Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We just got on the road yesterday from Maine to North Carolina and I had my first opportunity to observe my Scan Gauge II. It has all kinds of info and things I never had the chance to ever see with other engine powered machines-- even airplanes.

I was impressed with the Tranny temp on my Allison 1000. It was never over 150 degrees, and held steady at 145 degrees at 63 mph. The air temperature entering the Mass Air Flow sensor, with the cold air Intake kit installed (CAI), was about 3 to 5 degrees cooler than the ambient temperature.

Now, if I can learn how to use the throttle position and the constantly changing ignition timing info to increase my mileage I'll be doing great

All in all its a neat investment-- I recommend it highly, just locate it in a "easy to see" position. I moved it several time (with velcro).

Good luck,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We just got on the road yesterday from Maine to North Carolina and I had my first opportunity to observe my Scan Gauge II. It has all kinds of info and things I never had the chance to ever see with other engine powered machines-- even airplanes.

I was impressed with the Tranny temp on my Allison 1000. It was never over 150 degrees, and held steady at 145 degrees at 63 mph. The air temperature entering the Mass Air Flow sensor, with the cold air Intake kit installed (CAI), was about 3 to 5 degrees cooler than the ambient temperature.

Now, if I can learn how to use the throttle position and the constantly changing ignition timing info to increase my mileage I'll be doing great

All in all its a neat investment-- I recommend it highly, just locate it in a "easy to see" position. I moved it several time (with velcro).

Good luck,
Old 09-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Max, I have yet to setup my new Scan Gauge II. I love my old one and I wouldn't leave home without it.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now, if I can learn how to use the throttle position and the constantly changing ignition timing info to increase my mileage I'll be doing great </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The timing to me is the most important, Once you have it mapped out a change could be in order....Check with "Mike" at Brazals &lt;sp&gt;

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:04 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I wish it would track engine oil pressure, my IP LED readout is finally giving up.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:49 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Love mine too. I agree with Driver as I would not leave home without it. I had the engine light come on my Honda so I moved it to the Honda to read the error code. Very valuable tool IMHO. I am still playing with the gauge setup to try to get the best setup. Anyone want to share their setups. I use TPS, CAI, RPMS and Engine Temp currently.
Frank O.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:53 AM   #7

Any links on where to buy one would be appreciated!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:57 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I bought mine I found that Scangauge had the best price. So www.scangauge.com is what I would recommend.
Frank O.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you need to add something to the Allison 1000 to get the temp with the Scan Gauge?? Also where do you get the list of codes for the Workhorse ?
Paul and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Any links on where to buy one would be appreciated! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Why, Brazel's RV Performance of course!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankO:
Love mine too. I agree with Driver as I would not leave home without it. I had the engine light come on my Honda so I moved it to the Honda to read the error code. Very valuable tool IMHO. I am still playing with the gauge setup to try to get the best setup. Anyone want to share their setups. I use TPS, CAI, RPMS and Engine Temp currently.
Frank O. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use engine water temp, trans temp, avg. mpg and fuel used.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Paul and Sue--

When I got my gauge installed I called Scan Gauge and they walked me through the process. It also is on their web site. Nothing was added to the 1000. I asked the guy (James) how he figured out all the entries required to bring up the Tranny Temp. He said it took a long time a heck of alot of work.

This has to be the coolest running transmission in the world. Today from Boston to mid New Jersey, I was showing 130 to 140 degrees-- ambient Temperature was 70 to 75 degrees. My old Holiday Rambler with a Chevy 454 and a Hydramatic 400 Tranny was always in the 210-245 range! I am running normal dino oil in it-- I see no reason to change to Transynd fluid.

And Jim Elliott-- I'm plan on going to the Workhorse rally in Myrtle Beach next month. "Driver", Mike Plechet is going to update the engine UP set up for me.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have not tried to use the X-Gauge feature yet. I see you can get instantaneous Horsepower and Torque, I would like to add these before the next trip.
Frank O.
BTW -- I didn't know that Brazel's sold the Scangauge and may not have when I bought. Next time I will know better.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And Jim Elliott-- I'm plan on going to the Workhorse rally in Myrtle Beach next month. "Driver", Mike Plechet is going to update the engine UP set up for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Max...That will really wake up your engine, I met with "Mike & Big Al" in Indio for a long discussion....All of us are on the same page with one exception...I work on the older HEIs while they work on the computer chips which allows them to dial one in MUCH closer and with less work.
Either way the end results turn out great for the user..

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote