Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2015, 09:00 PM   #1

Chevy 454 blowby issue

i have a 93 winnebago itasca sunrise class a 34 foot rv i took it in for an oil change and the tech told me that it is getting oil into the filter which is called blowby what would be the best solution for this and if the motor were to be replaced can it be done with out lifting the coach? and what are my alternatives. also the front suspension seems to be low i filled up the shocks with air but nothing happend
93itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2015, 09:58 PM   #2

How many miles?

It could be toast or maybe just gummed up.

There are a few things like compression test and plug evaluation while tgey are out that can give some clues.

If your oil change was at a place that just does that then they did well to give you notice.

Next comes evaluation of your engine to see what is going on.

You could be real lucky and just have crud in the engine that maybe fresh good oil may clean out of tge rings and it may clean up...

What are your abilities?
Old 03-13-2015, 09:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93itasca View Post
i have a 93 winnebago itasca sunrise class a 34 foot rv i took it in for an oil change and the tech told me that it is getting oil into the filter which is called blowby what would be the best solution for this and if the motor were to be replaced can it be done with out lifting the coach? and what are my alternatives. also the front suspension seems to be low i filled up the shocks with air but nothing happend
WELCOME to iRV2.com
I'm ASSUMING you have a Chevy P32 chassis. The IFS has air bags inside the front coil springs, and they can take upwards of 60 PSI to raise the front end. Are these the "shocks" you added air to? If they don't hold at least 60 PSI, likely there is a leak and should be replaced, unless you go with an aftermarket solution.

I can't really help with the "blow-by" condition, but unless you are using a LOT of oil, I would not worry about that too much. Rebuilding the 454 is a big job when it is crammed into a Class A, but you won't be dropping it out the bottom because the IFS is too complicated for easy removal, as can be done with solid front axle chassis.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:17 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Replace the PCV valve with the application spec piece and make sure that the vacuum line for the valve is clean and clear, you can ease the lookup by looking the same engine up in a C3500 pickup. Chances are the PCV system is stopped up, it's a quick, easy place to start.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:58 AM   #5

dear tq60: it currently has 88000 miles on it and the mechanic told me that it might be gummed up so they changed the oil and filter but put oil called 20/50 told me that this will help. other than that the coach drives fine.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:59 AM   #6

dear edgray: that is exactly what i am talking about i added air to it and and it raise dup and just went straight back down.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:02 AM   #7

dear sknight: both those were checked pcv valve was replaced not to long ago and the vacuum hose was clear
Old 03-14-2015, 07:03 AM   #8

dear all i appreciate your time and help this is my first rv and purchased it from a major chain and put my faith in them and they told me nothing is wrong its a grat coach which it is but they assured me mechanically it wa ssound.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:06 AM   #9

sometimes they lie
edsperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:39 AM   #10

WHAT???? It is getting oil in what filter? I assume he means the air filter. But before we spend $10000 replacing an engine lets actually test things and find out what is wrong and how bad. I owned an engine rebuild machine shop for years. I was always amazed at the ubsurd things that so called mechanics tell there customers.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:54 AM   #11

A very dirty air filter can cause oil to be sucked up into itself. Engine trying to get air where it can.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:11 PM   #12

Quote:
dear edgray: that is exactly what i am talking about i added air to it and and it raise dup and just went straight back down.
If the air bags inside the coils springs won't hold air pressure needed to level the chassis, then you will have to replace them OR consider changing the springs to an after-market solution from a reputable company like, Brazel (UltraRV.com), Hendersons Line up, or perhaps Air Lift Company. I think all three are sponsors here.

Here is quick link to just one of your choices: https://ultrarvproducts.com/store/in...ory&path=33_77
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:20 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
dear sknight: both those were checked pcv valve was replaced not to long ago and the vacuum hose was clear
What if it was replaced with the wrong one? They're all different with how much air they'll flow.

If it's correct the next course of action will be some diagnostic work. First, I'd make sure that the valve cover is clear and not gunked up. Second, a leakdown test is called for. This checks to see how much air is getting by the rings and tells you the overall health of the cylinder.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
How much oil is your engine using? A 454 of your period normally used a quart every 1500 miles. Usually there is a filter in the edge of the air cleaner it is about 3 in. by 2 in. it is where the pipe from the pcv valve comes in. That should be washed out at every oil change. If it is missing or saturated with oil, it will cause your problem. Replace the airbags in the springs. Your front end is not rated for the weight it is carrying without the air bags.

Tags
chevy, 454