Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cab Heater Problem

On this last trip my heater will only blow out the defrosters. This is almost useless for keeping people warm in the cab area.
I know I've read that there is some kind of vacuum control. Is this under the hood or under the dash? Do these things go bad? Is it more likely a hose came off. Is this a WH part or can it be replaced with a Napa type part? Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I should look first? If I can't get it fixed right, right away, is there a way for me to manually put it where it would blow out the dash vents instead of the defrosters? This is where I always use it, whether for AC or for heat.
I'm hoping I don't have to remove the entire dash to get to this.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2010, 03:27 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
On this last trip my heater will only blow out the defrosters. This is almost useless for keeping people warm in the cab area.
I know I've read that there is some kind of vacuum control. Is this under the hood or under the dash? Do these things go bad? Is it more likely a hose came off. Is this a WH part or can it be replaced with a Napa type part? Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I should look first? If I can't get it fixed right, right away, is there a way for me to manually put it where it would blow out the dash vents instead of the defrosters? This is where I always use it, whether for AC or for heat.
I'm hoping I don't have to remove the entire dash to get to this.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
the problem is probably a vacuum leak because when the vacuum is gone the system defaults to defrosters. the leak could be under the dash or under the front hood. my dash folds up for easy access. the small rubber connectors sometimes fall off or break. if you cannot see a bad connector or line, i have sprayed w40 or similar on vacuum lines to detect leaks.
you can turn the dash control off (it takes some vacuum to do that) and use the propane furnace while under way until you find and fix the problem.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:27 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would check under the hood first. Look for colored tubes that can look like wires, RV manufactures went to this type and they do not hold up to the temperatures in the engine compartments. You should be able to find a vacuum pot usually round mounted to the fire wall. I also had critters chew through the vacuum line which runs from the pot to the engine. It took me some time to find the vacuum line and I had to remove the dog house to get at it.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:39 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max 49, I have also a Intruder,as you may remenber and I also lost heater control. Found the hose at the Vacumn bottle had come off. Open hood and on your left side up, you will find the vacumn bottle. good luck!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:43 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks guys, maybe it won't be a tough problem. However I took it to an auto/truck repair shop today. It's nice not to have them tell me they have an opening in June or something like that. They have worked on my other MH and they aren't cheap but I never had any more problems with what they fixed.
I'm hoping they are going to do the P-32 ignition switch mod for me too. I have an extended warranty that I've never used before so I'm hoping they pay for some of the total bill.
The lighting problem could be tough to find.
Denver, Colorado
Old 03-29-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
The lighting problem could be tough to find.
Max, I had absolutely no problem in finding my lightning problem!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #7

I had the same problem with my 2004 Damon. Called the AC supplier for Damon who told me to look under the hood, and look for a softball size black plastic canister bolted to the top of the engine compartment. I found that the vacuum hose had disconnected, thus no vacuum to change the position of the dampers that control the direction of air flow.
Stuck it back on and all is well.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all the suggestions. It was the vacuum lines under the dash by the fan motor.
Denver, Colorado