Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
It can still be had I use it in a 2000 explorer. I did some looking since I read your post, there is a lot out there on the subject.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #16

There are threaded plugs in both heads. It is common for them to be loose causing a slight leak. They can be tightened with a 3/8" extension. turn wheel on vehicle to get access from the ground.
rlancast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:38 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlancast View Post
There are threaded plugs in both heads. It is common for them to be loose causing a slight leak. They can be tightened with a 3/8" extension. turn wheel on vehicle to get access from the ground.

How many each?
Old 01-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
How many each?

2 per side. I had the same issue with my 8.1 engine. 5 minute fix. Search this forum for additional info. Good luck !
rlancast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #19

I use Dexcool and have no coolant usage. There was an issue with Dexcool many years ago found to be faulty radiator caps. I have inspected inside my cooling systems on other Dexcool equipped cars with a boroscope and found them to be immaculate.

As for your leak, looks for signs of dripping or coolant running down the lower radiator hose (it may appear as a white streak if dried), that is a tell tale the water pump is seeping coolant. It may take a while for it to get worse but the pump would be my first suspicion. Ask me how I know.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:21 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The pump was one of the first places I looked and I was glad when I didn’t see anything there. I’ll check those plugs in the head. Oh I forgot to mention because it’s been awhile but I did a pressure check on the system and it took about 10+minutes if I remember correctly for it to drop 1 psi. I Don’t remember now if it was on a warm system or cold? Whichever was the suggested way to perform the check was the way I did it. I can look all around and smell with a hot motor and can’t find anything. I’ll keep looking though because occasionally I get a whiff of hot coolant.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:29 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coolant usage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I use Dexcool and have no coolant usage. There was an issue with Dexcool many years ago found to be faulty radiator caps. I have inspected inside my cooling systems on other Dexcool equipped cars with a boroscope and found them to be immaculate.

As for your leak, looks for signs of dripping or coolant running down the lower radiator hose (it may appear as a white streak if dried), that is a tell tale the water pump is seeping coolant. It may take a while for it to get worse but the pump would be my first suspicion. Ask me how I know.

This has been like this since I bought it with 21,000 mi on it. I noticed the reservoir was very low when I looked at it and brought it up on my inspection but told them I would top it off myself if I bought it. I wanted to be sure to put the correct coolant in it.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Did he say why? The old green coolant from the 90’s and earlier. That has less modern corrosion inhibitors. I do know you should not mix the old green stuff with Orange DexCool.
Google antifreeze colors and mixing.

Not anymore the Prestone coolant (green) has been reformulated to last 5 years or 150,000 miles. It's generally called for in 96 and older GMC engines.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:01 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
Not anymore the Prestone coolant (green) has been reformulated to last 5 years or 150,000 miles. It's generally called for in 96 and older GMC engines.

Oh really didn’t know that.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #24

Dexcool takes a bad rap because most times when coolant is changed they don't DRAIN THE BLOCK. There is at least a gallon or more in the block and over time that old coolant thickens and contaminates the whole system. I drain the block and have used Dexcool since new, and change every two years, and that includes the block. Jim, Aerbus, 2003, Rexhall since 2004. can't get on with old ID??
2003 rexhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coolant usage?

I think I was told or read somewhere that Dex-Cool changed their formula through the years?
Old 01-22-2019, 05:12 PM   #26

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got rid of the DexCool many years ago. Not a big fan.

Also had a small radiator fluid leak. Could smell it but couldn't see it. Then I noticed a small cold leak running down the passenger side exhaust manifold.

Fluid was coming from the coolant temp sender. Replaced it and have had no problem since. Used GM part#12572027. A sage mechanic said to replace verses reseal old sender. Part comes with sealant applied.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:48 PM   #27

You might want to check the bypass hose. I had a coolant smell and could never see a leak. I found the clamp slightly loose.
04georgieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:05 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRV4FUN View Post
Got rid of the DexCool many years ago. Not a big fan.

Also had a small radiator fluid leak. Could smell it but couldn't see it. Then I noticed a small cold leak running down the passenger side exhaust manifold.

Fluid was coming from the coolant temp sender. Replaced it and have had no problem since. Used GM part#12572027. A sage mechanic said to replace verses reseal old sender. Part comes with sealant applied.

I will certainly look at that to see if that’s where it’s leaking from along with the other plugs on the heads. But what’s the big hate on dex-cool anyway?