Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #15

Our W22 chassis Itasca has every suspension mod available except Sumo Springs. They were all installed at the same time. The coach handles like a dream. For a gasser it really is impressive.

When we got our W24 Adventurer it was completely stock with no suspension enhancements what so ever and 28,000 miles on the odo. My very first trip was 800 miles from DC to St Louis MO along I-70. The tail wag from being overtaken by semis was horrendous. Every single Semi that passed me would push the coach sideways and require my immediate input to the steering wheel to keep the coach on the road. It was one of the worst driving experiences I have ever had. Nothing else really upset the chassis like approaching Semi's.

In St Louis I installed the Rear Ultra Trac from Ultra RV Products. Install was simple and took under an hour. All bolt on with no drilling. The handling improvement was incredible to say the least. 95% of all that tail wag was gone. Only certain Semi's at certain speeds will give me the hint of tail wag. The vast majority of approaching Semis cause no tail wag at all.

It still has some lean in cross winds and there is some very light nose wag as semis pass. Bridge approaches and pot holes are still a little rough compared to my W22 Itasca. But the rear track bar on our Adventurer made a huge difference in the handling. I will eventually buy and install all the same suspension mods for the W24 but the handling is so much better than stock I will probably hold off for a little while.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Our W22 chassis Itasca has every suspension mod available except Sumo Springs. They were all installed at the same time. The coach handles like a dream. For a gasser it really is impressive.

When we got our W24 Adventurer it was completely stock with no suspension enhancements what so ever and 28,000 miles on the odo. My very first trip was 800 miles from DC to St Louis MO along I-70. The tail wag from being overtaken by semis was horrendous. Every single Semi that passed me would push the coach sideways and require my immediate input to the steering wheel to keep the coach on the road. It was one of the worst driving experiences I have ever had. Nothing else really upset the chassis like approaching Semi's.

In St Louis I installed the Rear Ultra Trac from Ultra RV Products. Install was simple and took under an hour. All bolt on with no drilling. The handling improvement was incredible to say the least. 95% of all that tail wag was gone. Only certain Semi's at certain speeds will give me the hint of tail wag. The vast majority of approaching Semis cause no tail wag at all.

It still has some lean in cross winds and there is some very light nose wag as semis pass. Bridge approaches and pot holes are still a little rough compared to my W22 Itasca. But the rear track bar on our Adventurer made a huge difference in the handling. I will eventually buy and install all the same suspension mods for the W24 but the handling is so much better than stock I will probably hold off for a little while.
That was exactly my experience as well.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have an '04 Newmar Mountain Aire, that I purchased & the W-22 chassis was "box stock". Being new to "RV's", the 260 mile trip home was an experience.
Yes, it did have the "tail wag" & "front end push" from the semi's passing.
Once home, I immediately started looking into what improvements to make.
Added the "Ultra RV Rear Trac Bar", & it made a huge difference. As some have stated, I would say about a 90% improvement. Also noticed "less roll" on exit ramps.
Installed the "Safety Steer" steering stabilizer and it made a difference in steering input.
Did a 250 mile trip last weekend, & it was a pleasure to drive. Even had some cross-winds, about 5-10 mph(according to weatherman), & barely noticeable!
From the input of others in this forum, the "Sumo" front springs, & "Koni" shocks are next, & am hopeful they too, will improve the ride & handling!
Thanks for the input, & advice. Very knowledgeable & helpful folks in this forum!
Will update after the other changes! Have fun, enjoy the adventure!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:12 AM   #18

Just completed my first 100+ mile drive since installing front and rear trac bars, and it really is quite an improvement. It was very windy, with 30+ mph gusts, and only once did I get a little white knuckled when I let the rear wheels drop onto the shoulder just as a big gust hit. The tail-wagging-the-dog effect is much improved, even though I wasn't able to install my new shocks yet
Old 04-19-2019, 06:35 AM   #19

My observation is that a rear trac bar will hurt your mileage - you will drive faster once it is installed

The rear trac bar addresses a root cause. What happens is that the rear springs flex sideways. SO when you turn, there is a delayed response to the change in direction, because you have to wait for the springs to absorb the direction change. This results in over correction, as the angle of the coach does not represent the path of the axles. The coach feels very unresponsive to steering input.

I did UltraRV's recommendation and changed out the shocks at the same time I did the rear trac bar. This made a huge difference in the handling. Not only did it help steering response, but got rid of the sideways push when passed by trucks. Their recommendation of doing the shocks as the same time is spot on, as otherwise the rear trac bar will increase the leaning feel of the coach. Since the rear axle is now attached to the coach, the will lean sooner, rather than just swing sideways.

I did take one trip before installing the front trac bar. The improvement from the front trac bar was no where near what the improvement from installing the rear trac bar.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:41 AM   #20

I installed a trac bar, new Bilstein shocks, and a Roadmaster steering stabilizer. One hand steering now. No more white knuckles.
Tov61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #21

This is all very interesting.

I manufactured the front track bar first, using one of the popular designs out there (happiness is having a metal working shop in your garage as a hobby). The front track bar was a marked improvement in tracking and steering response. Civdiv99 was pleased.

So, I then made a rear track bar, using the widely copied design of a plate on the rear diff and adjustable arm to a bracket on the frame. I noticed no difference at all. On the other hand, I'd never felt like I was tail wagging in wind or with with other traffic.

I'v since taken the rear one off, did a trip, and I couldn't tell I'd removed it. So I left it off. My tentative conclusion on all this is that there's probably a number of factors that impact what you will get out of that addition. Overall Coach length and weight distribution are probably key items. I think mine is supposedly about 34 or 35 feet (I've never actually measured, it, the challenge of needing to build a box to put it in has never come up). i can see someone in the 37' range having more rear overhang experiencing a different result.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:44 PM   #22

yes, yes, yes! supersteer on a 2005 airstream 26ft
trispeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:53 AM   #23

Interesting note, when I have more weight in the rear, full tank of gas or holding tank my rig handles better. My assumptions are that the added weight plants the rear suspension & reduces tail wag, or the weight added at a lower center of gravity reduces body roll, perhaps a combination of both.

FSE Industrial Ceramic Kilns.
akpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:11 AM   #24

Update to my own experience after installing front and rear trac bars: Yesterday I encountered very strong winds on the edges of a storm passing through central Az. I certainly got pushed around, but it was nowhere near the white-knuckle experience I would have had before adding the bars. Why these were not standard equipment on every Workhorse chassis is beyond me.

I used the Davis Tru-Trac bar in the front and the Blue Ox in the rear, but they're all very similar in design, so I just went with the best deals I could find.

I haven't gotten around to installing my new Bilstein shocks yet, but I have to think that they will make it even better.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:43 AM   #25

We fitted a DIY Trac bar to our 1994 P32 30' Southwind last Summer. I've also done the shocks, rear air ride and steering idler. Even with all the other things I did, which all helped somewhat, the Trac Bar is the the one thing that turned our coach into a one hand drive.
Tail wag from passing semis is all but gone.
kennyrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #26

Did rear track bar help your workhorse chassis

Just had a super rear trac bar installed very heavy duty unit, also had the Road-master rear sway bar installed at L and S Performance in Montgomery, Tx great people to work with in at 730AM out by 3:00 PM. Did it change the Semi push yes it did it reduced the wag yes it’s gone even DW likes the ride now. So if you are down around Montgomery,TX 713-249-0780.
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
One of the best chassis mods you can do IMHO
Old 06-10-2019, 12:19 PM   #28

W22 questions

I have a 2003 W22 chasis and have had some recent/ongoing work done.

has anyone experienced a vertical movement on the steering column through to the steering wheel? I've had an alignment, front wheels balanced, left front tire moved 180 degrees to compensate for a small flat spot on the wheel. still have the movement. planning a new wheel. also will be installing the ultra rear trac bar and koni fsd's.

checked the steel framing for

holding the front cap on; it's good. am I missing anything else?
thanks, cheryl
BikerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, workhorse, workhorse chassis