Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2007, 09:56 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After doing some maintenance tasks involving radiator and trans service I finally got motivated enough to move the TUBA assembly out of the way. I was able to obtain a complete tuba and air box assembly resulting from a take off due to a CAI installation Compliments of Keith at Redlands Truck and RV during the WH rally.
I had been contemplating a DIY cold air intake but finally decided not to bother. I felt that the lower original part of the tuba was designed to keep water out of the intake and I wanted to leave that in tact. Cutting the top part of the tuba off opened up the area near the radiator and provided easier access to the radiator A/C site glass and dip sticks.

By carefully cutting the flared inlet with the screen wire, I was able to re-use it on the lower half of the remaining tuba housing just above the water drain section. I obtained a good fit between the flare part and the lower half frontal surface area of the remaining tuba.

I also gained the benefit of some slight ram air effect since the flared inlet was now in direct alignment with the grill openings.

I then fashioned a sheet metal plug to fit in the large opening created by cutting the top half of the tuba off. The flared inlet as well as the sheet metal plug were hot melt glued in place.

Finally sealed with a thick fillet of polyurethane roofing and flashing sealant. This stuff forms a very pliable adhesive seal at both places.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2007, 09:56 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After doing some maintenance tasks involving radiator and trans service I finally got motivated enough to move the TUBA assembly out of the way. I was able to obtain a complete tuba and air box assembly resulting from a take off due to a CAI installation Compliments of Keith at Redlands Truck and RV during the WH rally.
I had been contemplating a DIY cold air intake but finally decided not to bother. I felt that the lower original part of the tuba was designed to keep water out of the intake and I wanted to leave that in tact. Cutting the top part of the tuba off opened up the area near the radiator and provided easier access to the radiator A/C site glass and dip sticks.

By carefully cutting the flared inlet with the screen wire, I was able to re-use it on the lower half of the remaining tuba housing just above the water drain section. I obtained a good fit between the flare part and the lower half frontal surface area of the remaining tuba.

I also gained the benefit of some slight ram air effect since the flared inlet was now in direct alignment with the grill openings.

I then fashioned a sheet metal plug to fit in the large opening created by cutting the top half of the tuba off. The flared inlet as well as the sheet metal plug were hot melt glued in place.

Finally sealed with a thick fillet of polyurethane roofing and flashing sealant. This stuff forms a very pliable adhesive seal at both places.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #3
iRV2 Sponsor

Marty,

Would I recognize this assembly from Hemet?
Redlands Truck and RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:16 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes Keith,

After messin with the air filter box in several ways, I started to realize that too much air flow restriction still remained with the standard system. I didn't feel that comfortable in totally eliminating the water trap and placing the air inlet directly in the path of oncoming road splash etc.

Thanks for the parts. I managed to spend many interesting hours of my valuable retirement time. I also got to make many purchases and returns to Home Depot's duct aisle. Net cost-- just gasoline to and from Home depot. Was fun. Don't know if I will realize any performance changes. But my goal to open the work space in front of the radiator was accomplished

Marty
Old 05-18-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
iRV2 Sponsor

Post some pics so we can see. I'm glad we were able to help.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
iRV2 Sponsor

Duhh.... I just saw your pics. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:21 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I Still haven't figured how to make pictures show on the posts
Old 05-18-2007, 02:58 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
M&EM There may be more then one way to do it but once you are looking at your picture, Right-Click on the large picture and select Properties from the menu. Select/Highlight the Address: i.e. all of the line URL=http://www.irv2.. ...IMG_4038.jpg /URL and Copy this into the Click-Board. I'm assuming you know how to do that. Note: the URL and the /URL must have the [] brackets around them.

When your Posting a Reply type in your message and at the point you want the picture to show select the little green image icon at the top and Paste the line you copied into the window that pops up, and click the okay button on this little window.

Or just type [IMG] in front and [/IMG] behing the pasted line.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:28 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M&EM:
After doing some maintenance tasks involving radiator and trans service I finally got motivated enough to move the TUBA assembly out of the way.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice job Marty. Just don't head for Hoodsport until the rain stops on the 4th of July. :-)

Bob....
Old 05-18-2007, 03:30 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Bob and Bob

Got it!
Went back and added pictures to the original post.