Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Unhappy Broke down!

MY 2005 aDVENTURER W/ WORKHORSE CHASSIS GM. 8400 8.1 V-8,Won't Start, Giving me error message on digital dash display Looks like "No J1050 Activity" Holiday Weekend no dealers open Any Idea's
lochmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by lochmunro View Post
MY 2005 Adventurer W/ WORKHORSE CHASSIS GM. 8400 8.1 V-8,Won't Start, Giving me error message on digital dash display Looks like "No J-1050 Activity" Holiday Weekend no dealers open Any Idea's
I'm so sorry. I checked all my reference materials and I can find anything like J1050. Are you sure it said J1050?

Call 877-946-7731 to see if someone can help you.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #3

I'm only suggesting this possible fix because it is easy to do, and can't hurt to try. Simply remove the ground (-) negative battery cable from the cranking battery for 1-2 minutes. Then reconnect and make sure it is tight. This "might" allow the ECM to clear the problem. Good luck. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I'm only suggesting this possible fix because it is easy to do, and can't hurt to try. Simply remove the ground (-) negative battery cable from the cranking battery for 1-2 minutes. Then reconnect and make sure it is tight. This "might" allow the ECM to clear the problem. Good luck. Ed
That's a good suggestion ED! KMFC (keeping my fingers crossed)
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:42 PM   #5

Dunno if this is true of newer coaches, but the older ones have a mechanism known as BTSI. Stands for Brake Transmission Shift Interlock.

Here's a short blurb on it:

This is a brief explanation of the BTSI. We find that this mechanism is sometimes responsible for problems that are thought to be some sort of AutoPark failure.

The BTSI mechanism has no relationship to the AutoPark system. However, in pretty rare circumstances, the AutoPark system can make it difficult to shift out of PARK - - thus the confusion.

The following information is lifted from the manual:

AUTO TRANS SHIFT LOCK CONTROL DESCRIPTION "The brake transmission shift interlock (BTSI) system prevents the automatic transmission from being shifted out of PARK unless the brake pedal is depressed. When the brake pedal is depressed, the BTSI solenoid releases a lock pawl. This enables the movement of the the shift linkage and the operation of the shift lever. When service operations are required, overriding the BTSI is possible. In order to overide the BTSI, turn the ignition switch to OFF (not LOCK), and remove the battery voltage from the solenoid."

It turns out that the solenoid which is mounted on the steering column, and part of the BTSI, is (as I understand it), powered whenever the shift lever is out of the PARK position. This is why the solenoid feels so hot much of the time I think.

We don't claim to know a lot about the BTSI - - just trying to keep problems with it separated from AutoPark problems.

oub

Old 09-05-2010, 03:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Our travel buddies had a breakdown with their 2001 Adventurer couple weeks ago with a problem like yours. The switch that failed on their RV was the located under the steering column as OldUsedBear described. He brought the old switch over show me along with a new backup in case he has another failure. I will add a new switch to carry along with us on our 2002 Adventurer. Hope you get yours going quickly. Good Luck Jerry Smith
kstateaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #7

Well danged if I didn't reply to the wrong post! this was sposed to be for a few posts earlier where the guy was having problems getting his shift lever out of PARK.

Maybe he'll read this and figger it out.

oub
Old 09-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
MY 2005 aDVENTURER W/ WORKHORSE CHASSIS GM. 8400 8.1 V-8,Won't Start, Giving me error message on digital dash display Looks like "No J1050 Activity" Holiday Weekend no dealers open Any Idea's
Check all your fuses under the dash and on the sidewall next to your left foot. I had a similar problem as I pulled into get service. One of the service guys came out and found a blown fuse. May have been a 5 amp. Replaced and started right up.
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I had a 2000 Adventurer that died while driving down the road and would not restart. I looked and found a blown fuse under the dash. The problem ended up being a shorted wire in the main wire loom where it was running to tight across the engine A/C mounting bracket. If you find a blown fuse and get it running again, open up the engine doghouse and jiggle some main wires to see if it will die again.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
lochmunro,
A little more information, please, just to be sure...
When you say it "won't start" ... what do you mean?
1. Does it turn over (crank) and fail to start up and run?
2. Does it NOT turn over at all? (completely dead starting circuit)
3. Does it "buzz" or make a loud click when you turn the ignition key? (solenoid failing to fully close, probably due to weak starting battery)
4. Do you have a "Boost" switch to momentarily tie coach and chassis batteries together to give you a stronger start?
Sorry if I am beating you over the head, but many RVers do not know the difference between crank, start and run.
You can bet your chances are very good you will have an answer to your problem on this post LONG before the repair shops reopen.
Best of luck to you,
Jim
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
lochmunro,
A couple of suggestions before I retire for the evening...
Assuming that you are not getting any CRANKING from the starter;
While you are turning the ignition key to the START position and HOLDING it there...
Bump around in the fuse panel under the dash... jiggle wires, tap reasonably firmly on relays and fuses.
If you get any results, check the particular relay, fuse or connection that caused a reaction. Many relays are interchangeable. Look at the numbers, find a match and make ONE substitution at a time to avoid confusion. Do not "rob" a relay from any safety related circuits or from any other circuit which affects the engine, drive train, brakes, etc.
On one of my vehicles, I was able to complete my trip by substituting the A/C relay for the faulty ECM relay that had shut me down cold. Thank goodness it was during the winter.
Also, Do you have a REMOTE START in the engine bay?... If so, have you tried it to see if it will start your engine? (Use caution around moving engine parts.)
Again, best of luck. We're here for you!
Jim
Old 09-06-2010, 06:57 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to all,
Tried the battery disconnect to no avail,pulled dash cover, found three relays, tapped on them, nice try but. Already checked fuses by my left foot, under hood & in step well. still workin on it,
Do for a tow from Coach Net this afternoon
By the way CN has been really great!
lochmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:23 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The only display close to J1050 is the data buss code J1850 saying no activity.
New ECM maybe.
I had a problem starting my WH this spring. If you look in the battery buss panel right side of fire wall the solenoid on left side has a 5 amp fuse on left battery cable lug of solenoid.
The fuse is in a holder attached to lug nut its hard to see and the spade clip to one of the spades of fuse popped out of holder. Took a long needle nose pliers to reinsert the spaded clip back in holder and forcing fuse spade into it.
Believe it had a green wire attached to spade clip.
The solenoid is just below the BIRD control.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
lochmunro,
Sorry none of the "home grown" remedies worked for you... you can now go to the shop knowing you gave it the old college try.
'Hope that the shop is able to get you on the road quickly and without too much $. Please give us an update on what is ultimately found to have been the problem... it adds to the base of knowledge for the good of the order.
Best Wishes/Safe Travels,
Jim
P.S. ...One more thing (there always is)... If you have a large wad of keys or other do-dads dangling on your ignition key, it can eventually wear the lock cylinder and cause intermittent contact in the ignition switch.
My wife was a circuit-riding school nurse supervisor and insisted on carring ALL of the keys to the various schools on her ignition key ring... at first, the wipers would stall, then the radio would cut out, etc... ultimately the car would stumble. I could never get it to "act up" with me (using my single key to her car)... When I took her car key off the big bunch... the problem went away. Sometimes it's the little things.