Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2006, 08:43 PM   #43

Update on the 2004 Safari Trek:

I spent a couple of days doing careful tests of AC exit air temp vs. engine and condenser temps. Previously I had measured the condenser fin temp at about 150 when the AC exit air was essentially at ambient (hot!). I did the new test starting each one with a cold engine. This time I found a few places I could measure condenser and trans cooler temps from top to bottom (the refrigerant runs from top to bottom in the condenser).

What I discovered was that the AC quit functioning effectively well before the condenser reached a high temperature, and further that the bottom of the condenser never got warm enough to explain the AC not working. The system worked noticeably better on a cold day (ambient in the mid 60s) but still went from a delta in-out of 25 degrees shortly after startup to 10 degrees after about 15 minutes of idling.

So I found an AC mechanic that was willing to dig into it a bit. On cold startup the pressures quickly ran to 400/100 and the compressor then shut down. After the pressures dropped it would come on momentarily, pressures would go back up within seconds, and it would again shut down. As the engine and condenser heated up, the compressor spent most of the time shut off.

We then checked the refrigerant for contamination (100% 134a, no air or other) and pumped it all from the system, all 4.26 lbs of it. The sticker on the evaporator says 32 oz., but it is from SCS and I was suspicious of that figure. I called Monoco, they suggested 2.5 - 3.0 lbs. So we put 2.5 lbs in and tried again. Now the pressures ran 225/30 and got only up to 275/40 at fast idle with the engine temp stabilized. The intake/ext temps were now 80/46, better than ever before. I have driven it around a bit and the exit air stays below 48 degrees.

It is baffling that when Monoco in Oregon took it to their Workhorse repair facility with the specific complaint that the AC did not work and there might be a fault in the overpressure circuit, it was returned from Workhorse and Monoco with a statement that it was functioning normally. I suggest anyone with a problem with the AC find an expert willing to spend some time diagnosing the system, rather than just pumping more refrigerant in (or whatever they did at Workhorse).

I hope it continues to work as well as this. Saves me the work of reworking the whole cooling system. I'll see in a couple of weeks when we drive back to Oregon through some very hot country.
HMS Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!