Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2006, 07:21 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We left home on May 1st and have now driven 3300 plus miles on this trip and are now in Crater Lake, OR., about halfway through our '06 travels. A few days ago I started having a problem with the cruise control. It works great until you step on the breaks to slow down with the CC engaged. After doing so the CC will not re-engage utilizing the set and/or resume functions. If you turn the ignition off, the CC will again function as expected. Also, if instead of utilizing the break to disengage the CC, I turn the CC off with the selector switch on the turn signal, and then return the switch to the ON position, it works fine. Called WCC and gave them the same info as above. Their response was to check the fuse. I have never known of a fuse that was anything but good or bad, but did so. Problem still exist. WCC is suppose to call back first thing Monday. Any suggestions. It's a long way back to the East Coast without CC.

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2006, 07:21 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We left home on May 1st and have now driven 3300 plus miles on this trip and are now in Crater Lake, OR., about halfway through our '06 travels. A few days ago I started having a problem with the cruise control. It works great until you step on the breaks to slow down with the CC engaged. After doing so the CC will not re-engage utilizing the set and/or resume functions. If you turn the ignition off, the CC will again function as expected. Also, if instead of utilizing the break to disengage the CC, I turn the CC off with the selector switch on the turn signal, and then return the switch to the ON position, it works fine. Called WCC and gave them the same info as above. Their response was to check the fuse. I have never known of a fuse that was anything but good or bad, but did so. Problem still exist. WCC is suppose to call back first thing Monday. Any suggestions. It's a long way back to the East Coast without CC.

2004 CR-V EX
Old 06-19-2006, 02:29 AM   #3

Try using the resume feature to re-set when this happens, do not know why but have had this work many times thru the years with GM cruise controls when they just go to sleep for no reason. Richard
Old 06-19-2006, 02:34 AM   #4

By the way Greeche we were at Crater just about this time last year and snow was on the ground everywhere, what a view, huh?

PS Just re-read your post and noticed you have tried the resume feature, have you tried holding it in the resume position, sometimes after a few seconds it will start to accelerate and can be re-set after that. Richard
Old 06-19-2006, 09:26 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Geeche, check the switch that operates when you press your brake pedel to disingage the CC, you have to get on your back to have a looksee. The screws have been known to loosen over time.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:10 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I had the same problem and the Workhorse service group here loosened the brake switch...or at least that is what I recall them doing...just call one and they seem to know right off what it is...

2005 Dolphin
Gdlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:42 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I left home on Sunday headed for Texas. My CC did not work right out of the shoot. Made Tucson without it and then called Redlands Truck before todays travel. KC said the two biggest problems with CC's are either a blow brake light fuse or an improperly adjusted brake light switch. The CC needs a properly working brakelight circuit. Well my brake light fuse was ok so I pushed the brake light switch near the brake pedal in towards the pedal which made it tighter. The switches are very flimsily attached. Guess what? CC now working properly. I suspect your problem is with your brake light switch.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:02 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yesterday the MH spent the day at Cummins Northwest in Eugene. The results of their investigation was they adjusted the brake light switch. During the drive over to Florence today ,the CC worked as per its design

2004 CR-V EX
Old 06-21-2006, 01:13 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gdlow:
I had the same problem and the Workhorse service group here loosened the brake switch...or at least that is what I recall them doing...just call one and they seem to know right off what it is... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That brake switch can be the cause of at least two problems; e.g., toad brake lights not coming on and cruise control to go on the blink.

This switch is contained in a threaded plastic or nylon body. Workhorse installs it in an unthreaded steel bracket (at least mine is unthreaded). There's nothing to hold it in the proper position, and it eventually moves out of position.

After I PROPERLY adjusted the switch, and installed nylon nuts on each side of the bracket that it extends thru, I've had no further problems.

BTW, it takes two men and a small boy taking turns, to get to that switch and adjust it properly.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:46 AM   #10

So what is the exact adjustment? My brake lights aren't on without the pedal and my CC doesn't work.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:48 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Abarkl, try pushing the switch in towards the brake pedal arm to make it a little tighter. When I had my problem, the brake lights worked and the CC did not. The switch, as Freddy said, has plastic nylon threads and when you push it towards the pedal (perpendicular) you'll hear it clicking. I just played with mine and the CC worked. There wasn't an exact adjustment. It is really a flimsy set up.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:02 PM   #12

I'll try that and I think I'll install the plastic nuts to keep it from moving.
Thank you.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:13 PM   #13

The quickest way to find the right sized nuts is to visit your local auto parts store and purchase any brake switch for ~$5. Use the nuts that came with it, and throw the switch away since it probably isn't the right one anyway.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote