Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2006, 05:55 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
What's wrong with this picture?

If you say nothing... then ask yourself how would you remove the overflow tank if had a leak? Yep, the A/C box is in the way. This what BAD42 and Oemy faced when we were installing his CAI from Brazels in his new 07 Gulfstream W24. You probably thinking why not just install it from the backside from under the rig? Well the opening is about 11" and the front of the S&B box is 12".

So, we decided to cut the overflow tank out and move the bracket. But, first we figured we better get a replacement overflow tank. I pulled the one of my Mountain Aire to get the GM part number. We called the Workhorse dealer and they would have to order it. The cost was $11 and $60 for overnight shipping. Next we called a local parts house and he would have it there by noon the next day for $13. So we called a few GM dealers just to see if they may stock one, no luck.

So we cut the old overflow tank out and were already to move the bracket by removing to bolts (like my Mountain Aire). But, we presented with the next problem. The bracket was WELDED in 4 places. We used a Dremel tool to cut the 2 short welds and a large drill bit to cut the welds used to fill the mounting holes. Once we got the bracket out we were able to get CAI installed behind the front headlight. We relocated the bracket and used to self-tapping screws to mount it.

We are now able to install the overflow tank.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2006, 05:55 PM   #2

What's wrong with this picture?

If you say nothing... then ask yourself how would you remove the overflow tank if had a leak? Yep, the A/C box is in the way. This what BAD42 and Oemy faced when we were installing his CAI from Brazels in his new 07 Gulfstream W24. You probably thinking why not just install it from the backside from under the rig? Well the opening is about 11" and the front of the S&B box is 12".

So, we decided to cut the overflow tank out and move the bracket. But, first we figured we better get a replacement overflow tank. I pulled the one of my Mountain Aire to get the GM part number. We called the Workhorse dealer and they would have to order it. The cost was $11 and $60 for overnight shipping. Next we called a local parts house and he would have it there by noon the next day for $13. So we called a few GM dealers just to see if they may stock one, no luck.

So we cut the old overflow tank out and were already to move the bracket by removing to bolts (like my Mountain Aire). But, we presented with the next problem. The bracket was WELDED in 4 places. We used a Dremel tool to cut the 2 short welds and a large drill bit to cut the welds used to fill the mounting holes. Once we got the bracket out we were able to get CAI installed behind the front headlight. We relocated the bracket and used to self-tapping screws to mount it.

We are now able to install the overflow tank.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:56 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What Dale didn't mention was that in addition to moving the CAI from my 05 Dolphin, we (actualy he did most of the work with a little assistance from me). We did the rear track bar and steer safe at the same time.
I had the dealer move the Koni Vanhool rear shocks from the Dolphin to the new rig when I purchased it.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3406

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3407

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3408

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3409
Old 11-16-2006, 09:02 AM   #4
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Bill,
Those 90 series Koni's looks awesome!! I really like the UltraTrac sticker you installed on them.How do you like those big Koni's?? DO they handle great or what.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:51 AM   #5

Mondo Koni Vahool's

Heavy Duty Rear Trac Bar

The only problem with this style trac bar is... adjustability. With only 1 end having any adjustment you have to remove it to change anything. With double heim joint you just loosen the jam nuts and turn the bar.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:01 AM   #6

Mike,

The awesome photos, complete Remove and Reinstall of the Rear Trac Bar, Steer Safe, Taylor Extreme Plug wires, and Brazels CAI (along with radiator overflow tank modification's) were done by:

Oemy's DIY Engineering
Old 11-16-2006, 10:23 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brazels RV Performance:
Bill,
Those 90 series Koni's looks awesome!! I really like the UltraTrac sticker you installed on them.How do you like those big Koni's?? DO they handle great or what. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,
The 90 series Koni's are great. Especially on the new Gulfstream which is very tail heavy because of the location of the gas tank, generator, washer/dryer, king size bed, holding tanks (all behind the rear axle).
I'm glad you told me about them at the rally in Tennessee.

The Dolphin & now the Gulfstream ride like the big dogs
Old 11-16-2006, 10:25 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
"OEMY'S DIY ENGINEERING"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:53 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">With double heim joint you just loosen the jam nuts and turn the bar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dale, why couldn't the bar have been straight and then use double joints?

Old 11-16-2006, 11:08 AM   #10
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Dale,

I get it! THe only problem we have found with the Heim joint is premature wear.As far as only one end adjustable...How many times are you going to adjust it,you should only adjust it when it's installed.That ULTRATRAC bar sure looks good don't it!
Old 11-16-2006, 11:56 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brazels RV
As far as only one end adjustable...How many times are you going to adjust it,you should only adjust it when it's installed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's right! No batteries required.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:04 PM   #12

Hey Mike,

What is the difference between the Koni FSD and those big Koni 90 series???
Old 11-16-2006, 01:39 PM   #13

During install I had to have the frame bracket loose to get bolt in the proper position. It was only off by fraction.

This bar could have been made much smaller and not had any bends in it. They could have used a straight bar but I bet this fits 90% of the frames with over the axle exhaust pipes.

As far a heim joint wear I have only replace one in all my years of wrenching. That was on a 1/2 mile dirt track car that was hit and flipped end for end about 3 times. Didn't even bend the bar but torn out the joint.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:50 PM   #14
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Dale,

A Motorhome ain't no dirt track car! We have replaced ton's of heim joint's on the front of BF Goodrich torsalastic suspensions that are found on Safari coaches.Yes that bar is made to go around some things that are not on all coach configuration's......Cocheeese