Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #1

Brake recall information needed

We have a 2006 Itasca 35A on a workhorse W22, with only 13,000mi, I'm just now getting ready to fight with workhorse on the chassis brake caliper recall. If anyone has any info that my be of help please post it. I'm sure I am not the only RV owner being told that I may have to pay for $1800 dollars in brake repair cost on factory recall ?
4eigner32892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #2

I had the same issue when I bought our coach 1.5 years ago - the RV repair shop has to be your ally in this battle - need to email pics of the damaged parts and then stay on them till warranty work is authorized - I recall they paid for the parts (some, not all) and I had to pay for the labor but when safety is at issue, get the repairs done and fight the battle later - did you buy the coach from a dealer ?
zorro2kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eigner32892 View Post
We have a 2006 Itasca 35A on a workhorse W22, with only 13,000mi, I'm just now getting ready to fight with workhorse on the chassis brake caliper recall. If anyone has any info that my be of help please post it. I'm sure I am not the only RV owner being told that I may have to pay for $1800 dollars in brake repair cost on factory recall ?
YOU cannot be REQUIRED to spend any money. Workhorse MUST provide the calipers and lost fluid and the labor to install same at no cost to you. PERIOD. That is what the recall says. You can refuse to replace additional parts and they must put you back together "as-is" with just the new calipers and fluid installed.
Now, IF the ASC is telling you "need" new rotors, pads, etc because they are worn (not likely with only 13K on the odo), then the ASC is trying to sell you parts. If they tell you these parts are damaged beyond safe use, then they are supposed to submit pictures to WCC and get WCC to cover their replacement as "collaterally damage" by the sticking calipers.
Good luck in your "fight", and remind the dealer they are supposed to be your "advocate" in getting WCC to pay for collateral damage parts.

Let us know how this all works out for you.
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had mine done on my 2003 Aurora gold last fall - no charge. Have you registered your coach here : www.workhorse.com/‎ ? After I purchased mine I registered it and found the recalls for the instrument cluster and the Catalytic Converter were done in 2007. Only authorized workhorse centers can perform this recall at no charge.
onlakegaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
We have a 2006 Itasca 35A on a workhorse W22, with only 13,000mi, I'm just now getting ready to fight with workhorse on the chassis brake caliper recall.
4eigner32892, Foreigner (nice)

Can you please extend your remarks so that we can have a better idea as to what's going on? Who gave you the estimate of $1,800.00 and why? Why would you think that you had to get into a fight with Workhorse?

There's a pretty good chance that the recall has already been done on your motorhome. What's are the last 6 digits of your VIN#?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
4eigner32892, Foreigner (nice)

Can you please extend your remarks so that we can have a better idea as to what's going on? Who gave you the estimate of $1,800.00 and why? Why would you think that you had to get into a fight with Workhorse?

There's a pretty good chance that the recall has already been done on your motorhome. What's are the last 6 digits of your VIN#?
Lodi RV in CA is telling me that on most of the recalls they have done there has been a need to install new brake pads & rotors at the owners cost. with and estimated cost as high as $1800. I bought the coach new so I know the recall work has not been done.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Lodi RV in CA is telling me that on most of the recalls they have done there has been a need to install new brake pads & rotors at the owners cost. with and estimated cost as high as $1800. I bought the coach new so I know the recall work has not been done.
All so the several workhorse reps that I have spoke with can not give me a straight answer as to who should pick up the cost of any repair work that may be needed to the brakes.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All good advise. I would do what edgray posted.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #9

Quote:
I don't doubt Lodi told you that, BUT, "most" is not YOURS, so I suggest you tell them you will not authorize any parts replacement unless they SHOW you YOUR parts and explain why they "need" to be replaced. I would find another dealer before paying $1800.00 for rotors and pads, even if they are needed. How far is it to Redlands CA?

As I posted previously, they are required to perform the recall (replace the calipers) at no cost to you. Frankly, I'm a little surprised you're ready to "fight with WCC", when you don't even know if YOURS needs anything more than the recall.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
All so the several workhorse reps that I have spoke with can not give me a straight answer as to who should pick up the cost of any repair work that may be needed to the brakes.
4eigner32892, The 51101-C Brake Recall "Only" calls for the replacement of the 4 calipers, labor and fluid. Respectfully, this is all that you are going to get at this time considering that items like brake pads and rotors are items that wear out. 7 years on a set of brakes is good but probably not as good as I got with about 8 years and about 65,000 miles.

If you have never had the recall done and you have low miles, have the dealer machine the rotors and get new brake pads, seals and completely drain, refill and bleed out the hydraulic system. That alone should save you at least $1,000.00. Why wait so long to have the recall done? As you know there is no time limit on recalls however in the early days of the campaign, dealers were geared up for specials and packages so that owners didn't have to take a huge beating.

Many Workhorse owners have chosen to replace all their brake components at the time of the recall in order to start off with a fresh set of brakes. There was a program in place for that but with the closing of Workhorse those opportunities I expect are gone. If you are not pleased with the estimate that you received from Lodi RV in CA perhaps you need to go to an alternate dealer and get a 2nd opinion.

At the end of the day, don't expect Workhorse to replace all the brake components. I believe that you are just going to be disappointed unless an RSM agrees to repair obvious collateral damage and only if it can be proven that the failure of the recalled part created the damage.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #11

All good info.

First I would like to thank everyone for their input, I received a lot of good info. regarding my workhorse brake recall. I would like to respond to several comments. I only have 13,000 miles on the coach and do not believe any of the brake parts should need replacement unless caused by a caliber failure. I put the coach in a none operational status several years ago for personal & health reasons, thats why it has taken so long to get the recall taken care of. I put the cart before the horse after my discussions with workhorse and Lodi RV. I can not just drop by to have the brakes looked at. Its a 150 mile round trip to get the coach to Lodi towing my jeep for the return home due to the coach needing to stay at the shop for a few days. When I was told that there my be a cost of up to $1800 when I return to pickup my coach. I got a little worked up with it being the holiday season and money being so tight. Anyway Thanks again, great web-site, Dave
Old 12-28-2013, 07:58 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Time I put my two cents worth in. My friend was one of the first to have the recall done. The Workhorse dealer, a major truck facility just outside of Detroit charged him $1200 for new pads and rotors also $100 for a pressure flush. I had mine done about 5 months later. Knew I had a left rear problem whereas I had replaced a fried abs sensor. Dealer did the recall at no charge and informed me that the left rear rotor was scored and was refinished by the technician. Went home and with mirrors and good lighting was able to take good color pictures of a scored rotor with no signs of refinishing. Went back the next day. Asked the write-up person again what was done and he repeated the above. I showed the picture and asked if he was doing a brake job on his own vehicle if he would use this rotor? he informed that it was a lot worse prior to refinishing. I asked where were the tool marks. At that point, he stated bring it back in and we can cover that under warranty. When they replaced the rotor, he informed me that they were reusing the same brake pads. I wanted to inspect prior to reinstall. Shortly, he came back and stated that new pads were installed. I asked that they install the other half of the set on the opposite side and he firmly stated that warranty would not cover that. He offered to sell me the other half set for $40. which I refused. Later the technician came out and stated when I open the coach door, the other half set of pads are on the steps. went home and changed the right side myself. right rear rotor and pads were barely worn. I will try to add the photo. Happy Motoring John350 Tiffin Allegro Bay W22 2003
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6283.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	52755  
John350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #13

Quote:
First I would like to thank everyone for their input, I received a lot of good info. regarding my workhorse brake recall. I would like to respond to several comments. I only have 13,000 miles on the coach and do not believe any of the brake parts should need replacement unless caused by a caliber failure. I put the coach in a none operational status several years ago for personal & health reasons, thats why it has taken so long to get the recall taken care of. I put the cart before the horse after my discussions with workhorse and Lodi RV. I can not just drop by to have the brakes looked at. Its a 150 mile round trip to get the coach to Lodi towing my jeep for the return home due to the coach needing to stay at the shop for a few days. When I was told that there my be a cost of up to $1800 when I return to pickup my coach. I got a little worked up with it being the holiday season and money being so tight. Anyway Thanks again, great web-site, Dave
I agree with your opinion that there should be NO additional parts needed unless they were worn by a faulty caliper. In that case, the dealer is supposed to become your advocate and convince WCC the parts needed are "collaterally damaged".

However, if you authorized Lodi to "do whatever is needed" when you left it there, then you're at their mercy. I would CALL them and find out what they say is "necessary". If they tell you pads and rotors, then you should ask them to explain "why" WCC isn't paying, since you only have 13K and they cannot be "worn out" from normal use. Good luck, and please let us know how all this played out in the real world. Happy New Year! Ed
Old 01-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
My calipers where replaced under the recall with no charge for parts or work. This was 2 years ago and the RV had 10,000 miles on it then. The RV had no indication of a brake problem before recall was done & the Workhorse service center said they saw no evidence of over heated or damaged brake parts. I hope your recall out come
will be the same, especially if you had not noticed any problems with you brakes.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall, brake