Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2005, 09:13 AM   #1

I'm new to the allison tran. and I have heard that I need to change to a syn. fluid. Just how do I go about changing the fluid out of the tran.? When I change the filter, do I just remove the drain plug and let it drain or what? I realize that I will have to do this more than one time to completely change the fluid out, do I need to change the filter every time I change the pan fluid? I have the 1000 model tran. Any help will surely be appreciated. thanks
G. SEEFIELD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2005, 09:13 AM   #2

I'm new to the allison tran. and I have heard that I need to change to a syn. fluid. Just how do I go about changing the fluid out of the tran.? When I change the filter, do I just remove the drain plug and let it drain or what? I realize that I will have to do this more than one time to completely change the fluid out, do I need to change the filter every time I change the pan fluid? I have the 1000 model tran. Any help will surely be appreciated. thanks
G. SEEFIELD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:31 AM   #3

GAYLE :: First let me welcome a fellow LA. resident to iRV2.com Hope to meet you one day. In regards to the tranny questions : Allison requires you to change the external spin on filter at 5,000 miles. You are not required to change out the fluid, at that time. However, the sooner you switch to 100% Synthetic fluid the happier your tranny will be. Allison has approved several fluids now, but the original one everybody talks about is TranSynd made for Allison by Castrol (probably across the river from you ). It cost me $30.40 per gallon about a month ago at the local Allison Distb. You will need to buy 5 gallons if you wish to do the switch now. Drain the pan by removing the plug. Approx. 2+ gallons will come pouring out so use a bucket. Spin on a new filter (about $7-8.00 at Allison) Add back the same amount that drained . out. Drive 3-5 miles to warm up and mix the new fluid with the OEM left in at 1st drain. Drain the pan again and refill with more TranSynd, and you are done. Be sure to recheck fluid level when HOT, and adjust as necessary. DO NOT allow it to be overfilled!!Also, the is a washer looking MAGNET laying on top of the filter when you take it down. Clean it off and PUT IT BACK on top of the new filter before installing. You do not need to change the filter twice, just the fluid. Pouring 4+ gallons of very expensive fluid down the Tranny DIPSTICK tube is a real PITA. I suggest you get a small hand or drillmotor driven pump with an appropriately sized discharge tube to transfer the fluid from the jugs to the tube. YUP, the tube is the only inlet to the Tranny, and some are mounted very awarkedly by the coach builders. Mine was nearly inaccessible, thus the pump. good luck and again, WELCOME TO iRV2.COM. ED

ALSO, please consider adding your coach/toad info as your signature so we can better help with future questions.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:31 AM   #4

edgray

Thanks for the info, but I have a question? I bought a new coach on a W22 with Allisons 1000 series trans, How do I know whether or not it came already filled with TranSynd fluid?
hoggem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:05 PM   #5

Mel, Welcome to iRV2.com Also, I rec'd your email and when I replied it came back saying you are "not our customer" . I don't even attempt to understand CYBERWORLD!

So, to answer your post, UNLESS your W-22 CHASSIS was built Since April 2005 you most likely do NOT have 100% Transynd. At one time they were susposed to tag the dipstick IF it had been filled with all syn., but I don't know how reliable that proceedure would be anyway. I suspose you could call WCC with your VIN # and ask. Changing to full Syn. will make your tranny happier and your wallet lighter, but the MOST important thing is to change that ext. spin on filter at/before 5000 miles, and reuse the washer-looking MAGNET you will find on top of the old filter. Good Luck, ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 07:20 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
If you want the highest concentration of synthetic oil in your transmission consider dropping the transmission pan and discarding the quart of fluid that remains in the bottom of the pan after the transmission has drained via the plug.

The pan gasket is reusable, no need to buy a new one. Make sure you know the torque value for the pan bolts when you go to reassemble the pan to the tranny, it's not all that tight.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote