Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #1

A while back, someone posted the procedure for adjusting the plunger on the brake switch. My cruise stopped working but if I hold back on the brake pedal with my toe it works fine.
The switch is only plastic so I don`t want to break anything.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #2

A while back, someone posted the procedure for adjusting the plunger on the brake switch. My cruise stopped working but if I hold back on the brake pedal with my toe it works fine.
The switch is only plastic so I don`t want to break anything.
Thanks

Old 05-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #3

Spoonman,
When you have the problem with the cruise control, do the brake lights stay on as well??
I ask because it may not be the pedal switch. I had this same problem and it ended up being the brake pedal linkage. It was tightened way too much. If it is the pedal, let me know and I will tell you how I adjusted it.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #4

Rick_od,
No, the brake lights aren`t on, but I would be interested in what you did to fix yours.
Thanks, Dick
Old 05-07-2007, 02:18 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
rick od I'm sure there are lots of lurkers beside myself that would like you to write up your procedure. Thanks in advance.

Spoonman, 007 did a write up here that might be what you're looking for.

Good luck.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #6

Donavon P,
Thank you,I think that is what I needed. I will adjust that tomorrow and give it a test.
Thanks to you both for your help and also 007 for his posts.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:25 AM   #7

Adjusted switch this AM and took it for a ride. Cruise works as it used to.
Life is good again, thanks to all who responded
Old 05-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #8

After I bought my RV I took it to get inspected. It wasn't due for five more months, but I wanted to make sure that it would pass. If not, I would take it right back to the dealer to get any items that failed fixed for free. If I waited five months and it failed, I would have no chance of getting it fixed for free. I failed because my brake lights would not go out after I pushed down on the pedal. I took it back and they greesed everything and it did work, but not for long. On my next trip, I noticed that the cruise control would not engage unless I hooked the brake pedal with the top of my foot and pulled it towards me. This worked until the next time I hit the brake and the pedal didn't return completly. I decided to fix it my self as the dealer had their chance. If it was something major, I would go back to the dealer. My RV is a P-32. Connected to, and behind the brake pedal is a push rod that goes up and down through the floor. Attached to this linkage is a return spring. I was told that Workhorse had been replacing these springs with a stronger one. Even though I don't think this is where the problem was, I replaced mine. The push rod that goes through the floor attaches to a pivot point. Attached to this pivot point there is another push rod that goes towards the rear of the RV and goes forward and rearward. This pushrod attaches to the master cylinder.
The pivot point between the two pushrods is where my problem was. (This pivot point can be seen if you lay down, feet forward, on the drivers side, and just behind the front bumper. Have someone push on the brake pedal, you won't miss it.)
I origionally thought that the pivot was binding. I removed it, drilled a hole in it and tapped a thread so I could add a zerk fitting to greese it. The problem was really where the two push rods attached to the pivot point. The nuts were put on way too tight. When I was reassembling everything, I added some greese, tightened the nut untill snug, then backed it out one turn. There is no chance of it coming apart because the threads are about one inch long and has a cotter pin in it.
After everything was reassembled, the pedal was firm to push, but returned quickly. Havn't had a problem since.
Any questions, ask away.

Spoonman...glad you got it working !!