Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Broken rear leaf spring

Had to cancel a trip this week because on our first fill up I found the coach leaning to the side and the lower spring on the right rear of our 2003 W22 was broken. Limped home carefully and now I've got to get it fixed. I have a couple of options around Allentown, PA. There is a good spring shop called Stengel Bros, and also Tom Schaefer's RV is/was a Workhorse repair center.

My questions for the group include: Should I just get a new spring replaced, or replace the whole side since the good spring was overloaded? Or, in order to keep it balanced, do I need to have both sides replaced? Are there any disadvantages to not having an exact Workhorse replacement?

As far as shocks go, would the lack of a spring hurt the shocks? I think I have the original Bilstein shocks on the coach with 51K miles on it now. I bought it 4 years ago, so I'm guessing that the shocks are original.

I'm just looking for suggestions since I obviously don't want to waste money, but I do want the Bounder to be safe. Thanks in advance for the comments.

Glenn
2003 Bounder 35R
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Go with the spring shop, they will know what to do to keep the mh level, because fixing one side and doing nothing to the other is going to make the mh lopsided.

I would have new shocks installed at the same time, they have everything apart so now is the time to replace them and if you have airbags they may need to be replaced so have them checked also.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd go with the advice of the spring shop. Years ago I had a weak spring on a pickup truck. The shop recommended replacing both sides to prevent leaning.

Don't know what to say about the shocks.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:18 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Glenn, Take it to the spring shop and get their opinion of what you should do as far as a heavier spring on that side. Have them check the other side to make sure there's no cracks. I replaced one spring at a time so you should be good to go with just the one. As far as shocks...could have bent one but the spring shop should be able to check them for you. Unless you have a lot of miles on them (shocks), may be time to replace?? Best of luck.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It looks like I will replace both springs next week and take a look at the shocks when they are off. I was quoted $525 in parts for each side. I have no idea whether that is a good price or not, but my choices are limited. I will probably delay the shocks unless absolutely necessary due to the cost. I'll update when I have more info.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:15 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just following up with my broken rear leaf spring problem. Today I took the Bounder into Stengel Bros in Allentown, PA and had both sides replaced. The springs were $517 each, and then of course labor was quite a bit also. They said the shocks still were good so I'm delaying those for awhile. It rode quite nice on the way home. The grandkids in the back on the bed seemed to like it.

Thanks again for the replies...this is a great forum.

Glenn
Old 08-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Glad to help. Enjoy your adventures ad be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote