Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I highly recommend that everyone who has had brake problems with W series Workhorse chassis write to their Congressman, I have. Ask them to look into the non-action by NHTSA on a 14 month open action item (#EA07016) and also Workhorse. Please be advised that an e-mail won't do as you are requesting them to look into another federal agency (NHTSA) and he/she needs a signed letter from you to do this. Maybe, just maybe, enough of these letters will get something moving toward a resolution.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
We have reopened this topic to help our members find resolution to their brake problems.

Administration

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Isn't Congress doing enough stupid things without involving them in the RV business?

I guess I should rephrase that and say don't they have enough to do without..oh never mind.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by rickandcheryl:
I highly recommend that everyone who has had brake problems with W series Workhorse chassis write to their Congressman, I have. Ask them to look into the non-action by NHTSA on a 14 month open action item (#EA07016) and also Workhorse. Please be advised that an e-mail won't do as you are requesting them to look into another federal agency (NHTSA) and he/she needs a signed letter from you to do this. Maybe, just maybe, enough of these letters will get something moving toward a resolution.
Rick , I agree. It cant hurt. As much ink and stamps I have already wasted, one more cant hurt. I think I will send him a copy of all my repair doc's and a copy of my nhtsa report. My biggest question for him is why has there only been "1" test. And since it failed wouldnt you want to do alittle more testing.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:14 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you route 66.

Gramps, you had this brake problem on your previos chassis, unfortunatly most of us who are having these brake problems dont have the financing to upgrade or trade in our units due to the economy. Where stuck with motorhomes that are truly unsafe to be driving. So your sarcasim after every brake post is very upsetting to me. You should be concentrating more of your efforts toward the water pump falures that the UFO chassis has been encountering, than involving yourself with a chassis you no longer have loyalty to. NO OFFENCE GRAMPS, just let the many here with the brake problems try to do what they can without the nit-picks. Good luck to us all.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:31 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Just a gentle reminder folks. The recent posts on these sensitive and critical issues have been civil and that has been appreciated by all.

Let's keep our community rules in mind when posting.

"Do not engage in personal attacks. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, extreme belligerence, insults, profanity, extreme anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, and political views, are not acceptable."

Thanks.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:38 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club

I've removed my question. After reading all the brake posts.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally posted by angelman:
Thank you route 66.

Gramps, you had this brake problem on your previos chassis, unfortunatly most of us who are having these brake problems dont have the financing to upgrade or trade in our units due to the economy. Where stuck with motorhomes that are truly unsafe to be driving. So your sarcasim after every brake post is very upsetting to me. You should be concentrating more of your efforts toward the water pump falures that the UFO chassis has been encountering, than involving yourself with a chassis you no longer have loyalty to. NO OFFENCE GRAMPS, just let the many here with the brake problems try to do what they can without the nit-picks. Good luck to us all.
Agreed; I've previously pointed out that some here that so strongly defend Workhorse's 'lack of taking a position' on this issue don't even have an affected chassis. If I didn't own one, I admit there is no way I would take such strong stance, since 'mine' isn't going to fail and it's 'someone else's batttle'.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:13 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Angleman,

I am sympathic to those who have had a serious brake problem, by that I mean it cost a lot to get it fixed. In my case it was scary, ruined my day and cost me 200 bucks after formal action against the service center (they wanted to charge me 2200 dollars for a problem that could not been seen with the naked eye). So I wish all good luck in resolving this in a sensible and satisfactory manner. As far as me making comments, they have beem composed of mostly ideas of what may be causing this, that is all. With the exception of thinking that talking to Congress is not going to help (I have a low opinion of Congress not people with brake problems), I have made no other personal remarks about any one's opinion. Also, as far as me not being loyal to the W-22 chassis because I no longer own it, I am not sure how that matters as much as I am still loyal to the company itself obviously. Also I am in close contact with the person who owns the W-22 I used to drive. I certainly wish them well on the road. If you feel that becaue I no longer own a W-22 and should just stay out of the discussion, I can understand that and will concur.

Good luck to you!
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:50 PM   #10

These discussions are open to everyone,whatever you might own everyone brings a different outlook and may be able to help.
I have an `02 w22 and have never had brake problems but i am still very angry about WH lack of support on this issue.They should at least be asking service centers to return affected parts for study and keep owners abreast of what is going on instead of pretending nothing is wrong.
In these tough economic times builders have to take care of customers or lose them.
When the economy turns around companys like Tiffen and Newmar who value their customers will still be there.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:40 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As long as someone doesn't get arrogant, obnoxious, or personal, I see no reason why they cannot voice their opinion or facts known by them.
I have looked back and failed to see sarcasim after every brake post as noted above.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by Spoonman:
They should at least be asking service centers to return affected parts for study and keep owners abreast of what is going on instead of pretending nothing is wrong.
Exactly! Even though in most cases it doesn't appear that Workhorse paid any part of the repair bill, at the very least they should have offered to buy back all the failed/replaced brake parts to allow their engineers to inspect them, along with the storyline of what led up to the failure. Seems like a lot of failed parts ended up in the trash that should have gone back to Workhorse and Bosch... at least, if I was a product manager and really wanted to try and determine what's going on, that's what I'd be doing... it's the part of the word 'support' that is found in the terms 'product support' and 'customer support'.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:25 AM   #13
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Richard,

When we replace brake parts under warranty or the brake recall, we are always REQUIRED to ship back the parts to Workhorse in oder to get paid. This shipping service is also paid by workhorse & goes to a technical inspection center for international.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally posted by Brazels RV Performance:
Richard,

When we replace brake parts under warranty or the brake recall, we are always REQUIRED to ship back the parts to Workhorse in oder to get paid. This shipping service is also paid by workhorse & goes to a technical inspection center for international.
I agree and am familar with the process, since I was in the automobile for 12 years. My comment was based on all the 'customer pays', which I believe is a far higher percentage than the 'warranty' or 'good-will' that has been paid by Workhorse. If Workhorse was paying 'most' of the claims, then I think there would be less of an outcry with Workhorse and it's perceived lack of customer support on this issue. I say this based on owning a 2005 W20 and having never received a single word from Workhorse nor reimbursement costs of any kind.