Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2016, 10:58 PM   #1

Cummins ISC 8.3 over charges in the rain.

Hey guys, just wanted to check in on a problem I've been having on my 2008 (chassis is 2007) gulfstream crescendo with the 8.3 ISC on a workhorse Chassis. When it's wet outside I am getting a warning light with the dummy gague for amps showing 'high'. When this happens, voltage at the power outlets is just a hair over 17v. This mainly happens under load. When I let off the throttle, the problem subsides after a few seconds.

Do you think it's likely my alternator? Voltage regulator? Any way to test this before pulling it off the coach since it doesn't happen at idle and only happens during the rain?
NateYarbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 03:44 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Alternator has an internal regulator which is being effected by the rain. Time to replace the alternator.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:16 AM   #3

Cummins ISC 8.3 over charges in the rain. (Xpost in cummins forum)

Alternators are expensive. I would have it tested. Replace only if necessary. Replacing the voltage regulator is a simple job on many alternators. Do it soon, before it destroys your batteries.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor
Freightliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 05-31-2016, 04:42 AM   #4

As stated, get it tested.

The reason it does not overcharge at idle is that the alternator needs to turn faster to reach its output potential.

The voltage regulator controls that by cutting back the output.

Yours isn't, due to a bad regulator or some wiring glitch. ( Anybody been working near engine ? )

You should go thru, one by one, what things you may be turning on while driving in wet weather, to re-create it. ( headlights, wipers, defroster )

Don't let it go to long, you shouldn't charge the batteries over 14.2 volts or so.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:01 PM   #5

Cool, good to have a little validation. I pulled the alternator off and took it to oreillys and autozone. Neither could test it... :/ I'll call NAPA tomorrow and see if they can do it. If not, I'll call a truck repair place.

So, when they test it...could it exhibit the same problems it does when it's wet?

Also, another party I was talking to said that the battery isolation solenoid COULD have something to do with it. Something about calling for more power, which was causing overvoltage from the alternator. Sound feasable? Or just stick to the alternator route?

For what it's worth, it's a Delco Remy SI31 200A
Old 06-01-2016, 02:31 AM   #6

The battery isolation solenoid connects 1 battery bank to the other. It doesn't control the alternator. Connecting the banks would lower the voltage, causing the amp output to rise until the volts reached the regulator set point. 14.6 or 14.8 volts

There is a senerio where overcharging is possible with a diode based isolator.

It was used in place of the solenoid system but I believe they stopped using them before your MHs year.

If you have one, it would look like the picture. With that, comes different troubleshooting steps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1464769743799.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	128849  
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:30 PM   #7

Perfect. Yeah, I have the other, solenoid type I believe. No such luck finding a place to have it tested in the area so I went ahead and ordered a new one. I'm happy to have a 200 amp alternator until I have to pay for a new 200 amp alternator. Lol
Old 06-17-2016, 08:44 AM   #8

overcharging in rain

I purchased a 2008 (chassis 2007) Gulfstream Crescendo with 8.3 Cummins used two months ago. I have experienced this overcharging twice during heavy rain while driving at hwy speeds. I immediately pulled over and the overcharging stopped. I have checked paperwork left by prior owner and found they have replaced the four house batteries and alternator two years ago.

I thought maybe water was splashing up onto the alternator from the rear tires? Could you advise what the result was to fix your problem.

Also, do you know how to access the fan belts in order to change them.
Hank1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank1956 View Post
I purchased a 2008 (chassis 2007) Gulfstream Crescendo with 8.3 Cummins used two months ago. I have experienced this overcharging twice during heavy rain while driving at hwy speeds. I immediately pulled over and the overcharging stopped. I have checked paperwork left by prior owner and found they have replaced the four house batteries and alternator two years ago.

I thought maybe water was splashing up onto the alternator from the rear tires? Could you advise what the result was to fix your problem.

Also, do you know how to access the fan belts in order to change them.
In my case it was indeed the alternator. Bought a new one, replaced it, and just drove 2000 miles to Alaska on it. Drove through a LOT of rain and haven't had the problem again.

As far as the fan belts go, mine is just a serpentine belt if I remember correctly and didn't appear that difficult to remove although I didn't remove it, I just moved it out of the way to install the alternator.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:22 PM   #10

are you testing and confirming the voltage with a digital volt meter... Most Cummins engines use the ECM to control the charge voltage, not a regulator in the alternator... the ECM looks at outside air temperature... and usually a senor close to the batteries to validate and charge the batteries... as it gets colder, batteries require a higher charge voltage to charge than batteries on hot days... thus the ECM will change the charging voltage... in some cases the ECM will delay the start of the charging to allow a cold engine to warm and smooth out... you often see this with a volt meter that stays at battery voltage for 3-5 minutes after a cold start....

I use either a scan tool, or a digital voltmeter to confirm charging voltage... as the ECM just sends a simple signal to the voltmeter, oil pressure gauge, water temp gauge....

Hope this helps... BTW, if you are seeing that high of voltage with a digital meter... go check the ground connections all over the engine compartment for a loose connection...
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:41 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our alternator went out on the '02 DSDP. Got a new one and replaced it (about $400). Took the old one in and had it rebuilt for about $100. Found a rusted bearing and bad brushes due to water intrusion.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #12

overcharging in rain

This is my first Diesel Pusher and I am overwhelmed but have learned an awful lot in the past two months. I have changed the fluids on the diesel and generator myself along with the fuel filters and air cleaners. I basically used common sense and read the manual for instructions and asked friends lots of questions. This problem is more than I can handle and I have an appointment with Hans Freightliner in Cleveland Ohio on Monday. I looked at my four Interstate House batteries and two of them appear to have a small amount of overflow. The two engine batteries seem okay.I am currently staying at a campground in Beldon Cleveland and I am heading to Long Island New York July 1 and then cross country to Northern Ca. I figured better to bite the bullet now or pay dearly on the road. Thanks to everyone for your help, at least I now have a better understanding of the potential problem.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
in some cases the ECM will delay the start of the charging to allow a cold engine to warm and smooth out... you often see this with a volt meter that stays at battery voltage for 3-5 minutes after a cold start....
You're probably seeing the intake "grid heaters" (The Cummins solution to glow plugs) pulling the voltage down to where there's little to no charge being delivered - They use an impressive amount of current, and will often run for a few minutes when it's cold out..
Old 07-27-2016, 09:09 AM   #14

Sorry for the late update. I brought my rig to Hans Freightliner and after the two hours and $255 charge for checking alternator and batteries; I was told everything fine but batteries needed water they were very low. I went to leave and put rig in reverse but cameras did not work. I asked mechanic if he touched any wires and he said "I pulled on wires to disconnect batteries from rig". I told him there was a battery disconnect switch that was for that purpose. I drove back to campground reconnected the wire he pulled out and replaced the blown fuse and got camera working again. They charge $100 and hour for trucks and $125 for rv's which does not seem fair. So, I am now in Long Island New York and will be heading to Ca. in a few days. I am hoping it was the low water in batteries that caused the problem. I will be watching closely when I hit heavy rains.Still not sure what caused the problem.

Tags
cummins, forum