Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #1

I just read a post regarding brake failure on 2002-2004 W22 chassis.Pre-2004 year model WH chassis are having major brake problems and there is an on-going investigation by Workhorse and the NHTSA. I have a 2004 (built in 2003) Scottsdale/Newmar W22. I have 27,000 miles without any brake problems. Should I be concerned?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #2

I just read a post regarding brake failure on 2002-2004 W22 chassis.Pre-2004 year model WH chassis are having major brake problems and there is an on-going investigation by Workhorse and the NHTSA. I have a 2004 (built in 2003) Scottsdale/Newmar W22. I have 27,000 miles without any brake problems. Should I be concerned?
Old 06-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also have a 2004 built in 2003 and have had 3 failures so who knows. Im still waiting on NHTSA to tell me. Lord knows I've done everything I could do to keep me and my family safe.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:37 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bruce;

I have a 2003 Chieftain on a 2002 chassis. I have 37000 miles on it. I had the brakes and rotors checked this spring while having the slides lubed and every thing is fine. I did flush the brake fluid. I don't have a clue why some folks are having problems and many of us are not. I hope we get the answers soon as I feel sorry for those who are having problems.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:06 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Have the brakes checked! All four of our rotors were found to be cracked at 39K miles requiring replacement and also replacement of the calipers. Very expensive.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I had 65,000+ miles and no failures. I just completed a brake job and all the brake components were replaced except for the ABS sensors.

I'm expecting another 65,000 miles worth of trouble free miles.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:35 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Maybe the brake problem could be that some folks are just way to rough on their brakes. Some folks just don't know how to use the brakes properly, causing them to continuesly over heat, then crack, Cracking is from over heating, Right ? IMHO

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:33 AM   #8

Only one failure so far with all four calipers and cracked rotors replaced on my 2001 at 23,000 miles.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I have 26,500 miles on my rig. No cracked rotors, no scoring, just normal wear and tear. Except I had a caliper freeze up (I think) and heat melted an ABS sensor. However, I think my actual driving at the time was a major contributor to the problem.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:18 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -Gramps-:
Well, I have 26,500 miles on my rig. No cracked rotors, no scoring, just normal wear and tear. Except I had a caliper freeze up (I think) and heat melted an ABS sensor. However, I think my actual driving at the time was a major contributor to the problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Then why did only one brake overheat, It doesn't make any sense. There is without a doubt in my mind a serious fault in the workhorse brakeing system. What happened to you happened to me. I was on level ground and had not touched the brakes for 26 miles when the overheating of one wheel happened! Must of been my driving habits?
Old 06-12-2008, 12:34 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE]Originally posted by angelman:

Then why did only one brake overheat,

How about an intermittant electronic malfunction of the ABS control unit, or an improperly operating pressure control valve for one wheel, again part of the ABS system. Not using the brakes properly just doesn't cut with me. Maybe if all four brakes were overheating, or both brakes on same axle were acting up this could be a cause, but only one wheel getting hot would indicate a problem other than the driver. ABS is a very complicated system, and uses lots of electronics, and electrical components. My guess would be, given all the complaints of brake overheating, even after pin and slide lubrication had been performed, that the problem is electronic, or electrical.

I have a 2004 W-22 on a 2003 chassis with 22000 miles, and have had no brake problems. Hope it remains that way with my unit. I do believe there is a wide spread problem with the brakes on W-20 and W22 chassis from Workhorse, not all are affected, and those that have had multiple repairs made for the same problem have not been correctly diagnosed and repaired. Simply replacing a caliper and rotor does not eliminate a malfunctioning pressure control valve, ABS control unit, etc.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Dieselclacker
Old 06-12-2008, 01:10 PM   #12
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Jestme13 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Please read these forms and the various problems that users have had before you "Workhorse Like" blame ALL the users.
I had my left rear caliper seize up while I was driving up a 5 mile 6% grade hill. Later I had all the other rotors crack and the rear ABS sensors burn up.
I have had them repaired - I paid for part_ and havn't had the problem again BUT I don't trust the brakes. I would like to get rid of the unit but it is basicaly a good chassie and excellent coach. So I drive with my fingers and toes crossed and wait for Workhorse to step up to the plate -- yea like that will ever happen. If they wait long enough there won't be any units left on the road and they won't have to correct the problem.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:13 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree that there is a design problem. But that problem may lead to a failure because of conditions. Like hot day, riding the breaks and forgetting to turn the Toad breaking system on. Maybe but I don't know for sure and most likley never will.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:57 AM   #14

Until further notice or action by Workhorse or NHTSA, I've pulled the 60 amp ABS circuit breaker and will leave it out. Screw the lawyers. I'll be logging 8000 miles on my 2004 Southwind over the next 6 months including a lot of mountain driving and would rather not have a brake failure.

Larry
2004 Southwind 37C
2008 CRV toad
Blue Ox
lcsmith6922 is offline   Reply With Quote