RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2006, 02:14 PM   #1

After experiencing water intrusion through the factory airbox, and triggering the check engine light, I crafted an inexpensive cold air replacement utilizing PVC components and an S&B cotton / gauze air filter. Thanks to DriVer for his performance intake install pics.

The tubing is .035 PVC, available from the "racing accessories" department of Home Depot

I used a 3" hole saw and exacto knife to make the hole for mounting the MAF. The coupler is a 4" PVC tubing cap.

The completed intake used less than 24" of .035 PVC. The filer is a S&B part number RO 862.
The length of tubing between the filter and the elbow is 16". This positions the filter just behind the right front headlamp, out from in front of the grill and out of the weather - it's dry!

A bracket is required to support the assembly - fashioned from some material laying around in my garage, and mounted to the factory airbox mounting bracket holes. The unit needs to move with engine rotation torque - the bungie secures the tube to the bracket but allows some movement.

Utilizing the WH "rain fix" intake hood, I fashioned a cover for half of the filter that faced the grill opening. It also served to slightly muffle in intake noise created when the big 8 liter stars breathing hard.
<A HREF="http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/jbrnigan/Coach/intakecover.jpg" TARGET=_blank>[IMG]
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/jbrnigan/Coach/th...over.jpg[/IMG]</A>
Filer (purchaed from S&B) = $39.00, 4" coupling = $4.00, 4" elbow = $3.00, (2) 5" stainless hose clamps = $1.75 ea., 2feet 4" .035 PVC = $2.00 Total cost materials = $52.00
The only caveat - and this would apply to any low restriction intake system - is the "noise" that it makes when the big engine starts to breathe hard. To me, it's noticeable, but not objectionable.

Custom CAI
jbrnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2006, 02:14 PM   #2

After experiencing water intrusion through the factory airbox, and triggering the check engine light, I crafted an inexpensive cold air replacement utilizing PVC components and an S&B cotton / gauze air filter. Thanks to DriVer for his performance intake install pics.

The tubing is .035 PVC, available from the "racing accessories" department of Home Depot

I used a 3" hole saw and exacto knife to make the hole for mounting the MAF. The coupler is a 4" PVC tubing cap.

The completed intake used less than 24" of .035 PVC. The filer is a S&B part number RO 862.
The length of tubing between the filter and the elbow is 16". This positions the filter just behind the right front headlamp, out from in front of the grill and out of the weather - it's dry!

A bracket is required to support the assembly - fashioned from some material laying around in my garage, and mounted to the factory airbox mounting bracket holes. The unit needs to move with engine rotation torque - the bungie secures the tube to the bracket but allows some movement.

Utilizing the WH "rain fix" intake hood, I fashioned a cover for half of the filter that faced the grill opening. It also served to slightly muffle in intake noise created when the big 8 liter stars breathing hard.
<A HREF="http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/jbrnigan/Coach/intakecover.jpg" TARGET=_blank>[IMG]
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f13/jbrnigan/Coach/th...over.jpg[/IMG]</A>
Filer (purchaed from S&B) = $39.00, 4" coupling = $4.00, 4" elbow = $3.00, (2) 5" stainless hose clamps = $1.75 ea., 2feet 4" .035 PVC = $2.00 Total cost materials = $52.00
The only caveat - and this would apply to any low restriction intake system - is the "noise" that it makes when the big engine starts to breathe hard. To me, it's noticeable, but not objectionable.

Custom CAI
jbrnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:53 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
jbrigan, I looked into making a home brew CAI, I wanted to get around the "S"
turn that the stock intake make as it comes out of the air box.
I in a ADV.or my friend in the M. AIR, never had to water intrusion in 30K.
The trouble I had was a flex reducer to the intake as I came up with 4"of
PFC, with a 90deg. to the intake. As I dont think it would be any trouble
to do away with the factory air box, much as you did!
Looked at BRAZIERS and BANKS, like the BANKS, it flowed much smoother
to the intake and opened up the air box intake to 6". AT this time I am
looking to do away with the TUBA and go direct to the air box with a 6"
PVC that will 90deg. up to, and behind the head lights. Keep us informed?
TENN.VOL.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:13 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is the air filter left exposed like I see in pics? "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote