Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Daytime running lights on Monaco Lapalma

I need to get the daytime running lights working on my recently purchased 2003 Monaco LaPalma before it will pass the RIV inspection to import into Canada. Any ideas on a simple way to get them turned on? I read somewhere that the W22 chassis came with DRL.
Saskboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskboy View Post
I need to get the daytime running lights working on my recently purchased 2003 Monaco LaPalma before it will pass the RIV inspection to import into Canada. Any ideas on a simple way to get them turned on? I read somewhere that the W22 chassis came with DRL.
YES, the W-22 is DRL "ready" as delivered to the coach builder. However, Monaco would have added the actual light assemblies, and I suggest you check with the to verify your model actually has DRL feature installed. Good luck and enjoy your new coach!
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Try turning your windshield wipers on for 2 strokes. My low beams come on. Someone else on this site told me about this and it works.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
pie

daytime running lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
YES, the W-22 is DRL "ready" as delivered to the coach builder. However, Monaco would have added the actual light assemblies, and I suggest you check with the to verify your model actually has DRL feature installed. Good luck and enjoy your new coach!
Ed
Hello Ed
I just bought a 2003 LaPalma with a workhorse chassis and also have to have DRL for RIV how did you make out and what did you have to do to got it working?
pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DRL

If the pic shows up. there is an open plug in the large box in the first passenger compartment. Module from monaco plugs in to that plug.

Mike
IMAG0891.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0891.jpg
Views:	993
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	45630  
Old 09-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pie View Post
Hello Ed
I just bought a 2003 LaPalma with a workhorse chassis and also have to have DRL for RIV how did you make out and what did you have to do to got it working?
I never did get the DRL to work with the headlights like they are supposed to.
On my coach if you leave the fog light switch on the fog lights will turn on and off with the ignition switch. I put a piece of tape over the switch so it was on all the time. The RIV inspector passed it as the fog lights are working as running lights. I would like to have the proper DRL working if it is possible.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskboy View Post
I never did get the DRL to work with the headlights like they are supposed to.
On my coach if you leave the fog light switch on the fog lights will turn on and off with the ignition switch. I put a piece of tape over the switch so it was on all the time. The RIV inspector passed it as the fog lights are working as running lights. I would like to have the proper DRL working if it is possible.
Take it to a shop that does RV Chassis work. They'll know how to wire one in. That's what I did with my other 03 Holiday Rambler Vacationer which would be the same basic RV as yours. They just wired the module in to the headlight wiring harness.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I must say the I'm learn more each day how complex the DRL system on the W22 chassis. I've been working for weeks trying to fix our 2002 Winnebago Adventurer DRL system. I'm not sure about the Monaco but at the tech request at La Mesa I ordered and received a very small PC Board he promised will fix my problem. I'll let you know the results. Jerry
kstateaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, I received the PC Board ($110.00) and it's now installed. Bad news is still have the problem. The problem being all four headlights are on during daylight travel. Still searching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My '99 has DRL's. It has a DRL relay and a DRL module. The relay was there but the module was missing. Plugged one in from a Volvo highway truck and it worked. I used it to go to Canadian Tire for the RIV inspection. Then took it back out. I don't need it because I automatically pull the light switch.......day or night, always have.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #11
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateaddict View Post
Well, I received the PC Board ($110.00) and it's now installed. Bad news is still have the problem. The problem being all four headlights are on during daylight travel. Still searching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have you taken it to an RV chassis shop? Might be a simple wire reconnect job to activate singles.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hindsight is 20-20. When I bought this coach at LaMesa RV last January, I should have got them to get the DRL working before I took delivery.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Dogpatch,
My problem with the DRL system is a long story that evolved from the Shroud/Fan explosion that took out the Radiator. When we replaced the Radiator,Fan and Shroud I noticed on engine start all four headlights were on. Really didn't concern myself with that issue at the time until we started blowing the ENGI fuse on engine start. After days of checking wires trying to find the fuse problem we discovered the DRL system is inline with the fuse. We found the shorted wire which fixed the ENGI fuse problem but still had the DRL issue.
I've had La Mesa Techs involved here in Tucson and the GMC dealer in Reno but still have the problem. I'm pulling the coach out of storage in a few weeks and will get after it again. I'll keep you informed. Jerry
Old 09-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #14

If you know the wires to the drl all you have to do is connect the positive wire to the ignition wire coming from the main fuse box under thehood. Since it comes on with the fog lights its already grounded you just hsve to movve the positive from the fog lights to the ignition do when you tstart the RV they turn on.
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights, monaco