Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2006, 09:04 AM   #1

I am experiencing the same problem KBach66 is, I have no cold air. I did some minor troubleshooting and could not find anything so far. I am not getting any voltage to the 2 prong plug going to compressor clutch, thus clutch is not engaging. I am hoping a professional can give some suggestions. I have checked the fuse, substituted a relay of equal value, checked voltage to relay and checked voltage to pressure switch and both give me a 12.5 reading. I took a contunuity check across the pressure switch and did not get any continuity at the prongs. I am not sure if that was the correct way to check the pressure switch or not. I am wondering if I would be low on refrigerant, would that cause me to not get a voltage reading at the compressor clutch? Any suggestions or troubleshooting ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Don.

Banks,Safe-T-Plus, Davis Tru-Trac, Rear Stablizer, Garmin 7200
Don Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2006, 09:04 AM   #2

I am experiencing the same problem KBach66 is, I have no cold air. I did some minor troubleshooting and could not find anything so far. I am not getting any voltage to the 2 prong plug going to compressor clutch, thus clutch is not engaging. I am hoping a professional can give some suggestions. I have checked the fuse, substituted a relay of equal value, checked voltage to relay and checked voltage to pressure switch and both give me a 12.5 reading. I took a contunuity check across the pressure switch and did not get any continuity at the prongs. I am not sure if that was the correct way to check the pressure switch or not. I am wondering if I would be low on refrigerant, would that cause me to not get a voltage reading at the compressor clutch? Any suggestions or troubleshooting ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Don.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:16 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might try a momentary jump across the pressure switch with a jumper wire, and see if the clutch engages. If it does, you are low on refrigerant.

Dieselclacker
Old 12-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #4

I did try a jumper across the wire to the pressure switch and did not hear the clutch engage. I was working by myself and was unable to visually see it engage, I assumed I would hear it but I will try it with a helper and have them verify if it is engaging. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #5

I just tried a jumper wire across plug terminals that go to pressure switch and nothing happened, no clutch engagement. I did get a surprise when I installed the jumper, my radiator mounted electric fans turned on, I never expected that to happen. I am wondering if there are any more troubleshooting suggestions that I might try. Thank you, Don

Old 12-04-2006, 10:42 AM   #6

I think you jumpered the incorrect switch,look for a grey one....
the fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 10:58 AM   #7

I may have jumpered the wrong one, I think I was just following suggestions. I can't locate a gray one, any idea the location or what it might look like?

Old 12-04-2006, 11:16 AM   #8

The one I jumpered was attached or screwed into the ac line and it sort of resembles a spark plug. I removed the wire from the top of it, took a voltage reading across the two female openings of 12.6 volts and inserted a jumper wire into the plug I removed from this pressure switch. As I stated befoe I got no action from the compressor clutch but the electric fans went on, to my surprise.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:28 PM   #9

Don,
I haven't had a chance to do anymore troubleshooting on my system. But I do remember when I checked for voltage at what I believe is the same connection that you're talking about, when I plugged the connector back in the fans came on for a split second....actually startled me a bit

I'll let you know if I find anythine else out once I get a chance to look it over more.
KBach66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:39 AM   #10

I also was startled by the fans coming on when I jumpered the switch. I thought it was a coincedence at first cause I had the motor running but after trying the jumper several times the fans came on every time. Iguess I will keep olling and trying different ideas I get from everyone. If get lucky kbach66 I will post my findings. I am thinking I just might try to recharge the system and see if that gets things working again.

Old 12-05-2006, 04:02 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I would suspect the fans would come on when the clutch engages. Especially at low or no rpm. Once the vehicle is moving and plenty of air is moving through the radiator and condenser the fans will shut off. I've noticed in the past when running the dash ac the fans come on a lot more often then without the ac running.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 04:48 AM   #12

I agree Bob, it seems that they are connected electrically and it does make sense that they would come on until I get some air flow. It just startled me since I was working about 2 feet from them when they came on.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:49 AM   #13

I tried some of your suggestions again yesterday. I jumpered the wire plug at the low pressure switch, the one on the 5/8 line between the compressor and ac/ heater box, and clutch did not engage. I removed wire plug at the clutch and got a 13 volt reading. Plugged in again and still no engagement. I also got the electric fans running when I jumpered the plug. I am wondering if this indicates a bad clutch or something else. Any more ideas or suggestions? Thanks, Don.