Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dash air not working

I have been reading through many posts on Workhorse and Newmar forums, as well as RV appliances forum.

The dash air in our '04 gas Kountry Star is only blowing warm air. The Workhorse manual shows a Delphi/Harrison compressor. All the posts I have found talk about an Evans compressor.

I am confused as where to look for assistance with this problem. I am hoping it is only a matter of being recharged since I do not use the dash air very often.

Newmar supplies the evaporator core - Workhorse the rest. I am not certain which needs repair.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
K Man, you are correct on the make of compressor (Delphi). The Evans valve mentioned in the many posts you have read is a vacuum operated valve that controls the flow of coolant thru the heater core. Many coaches equipped with this valve have a problem of not shutting off completely, thus causing warmer than normal air to be discharged from the air conditioning, (the heater core and the evaporator for the A/C share the same case). Don't know if your coach is equipped with this brand of valve or not.
Have you checked all the fuses for the A/C? Can you hear the clutch on the compressor engage when you turn on the A/C? Turning on the defroster of your heating ventilation system should also cause the clutch to engage, and the A/C to operate, it does this to remove the moisture from the air and clears fogged windshield faster. There is a low pressure switch in the liquid line of the A/C that cuts off the compressor in case of low refrigerant due to leakages of oil and coolant that could cause damage to the system. If the system needs refrigerant, this switch will keep the clutch on the compressor from engaging. If this is the case, the system needs to be taken to an A/C shop for leak testing and repair of same.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #3

Many owners, including myself have had problems with evans temperature control valve not working properly. This valve is located in the line that supplies hot water from your engine to the heater core. When this valve malfunctions the hot water going through the core is too much for your ac to handle.
When you put your controls on ac, check hoses to heater coil and if they stay hot your valve is sticking open. Some owners have changed this valve and others have installed a ball valve to manually stop hot water circulation.
Either way it is much cheaper than ac repairs.
Good luck
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
K Man, you are correct on the make of compressor (Delphi). The Evans valve mentioned in the many posts you have read is a vacuum operated valve that controls the flow of coolant thru the heater core. Many coaches equipped with this valve have a problem of not shutting off completely, thus causing warmer than normal air to be discharged from the air conditioning, (the heater core and the evaporator for the A/C share the same case). Don't know if your coach is equipped with this brand of valve or not.........
Dieselclacker
K Man, what DC posted and I've quoted above is correct....but I want to add that "some" of the Evans valves are electrically operated, not vacuum. Mine is electric and has been replaced twice because it would not totally stop the flow. Apparently the coach builder decides whether to operate the valve from a vacuum or electric dash control knob. You can "test" to see if the valve is the problem by simply removing the hose going to it and plugging the hose with a tapered dowel or a bolt of the correct diameter. Good luck, ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dieselclacker:

Thank you for your reply. As far as I know, the defroster is working properly. I do not know where to find the Evans valve you mentioned. Nor do I know if it is electric or vacuum. I am taking the unit in on Wednesday to a Workhorse Centre. Hopefully, they will be able to solve the problem at a reasonable price.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you look to the left of your hood opening you will see the Evans heater/AC unit. The ball valve is installed in one of the heater hoses. If you look at picture to the left of valve you will see the Evans control valve with two heater hoses working through it.
The ball valve will stop hot water from entering the heater portion of Evans unit so AC doesn't have to overcome the hot water in heater portion that ball valve will close off from heater.
Some people have received new control valve from Evans but not sure now that they will still replace it gratis. Easier to just place the ball valve.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks, 007. I will go to where the unit is parked tomorrow and have a look.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
check your vac lines for very small cracks before you take it in. Thats what fixed mine after 2 shops wanted to rpl comp,etc.Do a search and see what others have done to fix
Old 10-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
JDSR: Thank you - I will do that. Hopefully, I am able to locate the problem before the shop is.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the same problem with my 03 Kountry Star. You can check the Evans valve with a pair of Vice Grips. Just squeeze the hose, try the AC if cool than the valve is sticking open. I used a large door hinge 6" and bolted it shut until the replacement valve showed up. The new valve has been working since (Knock on wood) but some have changed it several times. Good luck
Old 10-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks, roadwalt. I will try that. I still have not had a chance to go to the unit. I have to locate this Evans valve. The picture from 007 will help for sure.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #12

K Man: Just to be clear. In 007's picture the Evans valve is the one in the upper left corner. The hose clamps bolt heads look golden in Roger's picture. Evans is not the ball valve he installed in the lower hose. Good luck in you search. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Excellent - thanks, Edgray. I will get to the unit tomorrow for sure. I want to be reasonably sure this is the problem before the shop gets a crack at it. They are not a true motorhome shop. They are really a truck centre that is qualified to do Workhorse work. I am not real certain what they will know about AC work on motorhomes.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This may be helpful to other people with the same problem. I found the Evans home page. They have a complete listing of all their dash systems with troubleshooting and fix-it guides.
Here is the URL: Evans Tempcon, Inc