RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2005, 06:42 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had this rig now for almost a year. The coolant tank has run dry about every trip. I think coolant has been added about 5 times so far.
WHERE DOES IT GO?
The local workhorse warranty shop decided to try and find out. They took another Class A that was having this problem and put a second expansion tank on it so that the overflow from the first tank went into the second tank.
Yup that is where it went.
It seems that for some reason when at operating temp. it overflows into the expansion tank and out through the hose and is lost. When the engine is cooled down and sucks the coolant back into the radiator enough has been lost that the tank is empty. This is only two or three cupfuls to bring it up to the cold line but I wonder if this is accumlative. I just keep adding and adding. There is no coolant in the engine or trans oil.
What experience have the rest of you had regarding this problem?
what should be done about it. Is this why engines get fried?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2005, 06:42 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had this rig now for almost a year. The coolant tank has run dry about every trip. I think coolant has been added about 5 times so far.
WHERE DOES IT GO?
The local workhorse warranty shop decided to try and find out. They took another Class A that was having this problem and put a second expansion tank on it so that the overflow from the first tank went into the second tank.
Yup that is where it went.
It seems that for some reason when at operating temp. it overflows into the expansion tank and out through the hose and is lost. When the engine is cooled down and sucks the coolant back into the radiator enough has been lost that the tank is empty. This is only two or three cupfuls to bring it up to the cold line but I wonder if this is accumlative. I just keep adding and adding. There is no coolant in the engine or trans oil.
What experience have the rest of you had regarding this problem?
what should be done about it. Is this why engines get fried?

Old 06-18-2005, 07:51 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you add coolent, do you add to the cold line? When i brought my W20 home I checked the coolent tank and it was about an inch below the cold line. I decided to leave it there and see what happened. 15k miles later it is still in the exact same spot. Might try leaving yours an inch or so low and see what happens

2004 Allegro 32BA W20
al koffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 10:19 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Bebop and Al,
That's pretty interesting. I just bought my W20 a few weeks back and my coolant tank was showing an inch or so below the cold line. I took a 1000 mile shakedown tour and I believe it still reads that way. I originally thought that the dealer overlooked this, but now? I'll have to check. That reminds me that I have to buy some coolant....or not.
AKBrick
Old 06-19-2005, 07:27 AM   #5

I was also loosing coolant. But mine was through the manafold bolt on the drivers side and on one of the engine block plugs. It was recommended by WH that I use the GM stop leak that wouldn't void my warranty. So I added the GM stop leak and haven't had any problems in the past 7,000 miles. Apparently when the line worker put the manafold bolts and plugs in the block they did not use compound on the bolt threads, Nice!
Good help and companies are hard to find!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 07:50 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for your reply.
The problem with your reply is that the cold coolant level is only an inch above the bottom of the overflow tank.
Bebop
Old 06-19-2005, 09:40 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like you might have an exhaust leak. There is a simple test for that and any shop can do.

Winnobego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:36 PM   #8

FWIW... My 2004 W22 has 9k on it and the coolant level in the tank is just slightly below the "Cold Line" when cold. When it was new I could smell a coolant smell while driving under certain circumstances.

At 2k the WH service center I went to claimed the rad. cap was defective and replaced it under warranty. Not sure if they topped up the coolant but I haven't touched it myself and 7k later the coolant is right where it should be when cold.