Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Brakes locked up while on the road. 2000 Damon Daybreak on a 1999 workhorse chassis

hello everyone I'm Ricky, I have a 2000 Damon Daybreak on a 1999 workhorse chassis. I let a friend of mine borrow my Motor home to take to Florida and on his return trip the ABS system started locking down the brakes. so. he called a road tech to come out and they jacked it up with the Leveling jacks and he slid up in under it and pulled a carter pin and a pin out of the linkage and charged him well to much, 800.00.
after he pulled the pin out he told him he could continue driving home but to be sure to use the chalk blocks when putting in park. now I have the problem of trying to repair this issue my self. I have put the pins back in and the Auto Braking light remains on, I am disabled and it takes me a while to get back up but I am are should I say was a shop technician troubleshooter before I went head first into a tractor trailer. I have all the tools needed, meters and jack stands because Safety should and will be first and foremost. but what I am lacking is the Information on the Hydraulic pump and motor that actuates the brakes. and what if any are the troubleshooting tips. any help would be useful and thanks in advance for any. will start as soon as it stops raining in South Carolina LOL
trailblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ricky. Sorry to hear about your brake problems. I have moved your thread to the Workhorse Chassis Section so hopefully you will get more input from other Workhorse owners. Best of luck to you.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Sarah
Old 07-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I beleive you have a problem with the auto parking brake system not the ABS system. The first thing I would check would be the switch that controls it. OEMY'S web sight is the best place to go with these problems.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #5

trailblaze: Your ABS system won't cause the problem you described. I suspect that your J71 Auto Apply Parking Brake (AAPB) locked up and the "tow driver" ( rip off artist ) removed the pin to release the AAPB so the coach can be driven. Unfortunately, this device is the ONLY thing preventing your P32 chassis from rolling away because you don't have a Park Pawl inside the tranny.

You absolute BEST source of FREE info on the J71 AAPB system is via an email to Roger at : oldusedbear11@charter.net

Good luck,
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #6

Trailblaze:
Chev sold the chassis in Nov 1999 to workhorse and continued to build for WH for some time after. If your vin begins with a 1, then you are a Chev p32 chassis. Roger, aka OldSedBear is the man for the J71 AutoPark, as noted by edgray and will give you detailed info on your problem which in all likelihood is the infamous rotten green switch. He also will give you detailed instructions on how to diagnose the problem.If you have not already contacted him, do so with detailed info of the problem, including your vin #. The best defence against getting "fleeced" by unscrupulous "service" providers is your own knowledge of the systems in your coach. Been there got that. You can search this forum for more info.
I have replaced the RGS andthe grey one with Brazels "fancy" read bulletproof switches kit and will post after my trip out West. For the $800. "service" your friend paid is totally unacceptable in my opinion. I got fleeced by a generous motors "dearer" in NV, not far from the "strip".

Good luck on your repairs.

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
it was a RGS problem{ROTTEN GREEN SWITCH} but when replacing one i replaced both and the relay.ordered spares to have in case this happens again. Thanks to the help of the Oldusedbear he really got me going in the right direction, thanks again for any and all help provided and a special shout out to
oldusedbear11@charter.net
Old 09-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #8

Agapemou

Sorry about your parking brake issue. I too have a workhorse chasis and my auto brake light came on but it did not lock up luckly. I went to Brazel's in Washington and they fixed it in a matter of 30 minutes. There are 2 pressure switches in the system, one is in the front at the pump and the other is under the coach. one of them or both are leaking. Brazel's sell the set and has been tested for over a million operations. They advertise in MotorHome mag. They replaced both and have not had any more issues. Best of Luck.

www.brazelsrv.com or

Brazel's RV Performance
3912 Harrison Ave.
Centralia, Wa. 98531
1 877 786 1576

Talk to Jeff and tell him Vern sent you He will remember me. He is very helpful and will not blow you off I promise.
Agapemou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, damon, workhorse, chassis