Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to gonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
are all w 22's being recalled or are there just some with the problem????

Here is the link to the recall:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...e&refurl=email
gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2009, 06:06 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
are all w 22's being recalled ????
faye, Simple answer, Yes.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just came back from the Workhorse center in Amsterdam, NY and was told by the service manager that my back brakes on both sides were bad and that Workhorse would replace them at their expense. This is on my Winnebago W-22. He told me about the same as DriVer has been saying. He said that the brakes lines absorbs moisture into the Dot 3 or 4 and then when the RV sets for a long time the water goes to the lowest point in the system and that is at the calibers. Then rust is formed and the rest is history. They have to find and order a set of calibers. They have had this happen before and when they find them they are sent overnight. I have had to cancel reservations because of this problem, but am glad I found it now instead of on the road.
This may help anyone having the problem. My RV was stored last winter for six months. In May I got it out and everything seem to be OK. I took a 4 day trip and when I got home the brakes were hot to the touch. My right back side was about 250 degrees at the caliper and the other side was about 150 degrees. So after getting in contact with Workhorse and the Service Center an appointment was made which was today. I tried driving the RV around home for a few miles and all was OK. Today I had to go down 2 steep hill and after the first hill all was still OK. But on the second hill the brakes got hot. At the Service Center the left side was 275 degrees and the other side was 165 degrees. So, I have come to the conclusion that the longer it is run the more they heat up. I am about an hour and half from the Service Center and I babyed the brakes all the was there. I hope the calipers get there by next week so I can get on our trip west.
RDNesbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver View Post
faye, simple answer, yes.

i went to the workhorse site and the 2004 seabreeze lx 1311 with the wh 22 and it isnot on the list????
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #33

Quote:
i went to the workhorse site and the 2004 seabreeze lx 1311 with the wh 22 and it isnot on the list????
FAYE: I'm not sure what "list" you are referring to, but ALL W-20, 21, & 22 chassis will be recalled.

If you own one of these and did not receive the "interim" letter by now, then perhaps your contact info in the database is incorrect...or the letter got lost in the mail somehow. You need to verify that you are the owner of record to be sure you get the recall letter when it goes out.

If you want to send me a PM or email with your 17 digit Vin # and full name, I can check the database for you. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDNesbitt View Post
He told me about the same as DriVer has been saying. He said that the brakes lines absorbs moisture into the Dot 3 or 4 and then when the RV sets for a long time the water goes to the lowest point in the system and that is at the calibers. Then rust is formed and the rest is history.
Well, that is partially true.. partially smoke.

I spoke with the national service manager for Workhorse. This mess is his personal headache. IF the horse has a mouth, he is it.

I also read the recall specifics.

Though moisture is the problem, rust is not.

But, be that as it may. the basic facts are this:

1: There is a problem
2: Workhorse, Bosch and the NHTSA have investigated, tested, determined what the problem is and
3: They (Bosch and Workhorse) are going to fix it.

The details, we really don't need to know, but if you want to know they were explained to me like this.

Bosch choose a composite material for the piston in the callipers, This man made (the word "Plastic" means man made) pistion can absorb mositure and when it does, it tends to "Swell" a bit, this causes it to jam in the caliper.

Plus as the caliper starts to heat up the pistion initally has a greater coefiecent of expansion than the cylinder so it jams even tighter (Means it gets bigger, faster) once a fairly high temp is reached however this reverses, but by now damage is happening.

So, the thing absorbes water, swells, sticks, gets very hot, thus giving off the moisture (not necessary on the dry side) and stays stuck due to the heat, then it eigher gets hot enough to release, or it cools and releases (Cause you stopped) but either way damage is done.

The retrofit will be different pistons, ones that do not behave in this manner.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #35

Brake problems in Texas

I recently had the same brake problems on a trip to Houston. While driving to a campground on I-45 south of Houston I had to stop suddenly for a red light. When the light changed I had trouble accelerating. Originally thought I had a transmission problem until we noticed the smell of burning brakes. I then remembered about the brake warning. Having no place to pull over I continued for a couple of miles to the campground. This has happened before on a trip to Alabama. The MH had been stored all winter but had used it in May for a trip to a nearby campground with friends. I own an '06 Allegro on a W22 chasis. Don't think the brakes were wet when the problem occured. They seem to drag after I have to make a quick stop for some reason.
u431678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #36

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, the #%&@ has hit the fan. Workhorse say that my brakes are not bad enough for them to fix them, so I have to fix them at my expense and Alpin Haus has a problem finding parts. I called Workhorse back and done a lot of complaining and they told me later that Alpin Haus would look at the brakes again after I told her that I was going to see a lawyer. I know there is a problem because I got the recall letter. How hot do the brakes have to get before that will fix them? Now my RV sits at Amsterdam, mostly loaded for our trip to the west. I called Aphin Haus back and they didn't know about checking the brakes again. They will call me tomorrow. Anyone have a solution? More to come later.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the W24 chassis on my 07 Pace Arrow, I haven't read any news on these brakeing systems.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:49 AM   #38

Offshore- As I understand it, your W24 is not affected, quoting Ed above: ALL W-20, 21, & 22 chassis will be recalled. The W24 is not included as your calipers are not the same. Hit the snooze.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:18 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Nesbit, You can continue on your trip as long as you abide to certain procedures. If possible do not tow a dingy without brakes. If you must, ( I just did) avoid any traffic driving. Try driving off hours to avoid using the brakes as often. You dont want to heat up the brakes as this will cause a incident. I have traveled over 5k miles after my first incident with only one reaccurance.
Its not fun driving this way, but it will get you there. Get to know your rig and how it feels when you stop normally. When taking off from a light it should roll freely and without squealing after the brake pedal has been released. Downshift as often as possible which means every time you stop. If I were you I would at least bleed the brakes until the recall has been completed.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #40

Workhorse Chassis Owner
angelman, I did have the Workhorse center bleed my brakes about a month ago. Then after taking a 4 day trip, this is when the brakes heated up. So, as the story goes, after calls to WH and the Service Center, I took it to the Service Center. After about an hour drive there, the calipers were about 270-280 degrees. The Center told me I had total brake failure on both back brakes. This was the second time driving for a little over one hour that they heated up. WH told the Service center they would not take care of my problem. After a second call to them they said the same thing. They would not fix the problem just because the brakes heated up. So, I guess just because the braked heat up, this is not a dragging brake caliper, so they won't fix it. I guess to have the calipers replaced the brakes have to be dragging, the ABS sensors burnt up, smoke coming from the wheels and a soft pedal. I made another call to WH today and they said to leave a message and they would call me back. I think they got my number now and they don't want to talk with me anymore. I left a message asking them to send me a letter stating that my RV was safe to drive. Like that will ever happen. The Service Center has ordered new calipers for me, which they can't get till sometime in August. So the trip west is off and I'll still be bugging WH everyday. The Safety Recall letter say if you have replaced the calipers after Nov. 16 2007, you may be eligible for reimbursement on certain repairs. Time will tell. Maybe I should call the National Traffic Safety Administration and the DOT and tell them how I feel.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #41

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well wish me luck I am starting on a 8 week trip next Tuesday. I was hoping this brake thing would have been solved by now and the motor home would have different calipers. Yes I said over a year ago that the problem was the caliper pistons, Chrysler had the same problem years ago with the fiber pistons. They would swell. the fix was replace with steel and no more problems. It is just a worry when you have enough worries with our that. So wish me luck.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #42

Nesbitt:
The Interim Notice states: Failures encountered before the new parts become available will be repaired under warranty using the current designed parts, (emphasis added)

but also contains this escape clause: There are numerous other causes for caliper failures such as insufficient maintenance, riding the brakes, or overuse of the brakes on long downgrades. WH will not reimburse owners for these type of failures or resulting damage. (emphasis added)

Taking your statement of the facts at face value- the Service Center declared the failure, but WH declined to support a cure, so I guess they are saying you have one of those other causes for caliper failures. Are you guilty of insufficient maintenance, riding the brakes, or overuse of the brakes on long downgrades?