Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2008, 09:34 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
I just finished a one year trip from SoCal up to Canada, back to Az, then west to Houston, up to Tenn, over to North Carolina, Virginia, Penn, west to Iowa, Minn, south to Colorado and back to SoCal - 11,400 miles. On the way back in Colorado the Eisenhower Tunnel was closed so we had to climb over the Loveland Pass at 12,000 feet. Boy, what a steep climb at that elevation, but she didn't miss a beat.

Last January 4000 miles into the trip in Quartzsite, Az I had the Brazel's guys revise my Ultrapower for better fuel economy. All along I was tracking the fuel and mileage closely in an Excel spreadsheet, noting the type of highway and driving conditions -- interstate vs back roads, wind, elevation gain/drop, and generator use. Through extended dry camping I know my generator uses 0.8 gal/hour so I track that for every fill up. Another thing I learned it that the Workhorse 75 gal tank is flat on top and when the fuel nozzle kicks off, I can get another 4-5 gal in the tank. The only way to know it's full is to take the time to get the gas right up to the top of the filler tube. I weigh in at just over 26K GCWR pulling our Suzuki Grand Vitara and usually drive 58-63 mph.

The results I got were 6.9 mpg before re-tuning the UP, and 7.16 after. Before I got to Az, none of the fuel I bought had ethanol. After I did the UP upgrade, all the fuel was 10% ethanol. A lot of folks have noted how 10% ethanol has had a big negative effect on their mileage - like 10-20% drop. In my case, the first 6.9 mpg was 4,000 miles all on the west coast with no ethanol. So considering the ethanol factor, an increase in mpg of 3.2% is pretty good.

Some background info on my coach....
I now have 36K miles on the coach.
I'm slightly overweight at 26,200 lbs GCWR.
I have about 20K miles with Brazels UP, CAI, and Taylor wires installed.
I have the WH vent kit installed after two episodes of burnt plug wires in the 1st 10K miles.
I use Castol Syntec 5w-30 synthetic oil.
I use AC Delco 2 quart oil filters.
I have Fleetrite synthetic transmission fluid in the Allison 1000 5-speed.
I do extended oil change intervals using Blackstone test results as an indication.
I have 3 Blackstone test reports that all show positive results on engine condition and wear factors.

I want to give my praise to Steve, Jon, and Mike at Brazels for a product that works well. The entire trip the engine ran strong and as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Here's a link to my Excel spreadsheet:
Fuel Spreadsheet
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2008, 09:34 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
I just finished a one year trip from SoCal up to Canada, back to Az, then west to Houston, up to Tenn, over to North Carolina, Virginia, Penn, west to Iowa, Minn, south to Colorado and back to SoCal - 11,400 miles. On the way back in Colorado the Eisenhower Tunnel was closed so we had to climb over the Loveland Pass at 12,000 feet. Boy, what a steep climb at that elevation, but she didn't miss a beat.

Last January 4000 miles into the trip in Quartzsite, Az I had the Brazel's guys revise my Ultrapower for better fuel economy. All along I was tracking the fuel and mileage closely in an Excel spreadsheet, noting the type of highway and driving conditions -- interstate vs back roads, wind, elevation gain/drop, and generator use. Through extended dry camping I know my generator uses 0.8 gal/hour so I track that for every fill up. Another thing I learned it that the Workhorse 75 gal tank is flat on top and when the fuel nozzle kicks off, I can get another 4-5 gal in the tank. The only way to know it's full is to take the time to get the gas right up to the top of the filler tube. I weigh in at just over 26K GCWR pulling our Suzuki Grand Vitara and usually drive 58-63 mph.

The results I got were 6.9 mpg before re-tuning the UP, and 7.16 after. Before I got to Az, none of the fuel I bought had ethanol. After I did the UP upgrade, all the fuel was 10% ethanol. A lot of folks have noted how 10% ethanol has had a big negative effect on their mileage - like 10-20% drop. In my case, the first 6.9 mpg was 4,000 miles all on the west coast with no ethanol. So considering the ethanol factor, an increase in mpg of 3.2% is pretty good.

Some background info on my coach....
I now have 36K miles on the coach.
I'm slightly overweight at 26,200 lbs GCWR.
I have about 20K miles with Brazels UP, CAI, and Taylor wires installed.
I have the WH vent kit installed after two episodes of burnt plug wires in the 1st 10K miles.
I use Castol Syntec 5w-30 synthetic oil.
I use AC Delco 2 quart oil filters.
I have Fleetrite synthetic transmission fluid in the Allison 1000 5-speed.
I do extended oil change intervals using Blackstone test results as an indication.
I have 3 Blackstone test reports that all show positive results on engine condition and wear factors.

I want to give my praise to Steve, Jon, and Mike at Brazels for a product that works well. The entire trip the engine ran strong and as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Here's a link to my Excel spreadsheet:
Fuel Spreadsheet
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Bill;
That is a great report that you furnished. Well done! It speaks well for the CAI, Ultra Power and oil analysis info. I especially liked the remark you made concerning the extra 4-5 gallons of fuel that can be added after the fuel nozzle kicks off. I'll put that in my memory banks for future use. Thanks.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
A small word of caution about topping off the tank. Unless you are heading back to the freeway and are able to burn off some fuel you will have no room for expansion. The fuel underground is a lot cooler and will expand a bunch especially in a 75 gallon tank.

Come to Myrtle Beach to the WCMMC rally and get you coach UltraPowered
Old 09-20-2008, 02:33 PM   #5

Hello,
My problem with add ons still comes down to return on investment. If the cost of the upgrade is $775.00 and it improves mileage .25 MPG it will take 72 tanks of gas to break even or 37,800 miles of driving based on 7 MPG. I would rather use the money to buy 193 gallons of gas (@ $4.00/gal). That is 1350 miles farther down the road.
Randy
knebrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by knebrdr:
Hello,
My problem with add ons still comes down to return on investment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Great Butt Dyno - Priceless!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:00 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
knebrdr,
The purpose of installing the Ultra Power programming, for me and many others, is to increase horsepower and torque performance. It keeps the tranny in a higher gear (without down shifting) up grades than before. The increase in mpg is a plus providing one keeps speed between 58 & 62 mph.

Ed
Old 09-20-2008, 06:37 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Duner:
I had the Brazel's guys revise my Ultrapower for better fuel economy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Duner for the trip report.

I'm just curious when Brazels started doing this, as I have asked before about this with an answer that they don't tune to a choice.

Maybe because of the "butt dyno" effect, the driver would tend to back off on the gas pedal causing an increase in MPG.

While your MPG gains are far from the Ultrapower advertised 1-3 mpg average increase(without the CAI and the Taylor wires), gains are gains never the less. I would attribute your MPG gain to all three aftermarket products you installed in combination with each other.

Thanks for the spreadsheet! I think your report is accurate and SPOT on!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Maybe because of the "butt dyno" effect, the driver would tend to back off on the gas pedal causing an increase in MPG. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>FRRVer, Hey! I resemble that remark!
Old 09-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Maybe because of the "butt dyno" effect, the driver would tend to back off on the gas pedal causing an increase in MPG. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>FRRVer, Hey! I resemble that remark! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont take it personal...I didn't capitalize the V in Driver.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:08 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Don't take it personal...I didn't capitalize the V in Driver. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>FRRVer, Probably a typo on your part no doubt!
Old 09-21-2008, 03:27 AM   #12

FRRVer,

Brazel's tunes the whole system to reach 14.7:1 fuel ratio, which is optimum. But, it takes fuel to create HP/TQ and when you do that and the customer uses it MPG suffers. Now if you slow down, get rid of some weight, and make any other changes in driving habits you may see an increase in MPG. Living in Colorado is not the best place in the world to be looking for MPG. You will loose at least 2% per 1000' of elevation. Also, if you toss in 10% ethanol and MPG/HP/TQ suffers even more.

I have been working with Steve Brazel to maximize UltraPower. I have been testing various changes to see if we can increase MPG, HP, Torque and anything else.

Example:

I wanted to test a NEW $26 MAF I got of Ebay. It has the same part number as the one came with my coach. One thing we saw was the long term fuel trims (LTFT) were high. I checked all the various items like fuel pressure (I have a gauge), O2 sensors, air filter etc. Nothing was out of spec. So, I ran scan and Steve "calibrated" my MAF so to speak and the LTFT dropped back to normal range. Will this change my MPG... time will tell. But, I can tell you one thing, all my customers get a static scan that is sent with the ECM code when they get UltraPower.

What is static scan? Basically I hook up my laptop scan tool, start the engine, run the RPM's to 2000 and hold it for about 2 mins. Then I stop the scan, save it and export it to an Excel .csv file. Steve reviews this and makes any adjustments to the UltraPower tune as necessary. IE - Calibrate the MAF. So your UltraPower tune is made up of your current ECM code, any updates from GM, UltraPower and customized calibrations. Nobody else offers this.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:43 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
So your UltraPower tune is made up of your current ECM code, any updates from GM, UltraPower and customized calibrations. Nobody else offers this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Who's the man!
Old 09-21-2008, 04:41 AM   #14

More on MPG.

I just did a tune yesterday on a 35'+ 07 NRV Dolphin (a fulltimer) that had only 6,000 miles on the clock and was getting 8 to 8.5 mpg pulling a new Chevy Impala. Would I like to have told him that he would get 3 mpg more? You bet. But, what do I say when that doesn't happen and he wants his money back. This gets me to this:

How many of you that are complaining about not a big enough increase in MPG from UltraPower or look at 1 to 3 mpg increase as a guarantee (which it isn't) go down to GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Honda, Kia, Hyundai and the rest of the automotive manufactures and complain about not getting the advertised mileage and what your money back? Let's level the playing field.

You could always go put a Banks system on and pay another $3,000 over the cost of UltraPower and not get any more MPG increase than UltraPower. Go figure your ROI on that!

Go to my web site and read the feedback section. I publish the comments as they are. I do not edit them for contend. But, my format them so they fit on the web site. I don't pick and choose good over bad. If there is bad one I try to fix the problem and will publish the results.