Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2016, 06:41 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Floridakamper and Vettenuts is there a common problem with similar Newmar's you guys both have? I looked at a 2004 Mountainaire 37' W-22 last Dec. at a dealer in Florida and walked away not interested once I seen them with the right side exhaust manifold laying on the shop floor with broken manifold bolts in the heads.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 07:03 PM   #44

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't think Newmar is the common element. I think the Workhorse chassis is great but like ALL the gas and diesel chassis' used for motorhomes, it has some issues. The 8.1 on a Workhorse chassis is prone to burning plug wires and having manifold issues. The older W22 chassis had brake issues resolved with a recall. The Ford V10 has it's own list of issues and do some reading on the Spartan or Freightliner forums and most of our problems look minor. These forums help us share info and work through the lapses in engineering.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:19 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakamper View Post
I don't think Newmar is the common element. I think the Workhorse chassis is great but like ALL the gas and diesel chassis' used for motorhomes, it has some issues. The 8.1 on a Workhorse chassis is prone to burning plug wires and having manifold issues. The older W22 chassis had brake issues resolved with a recall. The Ford V10 has it's own list of issues and do some reading on the Spartan or Freightliner forums and most of our problems look minor. These forums help us share info and work through the lapses in engineering.

Sure I get that and too wouldn't think Newmar had anything to do with it, that it would be a WH problem. It just seemed odd that all three were Newmars?

Old 03-18-2016, 05:58 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Looks like your ready, please keep us updated on the procedure

Have you decided if you are going to use an impact to remove the old bolts?
I will update but the coach is still in winter storage in a warehouse. I don't plan to do the work myself, I am not very good at exhaust work when its rusty. I plan to take it to someone I have had work on the coach in the past. Not sure how he will get them out, but I asked about the impact because from what I have read and seen careful use of the impact might help work the bolt out from the rust.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:02 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Floridakamper and Vettenuts is there a common problem with similar Newmar's you guys both have? I looked at a 2004 Mountainaire 37' W-22 last Dec. at a dealer in Florida and walked away not interested once I seen them with the right side exhaust manifold laying on the shop floor with broken manifold bolts in the heads.

In this thread I think this is just coincidence. The internet is riddled with people that have had manifold bolts stretch, break, etc. I watched one video of the repair of a Dodge Ram truck so I tend to think this problem is unfortunately pretty common.

On my chassis, the W24 provides a lot of room for cooling air to pass the spark plug wires, etc. so I don't think its the Newmar brand itself that has caused this issue. In my case, I believe one of the studs has stretched a bit because my leak is pretty minor but I don't want it to turn into a big problem on the road.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #48

Cracked Exhaust Manifold

Just had my exhaust manifolds replaced with Banks TurboTubes and Magnaflow Mufflers. Redlands RV did a great job (as usual) with the install rerouting the exhaust to the front of the driver side duals (Fleetwood had the original exhaust behind the duals directly below the fuel door ) Just completed a 1500 mile trip with the new system. Results are impressive. More power for sure with overdrives staying in gear longer. The bonus is a .5-.9 mpg increase in fuel economy over the same trip last year. The mufflers are louder at take off, but level out to about the same as stock when crusing. No more concern about the manifolds failing.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:06 PM   #49

John47; Do you know what they used between the headers and the cylinder heads. eg gaskets/sealant,or neither?

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:56 AM   #50

Also curious if your coach is a southern CA coach, did the original exhaust studs come right out? Also, any check engine light while driving?

I have been a little concerned about the Banks due to the leaning of the fuel mixture that results from installation.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:46 AM   #51

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I had the Banks Exhaust installed on my 2007 Winnebago Adventurer, and am very happy with it. Banks advertises that no gaskets are needed, because of their tolerances. I don't know whether my installer used gaskets or not, but at my last tune up, I was told that I have an exhaust leak on one side. I haven't checked it out myself yet, but I don't hear anything. Once I get my taxes back, will be looking at the programmer.
LINADR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #52

The banks tubes did not have any gaskets installed. If there is a lean condition it does not show up as anything that I notice. The 1500 mile trip I took from AZ to WA had no problems of any kind. Just the good things I mentioned.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:48 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by John47 View Post
The banks tubes did not have any gaskets installed. If there is a lean condition it does not show up as anything that I notice. The 1500 mile trip I took from AZ to WA had no problems of any kind. Just the good things I mentioned.

Thanks for the feedback. Banks will be next if the new gasket leaks again.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I will update but the coach is still in winter storage in a warehouse. I don't plan to do the work myself, I am not very good at exhaust work when its rusty. I plan to take it to someone I have had work on the coach in the past. Not sure how he will get them out, but I asked about the impact because from what I have read and seen careful use of the impact might help work the bolt out from the rust.
Just wanted to update, I dropped the coach off this morning for the exhaust repair. Will updated once it is done. A question was asked about removal but I am not doing the work. I have been hitting the studs and nuts with Kroil all winter so I am hoping this will help with stud removal.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:22 AM   #55

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Got my fingers crossed for you.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yea....good luck!
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote