Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2014, 06:50 AM   #1

Can't find a installer for tires.

I'm in Ohio and in a couple weeks I have to go to Evansville In and pickup my dads RV but first I have to replace the tires, The best prices are online even with shipping costs but I can't find anybody that will mount and balance them in Evansville, keep getting the same answer, We don't mount tires that you bought somewhere else.

Simple Tire online was one I was going thru and the listed Pep Boys as a installer but when I called them to arrange delivery they said they don't have the equipment to mount 225/70/19.5 tires.

Anybody know of someone in the general area that will do it ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 06:56 AM   #2

I've always get the best price online and use that price as a starting point for negotiations with a local dealer.
jrgreenacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:16 AM   #3

Also check with ford truck dealers in the area they are very competitive on tires
Old 03-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #4

If you haven't bought the tires yet, check your local Costco or Sams club, they have beat just about every deal I have ever heard of.

Get you tires installed at a local semi-truck service/tire/stop center. If your skins are in good condition, tell tell the you will "give" them your skins in exchange for free mounting and balancing. That is what I do and haven't paid for mounting or balancing in over 17 years. Those skins (if showing decent tread life) are worth about 50-100 a piece so don't just give them away.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:56 AM   #5

Join FMCA. Thru the Michelin Advantage Plan, those tires will be about $350 each. You will pay the Michelin dealer for installation only. Please see the plan and procedures:

http://www.fmca.com/images/stories/p...lin-prices.pdf

Then you can get them installed and have about 8 years of the use of fine tires.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #6

Unfortunately the old tires are at least 15 years old and are dry rotted so their not worth anything, did find three dealers that are willing to unmount the old ones, mount seven new tires and balance just the steer tires, according to them you don't have to balance the others, the cost $570 from dealer one, dealer 2 wants $460 and the third $370.

I'm going to try some local truck stops and see what they would do it for.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:29 AM   #7

Pay the few extra bucks and balance all of them so you can rotate with no worries
Old 03-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget228 View Post
Unfortunately the old tires are at least 15 years old and are dry rotted so their not worth anything, did find three dealers that are willing to unmount the old ones, mount seven new tires and balance just the steer tires, according to them you don't have to balance the others, the cost $570 from dealer one, dealer 2 wants $460 and the third $370. I'm going to try some local truck stops and see what they would do it for.
That's outrageous, on the west coast the local truck stops will install and balance for $15 - $20 per tire, disposal might add a couple of dollars.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:10 AM   #9

I had six cooper tires mounted and balanced for 1150.00$ same size. I get about 110k out of virgin Cooper tires on a f550 running at 15k lbs. Then regrove them.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
That's outrageous, on the west coast the local truck stops will install and balance for $15 - $20 per tire, disposal might add a couple of dollars.
In the Midwest I paid $75/tire for removal, installation, balancing and disposal.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best One Fleet Service?

I dunno...just googled it. You want a fleet services company that can mount and balance truck tires - a car tire store is not gonna have equipment to do that size tire.

$35-$45 per wheel for mount and bal is reasonable. Anything more is just a ripoff.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:29 AM   #12

Took your advice and started checking truck stops, found one that is a national chain called the Boss Shop and they want $36.00 per tire for mounting but the person I talked to wasn't sure if that included balancing, if it does I will have all of them balanced. Mounting seven will run around $252 and that's a price I can live with.

Tags
install, tires