Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2007, 09:15 AM   #1

Finally did it in the drive while doing oil and lube regular service. It was easy, maybe because I thought it might be tough. Not much fuel leaked out when the lines were loosened, but I spilled most of it out of the filter when dislodgeing it from the lines, still caught most with a rag. Have 40,000 miles on the MH, we put on the last 22,000 on in the last 3 years after buying used. The old filter had the AC # 481 and was hard to blow thru, so may have done it just in time. Got the new filter at NAPA, its a Gold 1481 $13.51. Richard
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2007, 09:15 AM   #2

Finally did it in the drive while doing oil and lube regular service. It was easy, maybe because I thought it might be tough. Not much fuel leaked out when the lines were loosened, but I spilled most of it out of the filter when dislodgeing it from the lines, still caught most with a rag. Have 40,000 miles on the MH, we put on the last 22,000 on in the last 3 years after buying used. The old filter had the AC # 481 and was hard to blow thru, so may have done it just in time. Got the new filter at NAPA, its a Gold 1481 $13.51. Richard
Old 09-12-2007, 11:08 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">NAPA, its a Gold 1481 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My replacement from NAPA is a NAPA Gold 3481.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #4

Sorry, it is 3481. Richard
Old 09-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #5

Sounds like the change-out is something even I could do. Any special tools?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thudman:
Sounds like the change-out is something even I could do. Any special tools? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Not a screw driver!

It's real easy .... simple in and out - Git'er'done!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:32 PM   #7

is this filter different than the one I bought from Workhorse for $60?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
is this filter different than the one I bought from Workhorse for $60? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes it is. Your fuel system is better. Unfortunately the improved technology has obsolesced the conventional filter.

The early fuel systems would send fuel all the way to the rail and it would return from the engine mounted fuel rail.

Current fuel systems pressurize the fuel rail and the return flow critical in cooling the fuel pump is returned to the tank from the fuel filter rather than from all the way up front at the engine.

Same process different technology. I also know that returning the fuel to the tank sooner reduces fuel vapors which improved the efficiency of the emission system. This more than anything is the catalyst that generated the change.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #9

Thanks for the reply DriVer. I had thought that my year model filter was different but my heart rate increased when I read all these people getting these things at NAPA!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #10

Thudman, 13/16", 5/8" open end wrenches(or cresents), and a 1/2" socket(to remove clamp holding filter) is all that is needed besides a rag to catch small amount of fuel. Richard PS Mine is located behind the drivers duels inside the frame.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by texans:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> Thanks for the helpful information.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:07 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">is this filter different than the one I bought from Workhorse for $60? Eek </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, its not attached to to the adapter

Mike,

You forgot about saving a few $$ on the return line and $$ in fuel filter sales as it is only game in town.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:35 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just changed my filter for the first time at 16720 miles. It took about 15 minutes...an easy job!

I cut the end off to see the condition of the filter. Blah! It was dark and I could see small dirt particles in the paper. No wonder it should be changed every 12000 miles. Maybe I will carry an extra after I make the filter "Mod."
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:25 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Flytyer, Do you information on the fitting you need to make the adapter?..
I don't think anyone has had any luck in finding a fitting other then from Orme Bros in Reseda, CA.. They are a couple blocks from me so let me know if you need me to get you one.. They run about $10..
Jack