RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #1

Differential ID and ratio

I have done several searches, trying to identify the differential and then the ratio of my motorhome. I have looked at the pictures shown in the chassis manual, but it does not look like any of them. I (we) have a 2001 Condor trail lite. It has the 8.1 litre engine and the WH chassis number is 5B4JP57G713328487. I also have a production slip showing all the options, but nothing indicates what the rear axle is. There is no fill plug in the diff cover but there are two fill holes, one if each side in the actual housing. there is also a bolt on flange where the yoke goes into the differential housing. Any help would be appreciated.

Bumperfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumperfood View Post
I have done several searches, trying to identify the differential and then the ratio of my motorhome. I have looked at the pictures shown in the chassis manual, but it does not look like any of them. I (we) have a 2001 Condor trail lite. It has the 8.1 litre engine and the WH chassis number is 5B4JP57G713328487. I also have a production slip showing all the options, but nothing indicates what the rear axle is. There is no fill plug in the diff cover but there are two fill holes, one if each side in the actual housing. there is also a bolt on flange where the yoke goes into the differential housing. Any help would be appreciated.
I'll look it up and get back to you.

OK: SPID 005 - 4.56 Gear // C7N - 12.3K GVW // GL1 - 7.9K GAWRR // 7.50Rx16D Rubber
Dang .. that's 1 small motorhome you got there.

I tried to look up the differential housing in my materials and I can't find one that matches your ratio (4.56) no pictures unfortunately. This axle must have come in from GM possibly since I don't see it listed.

I'll fire off a mail and see what I can come up with for you.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
According to the info I can access for that VIN #, the rear axle ratio is 4.56. You have a 7,900 pound GAWR-R and a GAWR-F of 5,000 pounds with the total GVWR of 12,300 pounds. The tranny is GM 4L80-E four speed and 16" wheels.

Sorry I could not identify the axle maker. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:17 AM   #4

Smile

Yes, it is only 25 feet long. It seems the right size for the two of us at this juncture. We took it to a provincial park for a couple of days, sort of a shake down cruise, but one close to home in case anything went wrong. Everything went well, hot water heater did not work properly, but thanks to some research on this forum, I discovered that there was a bypass valve left open by the tank that was allowing the hot water to mix with the cold. Once I shut the valve off, water temperature at the sink tap was 145 degrees. We plan on heading east for a couple of weeks in August, so I feel I need to know as much as I can about our little motorhome. I have ordered a new serpentine belt, 103" long. I would like to get a gatorback, but they seem to be unavailable here in Canada. The differential looks to be quite skookum, I will take some pictures this afternoon, and If I can figure out how to post I will. Thank you all for your help, we are just rookies at this and there will be a learning curve.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumperfood View Post
I have ordered a new serpentine belt, 103" long. I would like to get a Gatorback, but they seem to be unavailable here in Canada.
Bumperfood, The members here have met with mixed results while using Gatorback serpentine belts.

Better to go with a Gates belt for now!
Old 07-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #6

It's a Gates that I ordered, so all is well in that respect. I have taken a few of the differential pictures in the hope that it may help in identifying the axle assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5159.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	4569   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5160.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	4570  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5163.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	4571   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5164.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	4572  

Old 07-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The answer that I received today was that it's most likely a "Little Dana." I didn't have time going into the holiday weekend to get a definite answer from him but I'll get something better for you after the holiday.

Some guys are on vacation too!
Old 07-03-2010, 12:31 AM   #8
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think 26011826 casting number is the ID from American Axle and Manufacting in Detroit Mich.

Thus a orginal GM in house rear Diff.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:12 AM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Thus a original GM in house rear Diff.
Quote:
Originally posted by Driver
This axle must have come in from GM possibly since I don't see it listed.
gg, Thanks for confirming my suspicions!

A number of these parts (GM OE) were indeed obtained by WCC when they bought out the entire operation in 1999 from GM so I expect they used these until the supply was exhausted.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #10

Right> So The consensus is a GM differential. That's is where I next started looking, and I think you are right. My conclusion from all the research I and all of you have done is that we have a GM 14 bolt corporate rear axle with a 4.56 ratio, and a ring gear diameter of 10.5in. I'm pretty sure that it is not 11.5 because it seems that it only came with disc brakes whereas ours has drums. As DriVer said they would have exhausted there supply of parts when they bought out American Axle in 99. Thank you all so much for your input and advice. We both appreciate it. Have a safe and happy Independence Day weekend