Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Gilbert View Post
If TranSynd is as good as they say (and I believe it is) than why not just get-r-done.
Joe, You betcha! Why wait. Some folks will have gone to the cleaners to get 1 change done so they need to recover.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2009, 01:43 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I drained 13.5 qts from my 5 sp ally.
i let it sit for over 3 weeks before draining the fluid.
i found somewhere in the allison tech info that the tranny actually holds 14.1 qts when new.
i got about a 95% fluid change.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #17

driver, i also changed to tyrans but i called 3 different allison dealers and all 3 told me that if i was out of warranty that there is no need to change a second time since both fluids are completly compatable and that small amount of dex means nothing.
now he said if you are still under warranty and looking to have your warranty extened by allison than you have to do the 2 changes within the time period that they say.
i am out of warranty since i have a 2004 and they all said its a waste of money than to do the 2nd change so soon.
any comment?

triple slide
joelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:37 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
joelyn.... It's a waste of money and time. Remember, you will never hit the 150,000 miles before the 5 year time frame.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #19

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
joelyn.... It's a waste of money and time. Remember, you will never hit the 150,000 miles before the 5 year time frame.

thanks omey, thats exactly what i was told, just wondering if there were any other thoughts out there. thanks also for those w/h fuel filters you sent me here in vegas a few months back. if we get to come your way soon i will be looking you up for the 8.1 upgrade.

triple slide
joelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:13 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
I drained 13.5 qts from my 5 sp ally.
i let it sit for over 3 weeks before draining the fluid.
i found somewhere in the allison tech info that the tranny actually holds 14.1 qts when new.
i got about a 95% fluid change.
i guess i forgot that almost all my signature info got caught somewhere in space during the change over.
i am using AMSOIL tes295 transmission fluid.
check out amsoil's warranty before using transyd.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
Old 03-18-2009, 07:14 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The issue with draining the old fluid is that you cannot get all of the old fluid out regardless of how long you let it drain. According to Allison they test every transmission with TranSynd, drain the fluid, and ship the transmission. The issue is that the torque converter remains full of Transynd. In the past, to save money, most of the motorhome mfg's filled the new transmissions with Dexron. So! Allison set their policy of 2 changes for this reason. It is the only way to reduce the amount of Dexron to an acceptable level.

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree, I did both changes in one week-end. But I used Amsoil.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Gilbert View Post
The issue with draining the old fluid is that you cannot get all of the old fluid out regardless of how long you let it drain. According to Allison they test every transmission with TranSynd, drain the fluid, and ship the transmission. The issue is that the torque converter remains full of Transynd. In the past, to save money, most of the motorhome mfg's filled the new transmissions with Dexron. So! Allison set their policy of 2 changes for this reason. It is the only way to reduce the amount of Dexron to an acceptable level.
i think by letting the moho sit unused for over 3 weeks, the torque converter did drain, at least most of it. i drained 13.5 qts. fluid. it holds 14.1 qts.
i used amsoil tes295 fluid partly because of amsoil's guarantee.
someone recently stated on the old forum that a shop changed all of their fluid by taking the transmission cooler line off and running the engine until new fluid came out.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The economy has pretty much shut down road construction so I started working for C DOT. (Colorado Dept.of Transportation) To my surprise all the big trucks that plow snow, tandem and single axle, in the Denver area have Allison automatics. I'm gonna try to find out if they use Transynd, but I'd bet they don't.
They told me all of the mountain region trucks have 13 speed, manual transmissions. They said the automatics can barely go 10 to 15 mph plowing uphill on all of the high passes.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:56 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Happy you could find a new job in this economy Max. I am retired, but know its rough out there in this job market.

On a lighter note---maybe you could get a deal on one of those 13 speed manual trans from the state. Might be just the ticket for your P-32 Damon. I know you are an old motorcycle rider, so shifting would be no problem. I bet you could really level those high Colorado mountain passes out if you trashed that GM 4 speed, and installed the 13 speed manual. LOL.

Dieselclacker
Old 03-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
someone recently stated on the old forum that a shop changed all of their fluid by taking the transmission cooler line off and running the engine until new fluid came out.
I want to put this rumor to rest. In no circumstance should your Allison transmission be operated unless the fluid can be read on the dipstick. That's it!

Do not even consider running your transmission in order to drain any remnant fluid in the torque converter because in just the amount of time that it takes for your engine to crank over and start, this will damage your Allison transmission to the point where it may require a complete overhaul.

This was shared with us by Paul DeWitt from Allison Automatic Transmissions. He is the account rep for Workhorse.

So please don't consider doing this ..... the transmission you save - may be your own.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:20 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I want to put this rumor to rest. In no circumstance should your Allison transmission be operated unless the fluid can be read on the dipstick. That's it!

Do not even consider running your transmission in order to drain any remnant fluid in the torque converter because in just the amount of time that it takes for your engine to crank over and start, this will damage your Allison transmission to the point where it may require a complete overhaul.

This was shared with us by Paul DeWitt from Allison Automatic Transmissions. He is the account rep for Workhorse.

So please don't consider doing this ..... the transmission you save - may be your own.
driver:
it is not a rumor.
do a search on the old forum and you should find that this procedure was accomplished at a workhorse facility. i do not advocate this procedure.:(
Old 03-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
driver:
it is not a rumor. do a search on the old forum and you should find that this procedure was accomplished at a workhorse facility.
I can not verify that the procedure described was stated in the first person by the center itself. I am going to assume that the information is at best from a 2nd party to the event, unless this occurred to you personally and you witnessed the procedure. I just can't figure why a center would even attempt to try this and jeopardize their franchise. I'm sure the powers that be at Workhorse wouldn't subscribe to this practice.
Quote:
i do not advocate this procedure.:(
I'm with you!