Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2007, 04:49 AM   #15

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HuskyJack:
Flytyer, Do you information on the fitting you need to make the adapter?..
I don't think anyone has had any luck in finding a fitting other then from Orme Bros in Reseda, CA.. They are a couple blocks from me so let me know if you need me to get you one.. They run about $10..
Jack </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I need one !! Please PM me with info about $$, etc.

What is the P/N and who is the mfr?

I found an adapter that fits, but there is no "O" ring. The end is bullet shaped. The adapter is for air or compressed gas and I am unsure how well it fits at the base.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2007, 05:49 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Could someone please, if it's possible, boil all this fuel filter information down and present it in an organized manner. I've been trying to follow this in hopes to do what most here seem to be doing in regards to which filters to use, chassis/year, adapters, Napa Golds vs. the WH $60 one, etc. I'm getting totally lost and don't think I'm going to make it through "Fuel Filters 101." Thanks.

Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:12 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This changing fuel filter is very easy, though to the directions I would add to release the pressure of the fuel lines by un-screwing the gas cap. Even a "Thud driver" could do this,with the help from the co pilot!!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:00 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fresh Air, It all boils down to a change that Workhorse made on the 2004 models. On models 2003 and back, the fuel return line ran from the fuel rail on the engine back to the fuel tank. This model used a simple fuel filter that was used and most GM products and is available from all auto parts stores and cost about $10.

For 2004 and newer, the fuel return line runs from the fuel filter back to the fuel tank, I guess it is being more efficient but now they use a fuel filter that has an "T" on it for the new return line. The 2003 and 2004 filters appear to be the same make up only the 2004 has the extra fitting on it for the return line.
Now the new filter is only available from Workhorse for a large sum of money.

I came up with a way to remove the "T" from a old filter and welded a fitting on it so it will allow using the old $10 filter. Some on this board have also made the adapter and have been happy with it.

According to Driver this may void your warranty but I made the change anyway.. I now have over 35,000 on my filter mod, no problems at all and now I change fuel filters twice a year for $10 each and don't have to go through the problems of Workhorse being out of stock and pay at least $ 60 or more for it.

Jack
Old 09-14-2007, 08:01 AM   #19

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FreshAir:
Could someone please, if it's possible, boil all this fuel filter information down and present it in an organized manner. I've been trying to follow this in hopes to do what most here seem to be doing in regards to which filters to use, chassis/year, adapters, Napa Golds vs. the WH $60 one, etc. I'm getting totally lost and don't think I'm going to make it through "Fuel Filters 101." Thanks.

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The filters I believe that have been listed are:

NAPA Gold #3481
Fram #G3727
Purolator #F33144

Take a look at this thread written by OEMTECH (Dale) it provides about all the info you need. Click HERE
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:03 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
FreshAir, Here you go.

You can get OEM style for as low as $2.50 HERE

PRE 2004 - Cost about $10

2004 and UP - Cost $50 to $60

Installed View
Old 09-14-2007, 12:23 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
OK, the lights comming on. Are the three filters Flytyer list, Napa, Fram, Purolator, direct replacements for the OEM and come with a T fitting adapter and replaces the WH $60 one? If so, what's price range on these?

If I use the $10 filter, pre 2003, then I need to rig up one of those T gizzies or did you guys find an outlet for them?

Thanks FLYTYER ,Dale and all for the filter corse. The pics are great. I'd seen them before but paid little attention then. I really like the idea of being able to use the $10 buck one as I intend to change often.

Had a horrific experience with bad gass this spring. Put my boat, trolling motor and two Honda gens. down completely and I had to go through the carbs on all of them. I haven't yet figured out how to get all that crap out of the boat tank. Oh well, just happy it was not the MH.
FMCA 212171
Old 09-14-2007, 02:16 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
FreshAir, to use the low cost filter you have to get the 16mm O ring fitting and have it welded to the extension from your old filter.. Not a big deal.

I just picked up a fitting for Flytyer, it cost $10.65 plus whatever US mail to him will be.

Jack
Old 09-14-2007, 03:46 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HuskyJack:
FreshAir, to use the low cost filter you have to get the 16mm O ring fitting and have it welded to the extension from your old filter.. Not a big deal.

I just picked up a fitting for Flytyer, it cost $10.65 plus whatever US mail to him will be.
-------------------------------------------------

Jack, are you saying the fitting includes the O-ring for $10.65 +? Do you know if the Napa Gold is the exact replacement for the orig. WH $60 dollar one and if it is, what is it's cost? Thinking the fitting might be the way to go. Thanks.

Pat

Jack </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
FMCA 212171
Old 09-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
FreshAir,

Being as you have an 05 you have 2 options.

1) Use the $60 WCC filter. Nobody else produces this style filter.

2) Build and adapter from a used WCC filter and then use the old style GF481 filter.

Be aware that under WCC guidelines you will void your warranty if you modify the fuel system in any way.... That's assuming you have the 100,000 mile power train warranty.

Me I had 3 yr or 36k... so I made my own and change filters every year.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:49 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
FreshAir, Napa gold IS NOT a replacement for the Workhorse $60 filter. No one has the filter for your Workhorse except for the Workhorse shops and most of the time they don't have them in stock. I'd hate to rely on Workhorse for a filter if I was stuck on the road with bad gas.

Jack
Old 09-14-2007, 05:56 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
No one has the filter for your Workhorse except for the Workhorse shops and most of the time they don't have them in stock. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>If you know who to call you can get a filter over nighted if it ever came to that. We have excellent resources on iRV2.com that can deliver on that promise.

Our sponsor Workhorse Service Centers come through for our members and Workhorse owners in general without fail.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:38 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
--------------------------------------------------------------
No one has the filter for your Workhorse except for the Workhorse shops and most of the time they don't have them in stock.
--------------------------------------------------------------
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>If you know who to call you can get a filter over nighted if it ever came to that. We have excellent resources on iRV2.com that can deliver on that promise.

Our sponsor Workhorse Service Centers come through for our members and Workhorse owners in general without fail. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok DriVer, I'll buy that. But, let's just say it's late Saturday afternoon and your in Salome AZ, 45 miles East of Quarzsite and your from MI in strange territory and you find out you need a fuel filter, $60 dollar one, your in limp mode. How would YOU handle it? Who would YOU call? I wouldn't have a clue.

I think I'm going to get me a spare filter cuz I just scared the B-jeez out of myself just asking you this question. There's bad gas everywhere now days, doncha know. Just ask my DW.

Thanks.
Pat
FMCA 212171
Old 09-14-2007, 06:50 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FreshAir:
I think I'm going to get me a spare filter ... There's bad gas everywhere now days, doncha know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Pat, Your proactive stance is commendable. You're the captain of your ship and like you I would have a limited amount of critical spares in the event a failure leaves us out in the middle of no where.

If you have access to this board you'll always have access to resources that can help you get a fuel filter.

An air card and cell phone would assure help is never that distant!

My follow-up to you is, why would you not ever get stuck on a Monday morning at 10:00am in the middle of a business day!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote