Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2005, 02:21 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had mine checked yesterday. It was 4 pints low. Capacity is 8.2 pints. It was driven from W/I in Iowa to CA in this state.

Shame on Workhorse, double shame on Winnebago and a hex on Hansel RV for not checking.

The Workhorse dealer thought no damage was done.

What do you think?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2005, 02:21 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had mine checked yesterday. It was 4 pints low. Capacity is 8.2 pints. It was driven from W/I in Iowa to CA in this state.

Shame on Workhorse, double shame on Winnebago and a hex on Hansel RV for not checking.

The Workhorse dealer thought no damage was done.

What do you think?

Old 03-09-2005, 02:44 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
First trip out in my (then) new 2004 33V Bago, my rear axle made so much noise, that my buddie, traveling in his own RV, could hear it howl on his CB.. WH replaced the third member, but I never knew if it was caused by low fluid, or a bad set up.. No evidence of a leak..rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:36 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I guess we better add to our check list, come on snow get out of here.---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 01:55 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I should have included this in my first post, but it doesnt take very long for a rear axle assy. to be damaged from lack of fluid, due to the wiping action of the ring and pinion gears..Im sure you have documented the event, and I would keep an ear tuned for a whine that doesnt belong.. Once these noises start, they never go away..It is always a good idea to keep an eye on the vertical rear of your coach, and front, the windshield, and the rear of your toad(if yer towin'), for telltale spots or specks. Anything that shows up back there in quantity, should be investigated.. maybe something you ran over ( hopefully) , but could be that you are losing fluids.. Small. dusty spots and specks are what you are checking for.I look every time I'm stopped, fuel, rest area, overnite.. every time....j...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:27 PM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
FYI, The fluid in the differential is synthetic.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:24 AM   #7

OK, so I first look for signs of obvious leaking at the rear wheel hubs. Then I crawl under and look for signs of leaking at the pinion seal or outer ends of both axles. Assuming I find none, I now open the filler plug on the rear end and find the fluid is, say 1" below the plug.... I buy a quart of synthetic SAE 75W90 GL-5 (or Emgard 2984), or equivalent, and add it to the rear end. Is that all there is to it?
Old 03-11-2005, 11:12 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Yup, just make sure you're fairly level when checking.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 06:05 PM   #9

A friend had low fluid in the diff, and it caused an overheated axle bearing and a small fire. The shop that he paid to check all fluids ended up buying him a whole axle assembly. Hub to hub.

84 Barth 30 tag powered by ht502/Thorley
bill h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 03:19 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
That's why I do all of the maintenance items that I can do myself, since it is hard to find and trust someone else to do a job properly. You are a lucky person if you have such a trusted mechanic working on your rv.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:44 AM   #11

Help for rookie's...
Where is the filler plug on a W-22 chassis, and is it on the driver or passenger side?
PairoDocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 04:41 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PairoDocs:
Help for rookie's...
Where is the filler plug on a W-22 chassis, and is it on the driver or passenger side? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The rear axle fill plug is on the back of the differential housing slightly off center.

Here's a couple of things to keep in mind about rear axle fluid levels as it relates to GM trucks. I can only assume Workhorse does it the same way.

During production, all axle assemblies are filled by volume of fluid. They are not filled to reach a certain level. With the correct amount of fluid in the axle, the fluid level may be below the bottom of the fill plug.

On any rear axle, variations in the readings can be caused by factory fill differences between the minimum and maximum fluid volume. Also, if a vehicle has just been driven before checking the fluid level, it may appear lower than normal because fluid has traveled out along the axle tubes and has not drained back to the sump area. A reading taken five minutes after the vehicle has been driven will appear to have a lower fluid level than a vehicle that has been stationary for an hour or two.

According to the Workhorse service manual the W-series Spicer Dana S-135 and S-150 axles require a special fill procedure to properly lube the rear wheel hubs. It is as follows...

Notice: In all cases where wheel components are
being installed, either new or after a
maintenance activity, the rear wheel hub cavities are empty. Rear wheel bearings and seals must be manually supplied with adequate rear axle lubricant or they will be severely damaged before normal motion of the vehicle can provide an adequate supply of lubricant. To avoid the risk of premature damage to the rear
wheel bearings and hub seals, they must be filled with rear axle lubricant any time the wheel components are being installed.

1. Install the rear axle drain plug.

2. Remove the rear axle fill plug and seal.
Important: The rear axle must be level during filling and checking.

3. Fill the rear axle with the proper type and
quantity of lubricant until the level is even with the bottom of the fill hole.

Important: If any service has been performed at the rear wheels, perform steps 4 through 10 to fill the rear wheel hub cavities, otherwise proceed to step 11.

4. Install the rear axle fill plug and seal.
Tighten the rear axle fill plug hand tight.

5. Raise the right side of the rear axle a minimum of 152.4 mm (6 in). Maintain this position for approximately one minute in order to allow the rear axle lubricant to flow into the left wheel hub cavity.

6. Lower the vehicle.

7. Raise the left side of the rear axle a minimum of 152.4 mm (6 in). Maintain this position for approximately one minute in order to allow the rear axle lubricant to flow into the right wheel hub cavity.

8. Return the vehicle to a level position.

9. Remove the rear axle fill plug and seal.
Important: The rear axle must be level during filling and checking.

10. Fill the rear axle with the proper type and
quantity of lubricant until the level is even with the bottom of the fill hole.

11. Install the rear axle fill plug and seal.
Tighten the rear axle fill plug to 45 lb ft.

12. Lower the vehicle.

The S-135/150 axles in the W-series chassis call for 24.5 pints of synthetic gear lube, SAE 75W-90, GL-5.

I suspect Scooter has a Dana 80 in his Sightseer as it is the only axle listed in the Chassis Maintenance Guide that requires only 8.2 pints of lube. I suspect there was no harm done, but being 4 pints low is almost half its capacity.

My questions are were the whole 4 pints necessary? Most gear oil comes in 1 quart bottles. If only say 2.5 pints were needed chances are two 1 quart bottles were billed to the repair order. Had the vehicle been sitting for an hour or two prior to the level being checked? Was the vehicle level? Remember, just because the oil is slightly below the bottom of the fill plug does not mean the axle was underfilled at the factory.
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 10:41 AM   #13

I checked the rear axle fluid because of this site making mention to fluids being low and found mine 1 qt low also. I called WH and they told me the same as they told others, probably no damage since I found it at 2100 miles.... (600 miles I have driven the unit).. I would suggest that anyone purchasing new recently check the fluid, Winnebago dealer sure didn't check mine prior to delivery. Now I need to see if this helps the drive train noise problem I have.
paged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 11:08 AM   #14

paged, please keep us informed if your topping off the fluid changes the rear end noise.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> During production, all axle assemblies are filled by volume of fluid. They are not filled to reach a certain level. With the correct amount of fluid in the axle, the fluid level may be below the bottom of the fill plug. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
After reading Horsepowerfan's information above, I thinking that there may be a lot of rear ends that might be 1" low. After all, if they are putting in at least 12 quarts of lube at WH, by the time some of that lube works its way out into each hub & bearing, it could end up being 1" below the fill hole.