. What is the correct procedure to lub the caliper pins? Jeez, are you saying if I did not have the pins lubed the problem may not have occurred?[/quote]
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:01 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardrky View Post
"Driver, it looks to me that what probably happened here is that when the "pins were lubed" the caliper pistons were probably pushed back in their bores. whadda ya think?"
Richardrky, Not observing how your caliper pins were serviced, it is possible that if the pistons were pushed back they could have presented the problem that you are experiencing.

Quote:
What is the correct procedure to lube the caliper pins? Jeez, are you saying if I did not have the pins lubed the problem may not have occurred?
The correct procedure to lube the pins is to remove the tire, remove the pins and dismount the caliper. Inspect all surfaces for anomalies. Inspect and clean the surfaces that meet one another as necessary. Restore the caliper & shoes. Insert and torque pins, leading and trailing pins are different. I believe this procedure is detailed in the Bosch brake manual we have here in the stickies you may want to go and check that.

When the caliper is restored to its operating position it's likely that the pads will be pushed back so the fit over the rotor will be easier. This will push back the piston in the bore and that might present a problem.

I believe that you can lube the pins monthly and it would possibly not have been effective in preventing a seizure. The root cause of the problem is the fluid in the piston bores that accumulated moisture and imparts that to the piston.

The field expedient of removing and lubing the pins and reinserting the pins will only assure that the pins have lubrication on them however that will not rule out any other issues that may impact the brake unless the unit is disassembled.

From what we have been seeing here and reading in the reports as the logical point of failure, the most effective maintenance procedure would have been to flush the brake fluid on a periodic basis from when the vehicle was placed in service. The indicator for this is because RVs sit around a lot and don't enjoy constant repetitive brake cycles.

The same brakes on Workhorse commercial chassis which are driven daily with hundreds of cycles per day do not exhibit this type of problem. Those guys just simply wear out their brakes.

Over the past couple of years since we've begun speaking about brakes, I made recommendations along the lines of bleeding the calipers on an annual basis even if it were only 1 good pump per wheel - that would have dumped a lot of the water overboard and possibly have extended our brake service life. I have worn a lot of band-aids for suggesting this in the past.

There are excellent reasons why phenolic was chosen as the piston material however (>total wild guess on my part<) what was unavailable to Bosch engineers at the time is how infrequently these vehicles would be driven.

I can see the think tank session at Bosch now ..... lets build a Class 6 vehicle, let it sit around unused for months at a time and then run the heck out of it for a few days and then put it away wet until the next time. I guess that this vehicle use requirement is going to be considered quite heavily going forward since close to 180,000 calipers are going to need to be replaced.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Richard,
You are reading it correctly, the opinions here change like the wind. Starting way back when it was all our fault for not knowing how to drive.Then it was follow our maintnance instructions and you will be ok. Then it was the disclaimer "these are only mods opinions, not WH directives" now, don`t do the maintnance. And still no official word from WH except wait for parts.If WH had responded properly in the beginning instead of trying to cover their butt by blaming everybody else this process would be a lot farther along.

uote
[/quote] Oh boy is that a true statement. Also it was said we dont use enough and they sit on sales lots without being used. I guess the fords dont sit on these sales lots very long. Hey, nhtsa has spoken and we are not at fault.