Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Delbert21:
... the engineer was unsure of the correct pressure to charge the system, any idea what pressure we should be aiming for, it now works but dosent really feel cold enough </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I might be incorrect however I believe my service tech filled my unit with 32 US fluid ounces of refrigerant. I have the A/C unit with the fans pretty much like yours.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Please remember, the air passing over the cooling coils must then (in a basement AC system) travel in ducting up the back end and then the full length of the coach. My exit air temp at the front outlet is fully 5-8 degrees warmer than that at rear outlet.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:58 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just returned from a very well respected WH service center in SoCal, where I spent $1,000+ and change to replace the HOWLING A/C compressor, along with the receiver/dryer and other components that seem to be required when these things go haywire.

Couple of interesting points:
1. They were out of compressors due to high demand for replacements. Hmmmm - wonder why? This thing failed in only 26,000 miles!
2. When I inquired about the Crystal Aire upgrade, I was told the WH rep said the system is no longer available.
3. The newly refurbished system works pretty much like when it was brand new......in a word - poorly. Funny how I can get in my Jeep Wrangler toad and get FROSTY air within seconds of turning on the AC on a HOT SoCal day, but this rig blows warmer air than a lot of people who post on......oops, I'd better stop LOL!!

My point is, really, that this seems to be the norm from what I can gather from all the posts on this forum. (In spite of my attempt at some humor, I value this site and have benefited greatly from everyone's experiences.)

My hope is, though, that I don't have to spend another $1,000+ to replace the new compressor in another 26,000 miles. So far, the cost per mile for the original system ($1,000/26,000 miles) is $.38 per mile.
tppilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:05 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ooooops.......make that $.038 cents per mile.

I'd better check my math before hitting that send button next time!
tppilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:20 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver, I started to say, my UFO AC turns my knees into blue knobs of ice! It was pretty bad for awhile when I couldn't turn it off even on a cold day. I know I still need to send a pic of that connector.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:15 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -Gramps-:
Driver, I started to say, my UFO AC turns my knees into blue knobs of ice! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>-Gramps-, That's a refreshing description in comparison to what we have seen from the front engine varieties.

Regarding the many UFO coaches that I have driven over the past couple of years, the A/C performance has been one of the things that I have experienced that has improved exponentially. Perhaps one of the required SPID options for these units should be 12 volt powered knee warmers!

Turning the A/C down or off would be another option.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:29 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Delbert21:
DriVer

We have a 2001 Damon Daybreak 3275 on a Workhorse Chassis with a Chevy 8.1 Vortec, we live in the UK and have just had the A/C recharged, the engineer was unsure of the correct pressure to charge the system, any idea what pressure we should be aiming for, it now works but dosent really feel cold enough </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I Would hardly call the fellow that worked on your A/C and engineer, much less a technician.

A decent A/C technician should be able to charge the system using a set of gauges and an outlet air thermometer.

I presume you are talking about the the dash air unit. It is R-134a and you should shoot to get a suction pressure of about 40 psig (2.8 kg/cm2).

In order to weigh the chage into the system, the system will need to be completely evacuated and fresh charge weighed into the system. There is supposed to be a tag on the system tell you what the charge weight was at hte factory.

My suggestion is to find a better qualified technician. Truthfully, any reasonably competent A/C technician should be able to handle this work.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
tppilot,
Part of the poor performance of the a/c is the design of the coach builder. With the intake up inside the engine compartment, the a/c gets super heated air from the engine - when you're stopped or going slow. The workaround this is to run your air only in "Max A/C" so that intake is from inside the coach (usually down by the passengers feet). This helps a bunch.

Of course, the Workhorse/Allison design to put the transmission cooler coils in front of the a/c condenser coils means the a/c unit receives an ambient temp that feels like 140 deg even on a cool day. No wonder it struggles to keep us cool. To make matters worse, the transmission get up operating temp by running tranny fluid thru the engine radiator. Even on a 80 deg when the afternoon sun is beating thru the windshield, the a/c is just barely adequate. At least WH fixed this on new models a couple years ago. But it doesn't help us folks with the crummy design.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
I believe our 03 Workhorse chassis coach is on low refrigerant. When I connected a gauge to the low pressure port next to the evaporator I don't read any pressure. The compressor is cycling. I noticed there is another fitting next to the low pressure port with a cap on it. When I took the dust cap off there appears to be some sort of valve that has a square shaft. Does anyone know what the purpose of this valve is for? Thanks, Don
Old 04-21-2009, 05:21 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
That is a valve to open port for charging.Connect gauges open valve read gauges.