Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Burnt Plug Wires.

We made it to Mesa AZ, at View Point Resort and on the way we burnt the plug the stock plug wires. Anyone know of a place to pick up a Taylor wire set around here? Any help would be great.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainkowboy View Post
Any help would be great.
Call Redlands Truck Service in Redlands, CA. I bet they can have a set out to you inside a couple of days OR overnight depending on how much in a hurry you are.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:19 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We're here till Monday.....was hoping for some place local.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
We're here till Monday.....was hoping for some place local.
You might call them anyway. Tell them you're an iRV2 member and you know Redlands is a sponsor. Tell them you're looking for Taylor's and would they have a recommendation in your area. It couldn't hurt, just try it!
Old 01-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
I know you're looking for "local", but you might consider a nice 2 hr drive east to Quartzsite, Az where you will find the Brazel boys here at the big RV show.
Not only can you get the Taylor wires, but you can also check out the UltraPower performance upgrade for the engine. UP has been noted to help eliminate the burnt wire problem. The 9 day show starts Sat Jan 16 and runs for 9 days.

If you haven't been to Q-site, you've been missing a heck of a big show. Lots to see here.

Good Luck,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
I know you're looking for "local", but you might consider a nice 2 hr drive east to Quartzsite, AZ where you will find the Brazel boys here at the big RV show.
Bill, There you go! Same day service and YES Mike will have Taylors out at Quartzsite with him.

Like I suggested calling RTS would have probably have gotten him that information as well but you got it out there! Good job!
Old 01-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Will be going by QS on the way back home, but dont want to run the moho in its present condition. I found a local shop that is close. They don have the wires in stock, but I can get a set to make it back home with and then I will go to Redlands and get a set cause I need to have my front wheel bearings adjusted by them.

We are not gunna do QS this year, maybe next year. Have a family thing goin on here this year. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Will be going by QS on the way back home, but dont want to run the moho in its present condition. I found a local shop that is close. They don have the wires in stock, but I can get a set to make it back home with and then I will go to Redlands and get a set cause I need to have my front wheel bearings adjusted by them.

We are not gunna do QS this year, maybe next year. Have a family thing goin on here this year. Thanks for the help.
Can't you just cut back the affected wire some for now. I had a coach whereas I cut it back about 3 times and never did change out the whole set, as it was still running great the day it left here. I also carry a few used ones from the garbage to get me out of trouble just in case I can't do repairs in the middle of Death Valley.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Most of the OE wires burn inside the spark plug boot. I have not found a way to remove the wire from the boot without destroying the wire. Eve if you could how do you remove the crimped on connector, repair the wire, replace the connector to factory and replace it the boot. Not worth the effort.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #10

if you need 1 email lofin2@gmail.com
Lofin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
Most of the OE wires burn inside the spark plug boot. I have not found a way to remove the wire from the boot without destroying the wire. Eve if you could how do you remove the crimped on connector, repair the wire, replace the connector to factory and replace it the boot. Not worth the effort.
Like I said, I've done it more than once and if I remember correctly, I pushed the wire on through the porcelain boot, uncrimped the connector to pull it off, then cut back the wire and stripped a piece of bare conductor for reattaching the connector. Then just slid everything forward like it was. The last time I had to do this for that coach was in a South Carolina campground and it stayed good until I sold it.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Like I said, I've done it more than once and if I remember correctly, I pushed the wire on through the porcelain boot, uncrimped the connector to pull it off, then cut back the wire and stripped a piece of bare conductor for reattaching the connector.
tropical36, We do not see porcelain boots on 8.1L spark plug wires ... ?? Am I missing something here?
Old 01-16-2010, 11:03 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Like I said, I've done it more than once and if I remember correctly, I pushed the wire on through the porcelain boot, uncrimped the connector to pull it off, then cut back the wire and stripped a piece of bare conductor for reattaching the connector. Then just slid everything forward like it was. The last time I had to do this for that coach was in a South Carolina campground and it stayed good until I sold it.
Here is a side by side OEM and Taylor wires... No Porcelain boots Also, I don't see how you could trim and reattach the end and make if fit.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
tropical36, We do not see porcelain boots on 8.1L spark plug wires ... ?? Am I missing something here?
My bad here, I guess. I had no idea what the OP was working with. I'm not even sure what brand of after market wires I had to tell the truth. I also have a 7.4 rather than an 8.1, but that shouldn't make much difference in what wiring might be available for replacement.