RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2006, 08:08 AM   #1
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
About 1 month ago I posted a comment about my coach having cracked front rotors and that after a go around with the California - Arizonia rep, Workhorse aggreed to replace the front rotors and I paid for the install. This was done at Apache Sands Service Center in Mesa AZ. All seemed ok until yesterday. I was under my coach and running new air lines to my rear air bags when I decided to feel the rear rotors as they are not visable.
BOTH were cracked.
I contacted Workhorse this Am and they are looking into it. I guess that I am venting because neither Apache Sands nor Workhorse checked the rear rotors and that all 4 rotors have cracked.
The manager at Apache Sands stated that he felt these coaches uere "under braked" - they were legal BUT!.
I have allway used the transmission where possible but I do live in a mountainous region of North America- B.C.so I do have to use the brakes. I havn't had a simular problem with my previous coaches (different chasis)
- I would suggest that other owners keep an eye on their rotors and reach under and feel the back ones and point out irregularities to their Workhorse repair centers. Don't just depend upon their "finding" problems for you.
Thanks. I will let you know what Workhorse decides this time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2006, 08:08 AM   #2
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
About 1 month ago I posted a comment about my coach having cracked front rotors and that after a go around with the California - Arizonia rep, Workhorse aggreed to replace the front rotors and I paid for the install. This was done at Apache Sands Service Center in Mesa AZ. All seemed ok until yesterday. I was under my coach and running new air lines to my rear air bags when I decided to feel the rear rotors as they are not visable.
BOTH were cracked.
I contacted Workhorse this Am and they are looking into it. I guess that I am venting because neither Apache Sands nor Workhorse checked the rear rotors and that all 4 rotors have cracked.
The manager at Apache Sands stated that he felt these coaches uere "under braked" - they were legal BUT!.
I have allway used the transmission where possible but I do live in a mountainous region of North America- B.C.so I do have to use the brakes. I havn't had a simular problem with my previous coaches (different chasis)
- I would suggest that other owners keep an eye on their rotors and reach under and feel the back ones and point out irregularities to their Workhorse repair centers. Don't just depend upon their "finding" problems for you.
Thanks. I will let you know what Workhorse decides this time.

Old 05-17-2006, 08:11 AM   #3

Mine are cracked also. What year is your chassis and what is the name of the service rep for AZ?
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:20 AM   #4
Official iRV2 Sponsor

JCM,
What year is your coach??? Give me the VIN number so I can check Workhorse website for info to help you out.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:27 AM   #5
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I live in British Columbia where we only have one repair center - 350 miles away. That is why I waited until I was in Arizonia for service.
So I don't have an actuall service rep but I finaly connected with the California - Arizonia rep (name ?) who seemed to be a reasonable person.
Apache Sands replaced the rear ABS sensors because of the ABS light comming on but apparently never checked the rear rotors or jus didn't tell me of their status.
I have a W22 - 2003 under a 35 foot Triple E Commander. It is a heavy coach but even when it was full of fuel, water etc. is was still 1200 lbs under gross. So it is not over weight.
The real problem is that Workhorse reps live in a flat country and probably havn't ever driven up north where you must use the brakes and transmission frequently even at 50-60 mph.
It was interesting that the pads on the front were still 70-80% when I replaced the rotors. The pads were replaced anyway (at my cost).
Maybe the rep at Apache Sands was right in that he said that these vehicles are "under braked". They be legal under "tests" but marginal or inadequate in the real world.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
The Vin number is 5B4MP67G9 33367359

Further history. 2 years ago after a trip across Canada I had pulsations in my front brakes and made an a apointment and went into Quirk Chev in Bangor Main where they lathed my front rotors (very carefully as I watched) and again never checked my rear brakes even though it was noted on their invoice that they did.
My main concern at that time was the replacement of the front shocks to the Monoro Magnums - improved the ride. So I never even noticed their notation that they checked the rear brakes till long after I left.
I was with the mechanic the entire time and they never even lifted the rear of the coach because they couldn't nor did they therefore even remove the tires and look.
I mentioned that I herd that there was a brake recall but I was told it didn't affect my chasis.
Thanks for your feedback.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:39 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
hate to say it but we've had cracked rotors on Ford Class C, Workhorse P32 and will be checking out current rig soon.
Having worked in the automotive industry for many years, we are not fans of turning rotors! It usually takes them close to or under specs.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:46 AM   #8
Official iRV2 Sponsor

JCM,

Your coach was built just after the coaches that had a brake recall.We have been successful in getting Workhorse to cover incidents like yours.The brake calipers are the problem most likely & need to be replaced.Also you should check you brake bellcrank and make sure it is not sticking,this causes the rotors to crack also.There has been discussion on this page regarding this proceedure.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:53 AM   #9
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
What is a bellcrank?
I feel that the repair centers have only "fixed" the symptoms but never made a diagnosis and repaired the ongoing problem.
Now it is 1 1/2 week over warantee so I will see what happens.
Centralia Washingon is only one day away - what numer can I call you at?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:08 AM   #10
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Call me at 877-786-1576 our Workhorse rep will be here tomorrow,would'nt that be funny if you were both here at the same time???